Author Topic: Greetings GH!  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Pestik

Greetings GH!
« on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 18:50:59 »
I've been lurking here for a while, researching mechanical keyboards in preparation of finally making the jump from my ancient Microsoft rubber dome board. I'm really drawn to the higher quality compared to rubber domes and the vast amounts of customization options available. My current board is on its last legs now and getting harder and harder to use, with noticeably more friction and irregular actuation pressure around the WASD cluster (I use it for gaming also).

After trying out a few different types of switches in person at local retailers I've decided that MX browns/blues feel too soft and mushy, and that I'm not a fan of linear switches in general. I want to go with a heavier tactile switch type with a more well defined actuation point, which basically leaves just MX clears and topre. I couldn't find any boards with topre or MX clears to actually try, but from the descriptions here on GH and elsewhere it sounds like topre may be the way to go.

I have a 55g Realforce tenkeyless on the way from EK already, hopefully arriving later this week. Now I just need some nice topre keycaps... HHKB looks tempting too...

This stuff is addictive :)

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Greetings GH!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 18:59:20 »
NOW GET HHKB
I'm sorry demik

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:20:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

MX clears and Topre do feel quite different, but I'd choose Topre any day.  Except for the cost, unfortunately :(  I like my CODE with clears, but I like my HHKB too, a shame they are not available with 55g domes.

There's also unfortunately not that many Topre keycap sets available, and the few that are are expensive and difficult to find.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pestik

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 22:49:42 »
I snuck into the WhiteFox drop before it ended, getting it pre-assembled with MX clears and vanilla layout. So I should be able to compare MX clears with topre side by side soon, or at least as soon as the second wave of WhiteFox boards ships in May.

It's also nice to have at least one board with cherry stems so I'm not limited to just the tiny selection of topre keycaps.

I'm just sad that there was no pre-assembled option for MX greens or zealios.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:26:52 »
I snuck into the WhiteFox drop before it ended, getting it pre-assembled with MX clears and vanilla layout. So I should be able to compare MX clears with topre side by side soon, or at least as soon as the second wave of WhiteFox boards ships in May.

It's also nice to have at least one board with cherry stems so I'm not limited to just the tiny selection of topre keycaps.

I'm just sad that there was no pre-assembled option for MX greens or zealios.

Zealios - good luck there!

MX greens - I remember when they were as rare as, and I snapped up a QFS with MX greens when I could.  Glad I did so - I quite like them :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pestik

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 23:54:15 »

MX greens - I remember when they were as rare as, and I snapped up a QFS with MX greens when I could.  Glad I did so - I quite like them :)

Surprisingly, the Zealios were not sold out when I placed my order. At least the were selectable on the checkout page. I believe there was another batch added right after christmas, before the drop ended.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time or skillz to put the thing together (never soldered anything before), so I opted for the easy way out with pre-assembled MX clears. Slightly regretting not getting the Zealios now though, it could have been a fun long-term project.

MX greens definitely sound interesting. Might be a bit too stiff though.... the actuation force is even higher than MX clears! I should probably invest in a switch tester of some kind.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:14:45 »

Surprisingly, the Zealios were not sold out when I placed my order. At least the were selectable on the checkout page. I believe there was another batch added right after christmas, before the drop ended.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time or skillz to put the thing together (never soldered anything before), so I opted for the easy way out with pre-assembled MX clears. Slightly regretting not getting the Zealios now though, it could have been a fun long-term project.

MX greens definitely sound interesting. Might be a bit too stiff though.... the actuation force is even higher than MX clears! I should probably invest in a switch tester of some kind.

Greens seem lighter to me.  Clears are about the only switch I don't bottom out every single keypress.

Offline Pestik

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:25:44 »
Greens seem lighter to me.  Clears are about the only switch I don't bottom out every single keypress.

Good to know. I have a tendency to mash keys due to using a rubber dome keyboard for so long, but I'm hoping the increased resistance on the clears will help me learn to type without bottoming out.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:56:42 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 01:57:11 »

Good to know. I have a tendency to mash keys due to using a rubber dome keyboard for so long, but I'm hoping the increased resistance on the clears will help me learn to type without bottoming out.

Once you get used to a mechanical keyboard, you will realise that you do not NEED to bottom out all the time, but it does feel nice :)

Apparently, with practice, you can teach yourself to not bottom out on most mechanical switches, thinking of MX blue/green/brown/clear in particular.  I have fairly strong fingers though, so bottoming out just happens for me, on all of my keyboards except occasional keypresses on my CODE with clears.

Offline Pestik

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 02:57:53 »
NOW GET HHKB
listen to demik

I gotta admit it was pretty tempting! Chances are I will probably end up getting one eventually, once my wallet recovers a bit from the Realforce + WhiteFox combo.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 03:00:42 »
NOW GET HHKB
listen to demik

I gotta admit it was pretty tempting! Chances are I will probably end up getting one eventually, once my wallet recovers a bit from the Realforce + WhiteFox combo.

If you like the feel of the RealForce, the HHKB will seem more and more tempting.

Offline Reigning Hell

• Forever Fiending 4 a V2
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 03:08:44 »
Wow a realforce AND whitefox! you're comin in hot  :cool:

I only have an MX 60%, but when I get a topre board (no doubt for my next), the realforce v. HHKB will be a decision.

Reasons for HHKB over a full RF topre board?? Besides it being sexy  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 03:11:33 »

I only have an MX 60%, but when I get a topre board (no doubt for my next), the realforce v. HHKB will be a decision.

Space.

Feel.

Sound.

Layout.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 03:22:43 »

Space.

Feel.

Sound.

Layout.
LISTEN TO THIS GUY!!!