Author Topic: build log - The "108"  (Read 2419 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
build log - The "108"
« on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:19:05 »
Let me start off by saying i love compact keyboards however when i'm doing autoCAD or 3D CAD having a num pad is super handy. that said i decided to build a full size keyboard and then some. one of my requerements of a keyboard is media keys. because Play/pause, Next, Previous, Mute, are very handy keys for me. other than media keys the standard ANSI layout is what i'm aiming for. yes its bit boring but for me its super functional and its for me so  :p

the design was fairly simple. 108 keys on the top and about a 2in built in wrist rest at the bottom just enough to give a smooth transition from desk to keys, i'm hoping.

also since im horrible about doing build logs. im throwing this together before i forget :3

123241-0
123243-1
123245-2
123247-3
123249-4
had to file each hole by hand after putting on several coats of lacquer. worth it
123251-5
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
Re: build log - The "108"
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:22:18 »
You get an A for effort, that must have taken alot of time. how did you make the holes for the swithces?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 08:24:15 »
You get an A for effort, that must have taken alot of time. how did you make the holes for the swithces?

thanks  :))

the design file was created in part using Keyboard Layout Editor and Skill's plate builder. threw the exported DXF into Fusion360 and generated the model and CAM paths. after that it was off to my CNC for the milling.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 23:30:41 »
Projects

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:27:16 »
The hand filing each hole on a fullsize board wasn't enough work work for you so you're handwiring it too :eek:  Pale switches against a dark wood background looks great though so should be worth it.

What are you planning to use as the controller?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 14:33:03 »
The hand filing each hole on a fullsize board wasn't enough work work for you so you're handwiring it too :eek:  Pale switches against a dark wood background looks great though so should be worth it.

What are you planning to use as the controller?

apparently i'm a glutton for punishment ;D

but the truth of the matter is when i'm doing my CAD stuff i really use the full num pad alot. and this will be a daily driver so having things spread out is handy. i currently have a rubber dome steel series keyboard which i hate more and more every day. so it has to go and the sooner the better ;). that statement was made so i can say this, i'm currently working on PCB design and with my CNC i can etch them myself however i haven't perfected the design or techniques requred just yet. that and other projects like the GHJD40 case in the build to give back (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78455.msg2001299#new) i'm working on. and an 18in long PCB board is a ***** to find.

as for the controller i'm hoping a teensy 2.0 or 2.0++ will work as i dont have experience in anything else. not much with the teensy and TMK to be honest but i learn best by doing :3 so jump in with both feet it is ;)
Projects

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 15:31:38 »
That is a big board to find a blank PCB for, but you could always do it in two parts with the Teensy (a 2.0++ will be needed for this many keys) half on each side so you only need to connect the 6 rows between them :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 16:02:08 »
That is a big board to find a blank PCB for, but you could always do it in two parts with the Teensy (a 2.0++ will be needed for this many keys) half on each side so you only need to connect the 6 rows between them :thumb:

right on. i'm still building it. i need to decide on a bottom plate as well as controller placement so hopefully it will be done soonish ;)
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:47:02 »

Actually finished the matrix last night. Time to order the teensy!
Projects

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:49:50 »
Yessss I was waiting for you to turn out something great with your CNC. Really like the layout. It's like an expanded full-size Ducky layout. Definitely handy to have all the buttons when you're doing CAD work. I really can't go without a numpad at work.

Really interested in seeing a homebrew PCB too :D

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:51:07 »
Thanks man. I have a boat load of projects in the works for this year. Going to be great!
Projects

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:54:24 »
Thanks man. I have a boat load of projects in the works for this year. Going to be great!

I have lots of ideas but we'll see if I execute. I might actually hit you up for help if you don't mind. I wanna make my own PCB.

Actually wtf, dunno why I'm talking about me. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 08:55:25 »

I have lots of ideas but we'll see if I execute. I might actually hit you up for help if you don't mind. I wanna make my own PCB.

Actually wtf, dunno why I'm talking about me. I'm excited to see what you come up with!
Sure thing man. That's one of my projects for this year  
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 19:10:58 »
Projects