Author Topic: in search of PCB  (Read 1178 times)

Offline whodevil

in search of PCB
« on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 15:20:31 »
Hello,

I'm interested in building a keyboard. I'd like the top row to be similar to the HHKB, and a function key next to the right shift like the HHKB. I looked at the infinity keyboard, I really like the layout, but the group buys all seem to be stale and it looks like the controller is surface mounted. It looks like I might be able to do something like that with the gons nerd 60, but I don't really want to use the controller that is on that board. I like the GH60, not sure if I'd be able to get the layout I'm looking for and group buys appear to be stale, but I like the way the controller isn't onboard. Ideally, I'd like to use something more powerful than the teensy, maybe an intel edison.

It looks like both the GH60 and infinity have their PCB open sourced, I wonder if I could have them printed as one off's somewhere.

Can someone point me in a direction?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

Re: in search of PCB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 17:04:40 »
Hello,

I'm interested in building a keyboard. I'd like the top row to be similar to the HHKB, and a function key next to the right shift like the HHKB. I looked at the infinity keyboard, I really like the layout, but the group buys all seem to be stale and it looks like the controller is surface mounted. It looks like I might be able to do something like that with the gons nerd 60, but I don't really want to use the controller that is on that board. I like the GH60, not sure if I'd be able to get the layout I'm looking for and group buys appear to be stale, but I like the way the controller isn't onboard. Ideally, I'd like to use something more powerful than the teensy, maybe an intel edison.

It looks like both the GH60 and infinity have their PCB open sourced, I wonder if I could have them printed as one off's somewhere.

Can someone point me in a direction?
First of all: Welcome to Geekhack!

GH60 and Infinity keyboard both do have onboard microcontrollers. GH60 uses Atmel ATmega32U4, an AVR-family microcontroller, and Infinity uses a Freescale MK20DX32VLF5 (if I'm not mistaken), an ARM-family microcontroller. Both these microcontrollers are used on Teensy, by the way: Teensy 2.0 uses ATmega32U4 and Teensy 3.x uses MK20DX32VLF5. And you really don't need anything more powerful than that. Intel Edison is a computer to all effects, so it needs an operating system and boot time to get operational. Wrong tool for the job.

The second post of the GH60 group buy thread shows many of the layouts available on it. Unfortunately only the Revision A & B sources are available, the group buy was made with Revision C PCB.