Author Topic: Hi, I don't have a mech yet (Going to custom build my own)  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Gaeel

Hi, I don't have a mech yet (Going to custom build my own)
« on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:41:45 »
Hi Geekhack,

I'm Gaeel, a video game developer and internet rando based out of France, and I've started my quest for the perfect mechanical keyboard.

I use AZERTY layouts, I travel a lot, I don't want to be too loud, but I like to feel the keypresses, and I don't mind getting down and dirty either in software or hardware.

So far my quest has led me to reject pretty much any keyboard I've laid eyes on, so I'm doing the only reasonable thing there is left: building my own.

I've ordered some Cherry MX Clears, those rainbow keycaps from Massdrop, sent off an order for an aluminium cut plate I designed with builder.swillkb.com and keyboard-layout-editor.com

Here's the layout I've decided on:
120276-0

It has ANSI and ISO features; this should make it easier to find caps, while allowing me to stay within my typing habits on a french AZERTY layout. I call it the ANSISO layout (**** it, I have no idea what I'm doing, okay?)

I'll take plenty of pics of the good and the bad, and I'll let you know how this all pans out.

In the mean time, I'm going to lurk around, enjoy the beautiful pictures of random keyboards, and pray I have what it takes to pull this build off!
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:52:38 by Gaeel »

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Re: Hi, I don't have a mech yet (Going to custom build my own)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:56:16 »
looks like its going to be a cool build. i did the same thing somewhat. decided to build my own.

best of luck in your adventure!
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Gaeel

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:30:06 »
looks like its going to be a cool build. i did the same thing somewhat. decided to build my own.

best of luck in your adventure!

Yeah, I figure if I don't succeed, at least I'll have a good time and learn a bit during the experience.

You have a write-up about your build?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:33:38 »
Kind of. But not really. It's more pictures than anything else. I need to do a full post on it. Been lazy. I call it the wood60. I'll send you some pictures.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Gaeel

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:41:54 »
Full wood is an interesting choice, looks quite nice. Would be cool if you shared your experiences, I was wondering about making a wooden plate because I was having trouble finding a good place that would cut aluminium and ship to France

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:43:58 »
I have a CNC so prototyping in wood is quick and easy for me.

So far it's working well for me.
Projects

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:28:56 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Setting the bar too high ... and then building a ladder to climb over it - smooth :)

Azerty does prove problematic with sculpted keysets, as the A and Z keys are usually different heights to the ERTY keys, unfortunately.  But you have a world of (uniform) SA and DSA keycaps to choose from!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Gaeel

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:38:02 »
It's not so much the actual keys, since I'll probably be using blanks anyway, it's that AZERTY mapped to ANSI loses the chevrons key (next to left shift on ISO and my layout), which is a super NOPE for programming (or I find a way to never use generics or comparison operators again)

(Also, setting bars high and building ladders is a theme with me, I fall off ladders a lot, but I try to learn from each fall)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 04:10:21 »
It's not so much the actual keys, since I'll probably be using blanks anyway, it's that AZERTY mapped to ANSI loses the chevrons key (next to left shift on ISO and my layout), which is a super NOPE for programming (or I find a way to never use generics or comparison operators again)

(Also, setting bars high and building ladders is a theme with me, I fall off ladders a lot, but I try to learn from each fall)

I think I have some older DEC terminal keyboards that have a dedicated < > key.  Must have been a thing back in the day.  Thinking back I can't remember using < or > much programming on those terminals, apart from comparisons.  I wonder who had the idea to put them both on the same key originally.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ