Author Topic: Hello! I'm new to all of this...I dont even currently own a mech...  (Read 884 times)

Offline kurple

Like everyone else here Im fascinated my mechanical keyboards. It's mainly because I love good design or ever engineered products. I also like being able ot make something your own. I've been wanting to get a mech for a while but I could never truly find one that I liked. I might eventually get a CM storm quickfire since it's so cheap..I'm thinking I'll like MX browns.

The main reason I joined this forum is because I want to build my own keyboard from the ground up. It'll be a while, im the research phase in learning how to do all of this. I've modified electric guitars so I'm no strange to solder and everything else will be a fun and welcomed challenge. I have 2 laser cutting spots near to me and one of them does work with PCBs.

I'm so in love with those sandwich wafer cases like on the GONs, Matt3o's and 22kbd. All of their design work is very inspiring to me and they make the most beautiful keyboards I have ever seen....sort of why I want to build one from the ground up.

I'm gonna shoot for 65% to 70% with an acrylic and aluminum case, alu plate. I want to make my own PCB, so hopefully I can make a very unique layout but I still want it to at least have as many keys as a 65% with maybe some additions around the edges. I'm also planning on a split space bar, of course!

I don't know anything about any of this, after I guess my design roughed out I'm gonna contact the laser cutting places and see how this all works out. Any help would be appreciated, or tips.

I've already been reading through almost every post in the DIY section and other sites like r/mk and deskauthority. I've seen a bunch of great you tube vids by people like Whitefiredragon. I may not post a lot around here in the future but I will be busy trying to absorb as much information as possible. My ultimate goal to to make my dream keyboard and I think I can do that...especially with a little help from ya'll!

Thanks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello! I'm new to all of this...I dont even currently own a mech...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 03:45:29 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

First of all, good luck with your project :)

From the list of what you intend, I'd say making an aluminium case will be the most difficult/most expensive.

PCBs are relatively easy to do (for someone with the knowledge and equipment), and almost everything else is off the shelf, but a good case is the hardest to make, even with the right equipment.  Just thinking of that HHKB case on Massdrop as an example.

If you've already seen making stuff together, I can probably just point you at the recommended reading thread that contains a few good links to essential information on many aspects of mechanical keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ