Author Topic: Just got my Filco... Ok, how many of you enthusiasts have owned a Steelseries KB?  (Read 4646 times)

Offline F2a

Well I just got my Filco cherry blue keyboard in the mail. It's pretty nice and everything and I love the blue switches but I just realized how apparently awesome the steelseries steelkeys 6G (cherry black) keyboard I've had for years is.

Filco vs. Steelseries keys:
The filco keys seem cheap compared to the steelseries keys. The steelseries keys are thicker and heavier. I never really noticed but after reading some thread here I'm going to say that the SS keys must be (edit: laser printed I think). They are textured instead of smooth, and the lettering looks laser etched on. They don't look like the Filco keys do. Not only that but I've had this SS 6G keyboard for about 2 or 3 years now and the lettering isn't even wore off. Not only that but the 6G CAME WITH TWO KEY SETS! One black and one gray. So I have an extra set in a bag.

Now, I know that steel series doesn't make the 6G anymore but they make a new version and I'm not sure if it's just as nice.

So anyway, I might just end up putting the gray keys from the 6G on the Filco. Have any of you guys owned a steelseries keyboard and can comment on the quality?

PLEASE DON'T POST OFF TOPIC. This forum is the worst when it comes to staying on topic.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 November 2009, 20:05:18 by F2a »

Offline bitflipper

I've owned the SS7G for what seems like 2+ years. I also own 3 Filcos (2 brown, 1 fukka). My opinion is the SS7G is built very, very well. That said, I have no problem with the build quality of the Filco. On both keyboards, the keycaps are getting a little shiny. All plastic keycaps get shiny sooner or later. It does seem like the SS7G has a little heavier texture on the plastic and will prevent shininess a little longer than the Filco.

The keycap walls do seem a little thicker on the SS7G. I'm not sure what makes the Filco seem keys cheap to you, maybe it's partially the sound of the keyswitches. The cherry blues have that cheap plasticy sound.

The SS7G has a few more features than the Filco: 2 usb ports, headphone & microphone jacks, native ps/2 interface with a converter for usb, media controls accessed via fn key + F1-F6, braided cord sleeve. The num, caps, scroll lock leds are way too bright.

I'm not fond of the cherry blacks for typing, though. I prefer the browns. At first, the browns were too light, but after a few weeks of everyday use, I developed a lighter touch.

For a FPS, I'd choose the SS7G. For everyday, keying the Filco.

I didn't get any Gray keycaps with my SS7G. :-(

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Isn't there some problem with one of the Steelseries boards not supporting NKRO properly?

Offline bitflipper

Quote from: ch_123;135701
Isn't there some problem with one of the Steelseries boards not supporting NKRO properly?

I hope you're thinking of the DAS. I use it with the usb adapter so I haven't run into any n-key rollover issues on the SS7G.

Offline savage

Quote from: F2a;135683
The filco keys seem cheap compared to the steelseries keys./I]

Sounds like you received a defective unit...you should send it to me for assessment.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Quote from: bitflipper;135704
I hope you're thinking of the DAS. I use it with the usb adapter so I haven't run into any n-key rollover issues on the SS7G.

Well, NKRO is a bit over-rated, so it's perfectly conceivable that it might not be fully NKRO and you'd never notice it.

Offline F2a

Yes the new 7G is full NKRO. The 6G is 6 key limit I believe. After reading your past post I think the 6G keys are laser printed because you can't really feel them whereas on the Filco keys you can. Don't get me wrong I like my new Filco blue. It even comes with a molded plastic cover that I can use.

Offline F2a

Just thought I would also mention that my Filco blue came very well packaged.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Mmm, double shot keys! I got those on my cheap ol Focus with the complicated Alps.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline F2a

You're killing me Ripster, haha.

Offline hella

I just had the chance to try both the Filco Majistouch with black cherry switches and the Steelseries 7g.  Many people revere Filco's on geekhack and I was thoroughly surprised to prefer the steelseries G7 in overall boardfeel.

Most of this can easily be attributed to the better keycaps.  While the Filco does not have cheap keys by any stretch of the imagination I found the steelseries G7's sturdier keys to be much more soothing to type on.  The actuation force and switches are the same in both keyboards.  However, depressing the keys felt smoother on the steelseries.

I've provided some of my experiences with mechanical keyboards and my preferences below.  Take these into consideration if you're reading my opinions in hopes of purchasing either of these products.

Preferences:

I prefer a heavier actuation force.  However this does does not skew my preferences when deciding between the Filco Majistouch and the Steelseries 7g as the actuation forces are the same.

Background experience:

I've typed on various blue, black, brown, and red cherry switches.  I also have used a buckling spring keyboard.

Offline cmh

Hi guys I'm new here!

The Steelseries 6G was my first mechanical keyboard.  I had a ton of  problems with the keyboard disconnecting randomly so I had to take it apart and make sure the wire was properly secured.  Compared to the build quality of my Filco, the G6 felt very cheap, but I I've had this problem with previous Steelseries products.  Some of their new stuff looks much better.  That being said, I did like having that extra set of gray keys and it was the first time I got to customize my keyboard.

I just pulled a set of the Steelseries caps out of a box in my closet.  They show no signs of wear from the couple of years I used the keyboard and they do seem a bit thicker/sturdier than the standard keys that come with Filcos .  Keycaps don't really bug me too much, as long as they are not lose or cause me any issues with the keyboard itself I'm usually happy.  I do plan to buy a set of KBC  grey on white keys in the next upcoming weeks for my Filco though.
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline hella

You're the man Ripster.

I'm a long time listener, first time caller and I wanted to say thanks for your contributions to the keyboard community.  When I was looking to buy a new keyboard I found your articles and forum posts the most helpful.

Cheers!

Offline hella

Hey CMH, would you be able to make a comparison between the G6 and the G7?  

I'm looking to purchase another keyboard and I'm seriously considering the latter.  While I found the G7 of great build quality my 2-day run with the keyboard doesn't give me any premonitions of its longterm durability.  If the G6 and G7 are of similar materials and/or build quality I may consider purchasing another board.

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
I had a 6Gv2 and hated the easily dirtied keys and Cherry stabilizer.
If you want a black switch mechanical keyboard, I rather you get a Filco with black switch.
Steelseries uses the BIGASS enter which is BIGPAININTHEASS to replace especially when it dirties too easily.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline cmh

Quote from: hella;377220
Hey CMH, would you be able to make a comparison between the G6 and the G7?  

I'm looking to purchase another keyboard and I'm seriously considering the latter.  While I found the G7 of great build quality my 2-day run with the keyboard doesn't give me any premonitions of its longterm durability.  If the G6 and G7 are of similar materials and/or build quality I may consider purchasing another board.

I wish I could help you there.  I only had the G6 (original version) and never had the chance to use the 6G v2 or 7g keyboard.  The keyboard I had came with a very cheap braided cable and I eventually gave it to my sister because I was getting sick of having to fix it.  After a year or so of her typing on the the keyboard it started to have problems with the shift key being broke.  When I was at MLG Columbus some Starcraft 2 players were using the 6g v2 and it looked much different than my 6g.  I never had a chance to use the other models so I cant give a comparison on how they hold up compared to the other keyboards I've owned.  I will say that some of Steelseries newer products like the Xai mouse  have much better quality than the other stuff I used from the past.  

The one thing holding me back from using a Steelseries keyboard right now mostly is the black switches.  After using browns I prefer my filco for gaming and typing.  My brother just built a computer for gaming on a tight budget, but after using my filco he had to spend the money to get one.
Leopold FC700r (MX reds) | Realforce 87u 45g | Filco MJ2 Metallic Blue (MX Brown) | Filco MJ2 Tenkeyless (MX Red/Brown/Blue) | Ducky Shine II Tenkeyless  White LED (MX Red) | CM Storm QFR (MX Red)

Offline hella

As they always say, cleanliness is next to godliness.  The lady sure as hell wouldn't want to type on a keyboard that has tons of grime all over it.  Neither would any of my friends who come over for the weekly LAN man cave sessions in the garage.

Honestly, I love hard switches and I prefer the Model M buckling spring.  However my nasty townhouse neighbors have, out of ALL things to complain about, recently went to my landlord and complained about my loud keyboard.  He's a cool dude and gives us rent for cheap so I don't mind helping him in reducing the drama, no matter how lame my neighbors complaints are.  Old people, go figure.

Anyway, back on track... I appreciate the input CMH.  I'll definitely use your feedback on the G6 and I'll do some research on their newer things.  Cheers!