Author Topic: Soldering station from Maplin UK  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Vimto

Soldering station from Maplin UK
« on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 03:07:54 »
I'm gonna be doing my first soldering when the Whitefox arrived and was wondering if anyone has had experience with this Soldering Station from Maplin in the UK?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-mains-lcd-solder-station-a55kj

Also reading various articles I've heard you can't get lead solder in the UK any more and was wondering what solder people would recommend

Apologies if this is the wrong section to put this question in.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Connly33

Re: Soldering station from Maplin UK
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 04:09:28 »
I haven't used that iron, but i have used a few low cost similar chinese model's. And that is definitely way ahead of any non controllable mains soldering iron, and should be fine if your not going to be doing a lot of soldering. I just got my first Hakko iron a couple months ago, a hakko FX888D for $80 USD. But i do a lot of electronics repair and for just a few projects now and then i think that iron would be great.

As for solder, if you can try to get lead solder, for longevity and ease of use its way better, I use a 60% tin 40% lead solder from Kester. But if you cant get any leaded solder there id still say try to go with a brand like Kester or Multi Core, using good quality rosin core flux solder is even more important for lead free solder. And make sure you find out what the recommended temperature is for the solder you use, required temp for lead free is a bit higher.

Im Actually building my first keyboard but i do have a fair amount of soldering experience. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2015, 04:23:34 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 04:59:38 »
I bought that exact iron. It's good, does the job and has controllable temperature.

This site has some lead solder and lead flux, as well as some other irons you could look at:

http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/

I'd also suggest a good tip cleaner, instead of the awful sponge.

http://www.somersetsolders.com/460-tip-cleaner/p275

They also have some leaded tip tinner.

http://www.somersetsolders.com/tip-tinning-powder-leaded/p284
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline Vimto

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 23:23:22 »
Thanks for all the help and info.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 00:05:52 »
If you have an iron that gets hot enough and some good lead free solder you should have absolutely no trouble using lead free solder. Heat is the biggest issue for most people I believe. I use a Weller WMRS with a WMP 80 watt iron and a good sized chisel tip along with some MG Chemicals 4900 solder ( 96.5% tin, 0.5% copper and 3% silver) and I have no problems at all with through hole or SMD. Keep in mind I commonly keep the heat cranked up to 750 F or higher for some larger components. If you like smaller diameter solder Kester makes some that is the same formula as the MG Chem, but a smaller dia.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 00:12:17 »
...also, you don't need any special tinning compounds. Just make sure to "tin" your tip often with the solder you are using. A wet sponge is fine to use. It's just that smaller thermal capacity irons take longer to recover from the shock of the water. Solder and a wet sponge do a great job of tinning though.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline DreaMagine

• Head and shoulders, keys and toes
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 00:12:33 »
Does this solder station say what type of tip it comes with? Often the cheaper ones come with a large conical tip which is mostly useless. Chisel tip is what you will want to use most of the time. Maybe consider making sure you have one of those.