Author Topic: (AUS) IBM Model M Keyboards - P/N 42H1292 and 1391401  (Read 4466 times)

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:41:41 by strafe »
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Re: (AUS) IBM Model M Keyboards - P/N 42H1292 and 1391401
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:03:13 »
dude, nice find!

I've been meaning to try BS for a while now, so i might grab one of these.

the third one's missing a cap, the second one has a bit of a mangled cable, and the first one is a bit dirty

if you weren't planning on grabbing one of these yourself, do you think the first one is the best bet?

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:23:43 »
Yes I think so.  Ideally I would prefer one with a removable cable, but the first one still looks nice - you don't see many UK manufactured Model M's come up for sale in Australia.

Also, the third one is missing one of the arrow caps which could be a bit troublesome to replace.  The Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys I usually replace with RGB ones from Unicomp :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:26:11 by strafe »

Offline raymogi

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:25:24 »
dude, nice find!

I've been meaning to try BS for a while now, so i might grab one of these.

the third one's missing a cap, the second one has a bit of a mangled cable, and the first one is a bit dirty

if you weren't planning on grabbing one of these yourself, do you think the first one is the best bet?

Yeah go for the first one for sure. Such an awesome deal :)
Please feed my addiction.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:31:47 »
snagged it! $48 aud posted for me.

Thanks for the find strafe and thanks for the help guys!

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 04:41:09 »
No Probs  :thumb:

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 08:23:34 »
If you buy one that's missing caps, get in touch with me. I might have spares.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:15:31 »
The third one would have been the best choice with the SDL cable.  Did you get that one?  Even though it is missing a left Ctrl and a left arrow, that could be replaced.

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 10:48:40 »
First is 42H, and that's the only one I've heard about having a lot of problems.
Second one is 52G, which as far as I know is basically a cheaper-made 1391401... non-removable cable?
Third one is 1391401, clearly the best type of Model M apart from space savers.

I didn't even notice the left arrow.
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:19:26 »
2/3 gone already!

Nothing wrong with a fixed cable - you just need a PS/2 to USB adaptor.  This one works well for me: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/usb-to-ps2-serial-multimode-adapter
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 07:12:52 »
The one that's left is still a great deal.  It's actually cleaner than the blue lable M I'm using right now, lol.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 17:36:43 »
I'm eventually going to buy one of these when they come up, as it'll be the perfect excuse to move to Oz, which I've always wanted to do, and save all that shipping.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 06:33:09 »
I'm eventually going to buy one of these when they come up, as it'll be the perfect excuse to move to Oz, which I've always wanted to do, and save all that shipping.
LOL! 

I can't wait to visit down under.  It's been on my list of place to visit for most of my life.  After meeting the people online on two forums, it seems like a great place to experience.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 07:27:25 »
STRAYA MITE!

I'd love to go to Australia, people from there seem really friendly. But all the alien ultra-deadly wildlife is scaring me away!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:14:57 »
Is the cable fixable on the one that is left? can't tell if removable.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:22:16 »
got my board! (I bought the first link)

overall shape is pretty good bit dirty, minimal physical damage, almost no yellowing except the space bar. haven't plugged it in yet.

one thing that I have noticed is that the barrel plate (?) seems to be crooked, so that some keys' back faces catch on housing. also some keys don't actuate unless I push down a bit further than usual.

this is my first BS so I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but there's a bit of friction in the downpresses?

looking forward to taking it apart for a good cleaning and a bolt mod. my uneducated guess is that there are some broken rivets going on under there.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:28:40 »
Is the cable fixable on the one that is left? can't tell if removable.

The cable is non-removable.  You have to open the case and detach the cable from the controller, and replace the cable.  It's pretty simple to do.  You can order a new one from Unicomp, or make one with an older PS/2 cable, but be sure to get the pin-out's correct.

The good thing is, you can wire to the existing connector.

When you open the case, you can detach the controller from the keyboard, and the cable from the controller.  Replace the cable, hook up the controller, and you're done.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:29:52 »
Nice, well we will see who wins!
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 08:36:08 »
Might get in on this as well haha

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 12:13:02 »
one thing that I have noticed is that the barrel plate (?) seems to be crooked, so that some keys' back faces catch on housing. also some keys don't actuate unless I push down a bit further than usual.

this is my first BS so I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but there's a bit of friction in the downpresses?

looking forward to taking it apart for a good cleaning and a bolt mod. my uneducated guess is that there are some broken rivets going on under there.
Shouldn't be any friction, especially between the keycaps and the case.  I think your observation on the barrel plate being crooked might be a clue as to what may be going on.  It could be something as simple as it not being put back together correctly after being opened (for whatever reason).  Probably won't hurt to open it up and check to see if things seem to be in the right place.

It might have suffered some shipping damage, so make the seller aware of the issues.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 19:25:11 »

Shouldn't be any friction, especially between the keycaps and the case.  I think your observation on the barrel plate being crooked might be a clue as to what may be going on.  It could be something as simple as it not being put back together correctly after being opened (for whatever reason).  Probably won't hurt to open it up and check to see if things seem to be in the right place.

It might have suffered some shipping damage, so make the seller aware of the issues.

CONGRATS on 1000! :cool: You've made it to the big leagues baby

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 00:30:41 »

Wow!  I didn't even notice!  Thank you!  :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 02:16:53 »

Wow!  I didn't even notice!  Thank you!  :cool:

Congrats :)

There's a milestone thread btw, where you're welcome to flaunt your post kount.

Will you be requesting a star?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 04:20:52 »
Good to know, just noticed I'm pretty close too xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 07:31:42 »
Congrats :)

There's a milestone thread btw, where you're welcome to flaunt your post kount.

Will you be requesting a star?
Thank you for the links Rowdy!  :thumb:  Yes, I believe I will ask for a star.  :cool: