Author Topic: This is so very cool - a flexible roll-up OLED display  (Read 1404 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
This is so very cool - a flexible roll-up OLED display
« on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 04:27:46 »
I know they have been working on this technology for at least a decade, but it looks like it's finally nearing consumer levels. Very exciting, this is the future of screens here. Probably OLED wireless screens you can take with you and resize with charging mounts everywhere connecting everybody to everything. But for now here's this:

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: This is so very cool - a flexible roll-up OLED display
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 14:25:44 »
It does look good. But I think they brought out the prototype too early. I don't see why you would want to roll your TV away. Also, why would you want a TV bigger than 55 inch in your house?

I just want to have a watchable newspaper I can take out on the train or bus or something.

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:44:23 »
I come to think that this technology will be used in places like town square, maybe smartwatches too. We will have to see.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 16:57:38 »
Ive been following OLED screen technology for quite awhile and im excited were at the point where it's in a large amount of mobile devices, and now is trickling into computer monitors and TV's. Mainly for the contrast ratios that are possible and the color reproduction and not so much the portability implications.

But it would be really nice being able to roll up an external monitor for a laptop and throwing it in my backpack, or being able to have a portable full size monitor to bring with me when i do my LAN rig.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:07:51 »
Ive been following OLED screen technology for quite awhile and im excited were at the point where it's in a large amount of mobile devices, and now is trickling into computer monitors and TV's. Mainly for the contrast ratios that are possible and the color reproduction and not so much the portability implications.

But it would be really nice being able to roll up an external monitor for a laptop and throwing it in my backpack, or being able to have a portable full size monitor to bring with me when i do my LAN rig.

Same here. The first time I heard about OLED's was in some Scientific American article about the gadgets of Goldeneye, where 007's watch used an OLED display. The article went on to discuss paper-thin screens that you could stretch, resize, and roll up into your backpack. This was about 20 years ago, so to see this technology actually come to fruition is really cathartic.
I am very much looking forward to entire walls being able to be covered in OLED screens almost like wallpaper, which would serve so many uses in a home... even as changeable wallpaper! It'll probably be another 15-20 years, but it's nice that it's happening. This is what will replace LCD's in the near future.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:36:46 »
Also, why would you want a TV bigger than 55 inch in your house?

Wait... are you joking?

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 00:48:13 »
Also, why would you want a TV bigger than 55 inch in your house?

Wait... are you joking?

Yeah, that was my question too. I only have one TV smaller than 55".

On the topic at hand, pretty cool to see how far they've come. It'll be interesting to see what the first one costs when they're finally ready to be purchased.