Author Topic: Help me getting started  (Read 1294 times)

Offline domsch1988

Help me getting started
« on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 05:51:12 »
Hey folks,

first off, i'm not sure if this is the right sub forum. It might be Keyboard, Ergo or here. Feel free to move as needed...
So, a short introduction: I joined GH a few days ago. Mainly because i learned about the Ergodox, did some research and bam, GH  :D I love this community and i find all the threads here very inspiring. Now, thats where my Problems start:

Currently i'm using a MS Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard. It's been a pleasure so far, but i feel the need to get more ergonomic. I like the idea of a split keyboard, non staggered keys and overall a better layout. Although MS claims the Sculpt is ergonomic it really isn't. Yeah, it's split, but thats about it. The Arrow cluster and all the additional keys (Insert, Delete...) are all over the place, being hard to find. The F-Keys are horrendous. I'm an IT Professional and use these to death. Them not being proper keys is a big let down.
Additionally, the Options of changing keys and Layouts are sub par. I mean, why have a split Spacebar in the first place when you are not able to remap one to Backspace? Even the Comfort Version (non Split Sculpt) is able to do that...

Long Story short, i need something better. First thought was: no problem, i'll buy an Ergo Dox. So i thought. After realising, that kits are only available through MD, and sourcing all the Parts in Germany is 1. uber expensive and 2. near impossible i looked further. The past week i now started to think about my own design. I spend countless hours on the Keyboard Layout Editor. I now realised, that i could spend the next decade trying to come up with a layout that might work and not get anything done.

This is where i need some help. Please recommend me a keyboard. Either ready made or some kind of ready made design i can build on my own.

Needs:
- Split (either fixed or two half, latter preferred)
- non staggered Keylayout
- Close to full key count (i NEED F-Keys, all modifiers and the "middle Block"). I'm fine with layering, but 60% is way to few keys.
- Mechanical (doesn't matter which keys. Cherry Brown preferred. None are source able as singles in Germany, so i need to order from overseas anyways if i go diy)
- Palm rest (yes, i use it. Always)
- If no thumb cluster, thumb backspace at least

Wants:
- Thum cluster (i really, really like the idea)
- fully programable (i type qwertz, but since most keyboards aren't german, i'd need to remap the Umlaute ä,ü...)
- wired (most are, but wireless is really not for me)

What I'm able to do is:
- soldering (i'm a diy guitarist, i build pedals, guitar wirings and amps. No Problem here)
- I might be able to get some acrylic laser cut. Need to ask but a friend of mine does have a laser cutter at work
- Programming (I'm an IT professional. With some documentation i'm able to work through everything computer related)

Sadly no big wood working, no CNC or 3D printing. All these things i don't own and not really able to source anywhere near me.

So based on needs and skills, what would be your recommendation? Wait for the next ErgoDox Drop? Wait for any of the 20 soon to come done keyboards (Axios, ErgoDox EZ, Kings Assembly...)? All of them have been in the works for long and i might have to wait years... Build something my own? Which designs would you recommend for starters?

And finally, where am i able to get Cherry keys? I'm from Germany and, although Cherry is a German Company, i'm not able to find a shop where i'd be able to buy them. Mechanicalkeyboards.com has them, but shipping is like 30$. Should i just look on eBay for a used keyboard and rip it apart?

Any input is majorly welcome. I feel I'm getting lost in this whole keyboard thing before getting started really  :confused:

Thanks for staying with me and reading all this  :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Help me getting started
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 07:09:38 »
If you just want an ergodox you m might check this out

falbatech.pl/prestashop/index.php

Offline domsch1988

Re: Help me getting started
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 07:40:49 »
If you just want an ergodox you m might check this out

falbatech.pl/prestashop/index.php
Interesting... How is the general consensus on the quality of the Greetech switches they offer? I have never seen these before.
Just before reading your post, i had some spare time at work and thought i'd start "easy". So, to get me started on the soldering and the whole teensy programming stuff i though of a "plank" style board. I have a Quickfire TK with Red switches. They're not my favourite but should get me started for getting something done. I've yet to open it up and see how easy the switches are to remove.

For a layout i've extended the plank setup for my needs:
Layout
L1 is a momentary Layer Toggle (German Characters, some frequent punctuation, maybe some macro?)
L2 and L3 are mainly because of spare buttons  :)) Maybe a toggle for mouse control or something like that.
I need to find a spot for Alt Gr ("need" i might be able to work around that with L1)

The Idea is getting two acrylic plates cut. One for the bottom 4 rows and one for the F-Key/Number Rows. Then angle the Top Plate a bit for easier access. The Space key will be actually two switches. To have the opportunity to have 2 1U keys if i can get along with a 1U Space. Looking at the shiny part of current keyboard it should work  :))

What do you think? Doable as a first time job?

Edit:
I can't get the Permalink to work. May someone help me with that? I clicked on permalink on the website and just copied the link from the adressbar. Are there additional steps i need to do?

Edit 2:
A picture, since the link doesn't work...
121330-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2015, 08:07:19 by domsch1988 »