Author Topic: This Addiction is pleasure.  (Read 2564 times)

Offline mrlooolz

This Addiction is pleasure.
« on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 05:44:37 »
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to come over, say Hello and talk about a few things, and tell you how I ended up on GH.

1) Background into Mechanical Keyboards: I owned a Logitech G19 for about 5 years and lately it started to give out. It is in my nature to research anything I want to buy, and so my journey of discovery began.
Don't lynch me, but I started on Reddit. They have a section wiki and I just started to read and look around and it is like a stumbled upon this new world and I love it.

About a month in I started to hear about ducky shine 5 (mx browns) and decided that is they keyboard I want. At this point , I still did not even fathom how someone can use these tiny 60% keyboards. Eventually I ended up find a shine 5 pre-order and went for it. It should arrive here by end of Jan. I live in Dubai, and I am pretty sure the culture of Mechanicals has not really caught on here. People would just opt for branded boards like Razer,Corsair. I mean the market would be tiny anyways, so I get gitty about being the first Shine 5 soon to be owner here. I use a proxy from the states and Just can't wait.

2) I usally like to own a few things. If it works I don't need two if it. I was thinking I just hope my shine 5 has no dead LEDs and I would be golden. Then one day I come across this post here on the forum, called the white fox. So I discovered GH. I started to browse around and especially on the white fox. I guess I kinda fell in love with the culture here. The replies on that post got me so amped about the white fox , that as soon as it landed on MD, I went for it. I actually sold an old Sennheiser PC 360, to afford it. I used the guidance in this community to trust my instinct. Matt3o sold close to 1000 boards in less than 48 hours. UNBELIEVABLE! (drop still open btw). I went with the truefox and Zelio purples. I am a little worried about the assemble, especially with what I read here on GH about the Zelios. I havent ever soldered anything but I will take my time and try to get this right. I have asked MD to assemble it for me for an extra fee, but they coudn't. Seeing how probably nobody here ever seen a 65% before, I dont think I can find someone here. Any guidance here I would appreciate.

3) So 3 months in, 2 keyboards, on pre-order. never even tried an MX switch but I am super amped. However I still haven't created a GH account. So i started to snoop around and look at artisinal caps and there was this post for hotkeys and I posted my first post about how I would spend Christmas. I was snooping around the Clack sub and realised if I ever want to have a clack key one day, I need to start contributing here and so it begins really with this post!

Forgive my rant and nice to meet you all!
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline stoic-lemon

Re: This Addiction is pleasure.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 05:52:20 »
Welcome! The time from now until your White Fox arrives is the perfect chance to hone those soldering skills.

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 06:31:38 »
Welcome! The time from now until your White Fox arrives is the perfect chance to hone those soldering skills.

Thanks! I will buy a temp control solder and a practice kit!

I am just a little worried because I read somewhere here that the Zelio's are tricky if you warm the base to hot :( plus the LEDs :D -\_(',')_/-

Offline cseng

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:28:54 »
Enjoy your stay :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:55:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I think I saw another member from Dubai not that long ago.  I definitely don't think you're the only one!

There's the famous soldering thread with a heap of valuable information and links.  Feel free to ask more questions about soldering there, especially for tips on soldering Zelios.

If you can, find an old piece of electronic equipment that has been thrown out, an old DVD player, or old computer parts, get a soldering iron, and practice removing components from the board and soldering them back on again.  It won't matter if you damage anything as it was broken to start with, but will provide very valuable practice for you.

As for broken LEDs on a Ducky, I have three Ducky Shines, and none of them have had any problems with the LEDs.  But if an LED does fail, with your new soldering skills you can remove the old LED and solder a new one in!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 07:45:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I think I saw another member from Dubai not that long ago.  I definitely don't think you're the only one!

There's the famous soldering thread with a heap of valuable information and links.  Feel free to ask more questions about soldering there, especially for tips on soldering Zelios.

If you can, find an old piece of electronic equipment that has been thrown out, an old DVD player, or old computer parts, get a soldering iron, and practice removing components from the board and soldering them back on again.  It won't matter if you damage anything as it was broken to start with, but will provide very valuable practice for you.

As for broken LEDs on a Ducky, I have three Ducky Shines, and none of them have had any problems with the LEDs.  But if an LED does fail, with your new soldering skills you can remove the old LED and solder a new one in!

Oh the infamous Rowdy blessed my post !

Thanks man, the support of the community has got me feeling confident. I ordered a soldering practice kit for like $5 of Amazon. I got a few months to practice.

Since I have you here, I started to invest in Artisans and I bought 2 keys from the Hot Key project. I was also hanging around on the clack section. I was in the Flux post the moment it opened up for all members. I havent posted but I was following the Update. I put in a request for the grey skull f2 , because the ??? skull sold insta.

I sent the request 2 mins early, well to be honest with the time difference , I just got excited. I know in the rules Mr.Clack doesn't like that, so i waited till 2 mins after the buy to send another email , Apologizing and saying this is the one that should count. No further emails at this point. I mean the guy is amazing and I dont want spam him. I waited on the post for about 40mins till everything sold out.

I never received an email with payment information and the orders have shipped. I did send him an email inquiring about where I went wrong, so I can rectify this for a future buy. I mean i think it is amazing what he does and I dont want to pester him with such little details so maybe you could give me some advice :)

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 08:08:23 »

Let's be honest here, Rowdy is everywhere ;)

Also Welcome to GH!
TP4 fanboy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:05:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks man, the support of the community has got me feeling confident. I ordered a soldering practice kit for like $5 of Amazon. I got a few months to practice.

Since I have you here, I started to invest in Artisans and I bought 2 keys from the Hot Key project. I was also hanging around on the clack section. I was in the Flux post the moment it opened up for all members. I havent posted but I was following the Update. I put in a request for the grey skull f2 , because the ??? skull sold insta.

I sent the request 2 mins early, well to be honest with the time difference , I just got excited. I know in the rules Mr.Clack doesn't like that, so i waited till 2 mins after the buy to send another email , Apologizing and saying this is the one that should count. No further emails at this point. I mean the guy is amazing and I dont want spam him. I waited on the post for about 40mins till everything sold out.

I never received an email with payment information and the orders have shipped. I did send him an email inquiring about where I went wrong, so I can rectify this for a future buy. I mean i think it is amazing what he does and I dont want to pester him with such little details so maybe you could give me some advice :)

When did I become infamous? :))

HKP are great - I should start collecting again.  Actually I think that's what's on my HHKB at the moment, I can't think where else I would have gotten them.

Uh Clack sales - with email sales you need to get your email in within the first 2 seconds.  Not joking.  Those sales are crazy!  Early is almost always disqualified.  More than 5 seconds has virtually no chance.  Sorry about that :(

Not all sales are like that though - there's a few different sale formats - that one just gets the heart pumping and the adrenaline rushing as your finger hovers over the mouse button to click "send" ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:58:37 »

When did I become infamous? :))

HKP are great - I should start collecting again.  Actually I think that's what's on my HHKB at the moment, I can't think where else I would have gotten them.

Uh Clack sales - with email sales you need to get your email in within the first 2 seconds.  Not joking.  Those sales are crazy!  Early is almost always disqualified.  More than 5 seconds has virtually no chance.  Sorry about that :(

Not all sales are like that though - there's a few different sale formats - that one just gets the heart pumping and the adrenaline rushing as your finger hovers over the mouse button to click "send" ;)
[/quote]

Oh Gosh, I was in at 9:02! my first email was 8:58 lol. I have good camping skills so hopefully one day in the future :) I just need to get the exact time diff now.! Thanks for taking the time.

I will use my new two HKPs, the war master on the ducky and the raven kinda suits the white fox. God march is gonna be tense for me as i solder the zelios. Will follow everything above! Many thanks  ;D

Quick Question, why does my post count stay 0?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 05:05:38 by mrlooolz »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:39:59 »
it's only pleasure because you haven't had andes chocolates.

THAT addiction is pleasure
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 23:57:25 »
Yummm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 03:55:36 »
Quick Question, why does my post count stay 0?

Posts in new members, off topic and classifieds do not count towards your total.

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 04:49:13 »
That's good to know!

Offline codywanks

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:09:12 »
Hey there mrlooolz!

I'm new here too, and like you my presence in GH has something to do with the WhiteFox.

I recall reading some comments in MD's WhiteFox discussion page from a guy in Dubai who thought he owned the first Shine5 and had some concerns with soldering. I guess that's you :)

Anyway, nice to meet you and take care

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 12:17:21 »
Hey there mrlooolz!

I'm new here too, and like you my presence in GH has something to do with the WhiteFox.

I recall reading some comments in MD's WhiteFox discussion page from a guy in Dubai who thought he owned the first Shine5 and had some concerns with soldering. I guess that's you :)

Anyway, nice to meet you and take care

Haha i do whine alot. yeah its me. Nice to meet u <3