Author Topic: Hello, i'm happy to be joining the mechanical keyboard community.  (Read 2506 times)

Offline Connly33

Hello, i'm happy to be joining the mechanical keyboard community.
« on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 17:17:32 »
My username on almost all platforms is Connly33. I'm fairly new to the mechanical keyboard community, with only owning one mech keyboard as of yet. But thanks to many on reddit and this forum i have learned a lot, so i have decided to join the forum's.

As for my current board i have a Func KB- 460 with blue cherry MX switches, though i have put my mind to it and have purchased nearly all of the part's for a build i want to do ( ironically it is going to be the geek hack color scheme) , to summarize it i am going to use a poker III case, with a GH60 satan PCb ( all i could find on short notice) with cherry MX Clears ( after hearing mixed opinions, i went out and found someone with a clear board, and i love the feel of them, granted blues greens and whites are all i have experienced personally). And an awesome orange anodized top plate i won from a small giveaway Leandre in the comments of one of skiwithpete's live streams. Needless to say i have learned first hand that this hobby, or lifestyle for some :p , is indeed a money pit, a money pit that unfortunately for my wallet i am willing to fall into.  Anyway ill go into my build further on a post in the right part of the forum or in the comments.

Aside from my new mech keyboard hobby i have many other hobbies, including electronic's/ repair , ham radio, road biking, high power flashlights ( or torches) PC modding and building and a few other things that pertain less to my mechanical keyboard hobby.

First 2 pics are my Func KB460 with some new keycaps ( i also pulled it apart to change some of the LED's to different color's) and the 3rd is of the awesome backplate from Leandre
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:17:23 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Hello, i'm happy to be joining the mechanical keyboard community.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:39:55 »
Get hhkb and join the only community that matters.

And has cookies.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:40:23 »

And has cookies.

Bull**** I never got one

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:43:52 »

And has cookies.

Bull**** I never got one
I should make myself clear.

You have to devote yourself to just hhkb for a cookie. If you own ****erry you don't get a cookie.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:46:52 »

And has cookies.

Bull**** I never got one

You have to devote yourself to just hhkb for a cookie. If you own ****erry you don't get a cookie.

What if I use my cherry keyboard as a plate? Need to catch the butter from this crab roll on something.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:47:15 »
Oh also, sup connley.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:47:49 »

And has cookies.

Bull**** I never got one

What if I use my cherry keyboard as a plate? Need to catch the butter from this crab roll on something.
MAYBE as a napkin.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:50:58 »
I had been looking at Hhkb's and have heard a lot about them but that price x.x, well i suppose that's not to much more than what im spending on my current keyboard im working on. But i am really interested in Topre switches. And cookies sound good

Offline Connly33

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:52:38 »
Oh also, sup connley.

Not to much, just waiting on my Cherry clear switches to get here acctually. Making room for new box's in my closet.

Dont think im willing to 100% devote myself to hhkb lol , i want to try many different switches.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2015, 20:54:17 by Connly33 »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 21:57:24 »
Oh also, sup connley.

Not to much, just waiting on my Cherry clear switches to get here acctually. Making room for new box's in my closet.

Dont think im willing to 100% devote myself to hhkb lol , i want to try many different switches.

Welcome!

save $$$. Buy HHKB and forget about it.

You can get a switch tester for like $20 and swap out ones you want to try. It's not the same as having a full board dedicated but you at least get a good idea. Or, buy a PCB mounted keyboard (like an old Cherry board) and swap out springs/sliders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 05:03:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like you have the skills to build your new keyboard :)

Don't forget to check the making stuff together section for other build logs and construction tips.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Connly33

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:39:51 »
Oh also, sup connley.

Welcome!

save $$$. Buy HHKB and forget about it.

You can get a switch tester for like $20 and swap out ones you want to try. It's not the same as having a full board dedicated but you at least get a good idea. Or, buy a PCB mounted keyboard (like an old Cherry board) and swap out springs/sliders.

Part of the fun for me though is having at least a few different keyboards, but i do want to get a switch tester and find out what i want for my daily driver, and i will definitely go find someone with a topre based board to see how it feel's... or just get one to see if i like it. I could always sell it on mech market or something if i didn't like it. I see a lot of people that didn't like topre at first, but after a week with them they couldn't go back to anything else for there daily driver board. And it seems like it would be the best for the issues i have with both of my wrists from an accident with a window at a young age.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:42:51 by Connly33 »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:42:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Don't forget to check the making stuff together section for other build logs and construction tips.

Thank you for the welcome !

I definitely will check it out and go through some build logs before i start my build, i am anxious to hurry up and start it but i want to learn from other's mistakes if possible so i minimize the amount i may make with my first.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 21:42:55 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you for the welcome !

I definitely will check it out and go through some build logs before i start my build, i am anxious to hurry up and start it but i want to learn from other's mistakes if possible so i minimize the amount i may make with my first.

Hurry slowly :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ