Author Topic: Hello from a lurker.  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
Hello from a lurker.
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 00:54:09 »
Hello all. A few months ago I bought my first mechanical keyboard. It was more of a huge impulse buy, and after using the magic of Google to research mechanical keyboards after the fact, I promptly bought another keyboard and returned the first one. I would repeat that process a few times until I settled on a keyboard. Oops.

Anyway, fast forward a bit more. I tumbled face first into this magical world of switches and keycaps. Unfortunately, my wallet tumbled with me face down and I seemed to have lost some change along the way, but I have no regrets so far. I've really enjoyed the journey thus far and look forward to continuing.

For those interested, here's my keyboard adventure so far in list format...because I want to share my experiences.
  • Corsair K70 Red LED Blue Switches (RETURNED) - I was initially at my local electronics storeI'm a vain PoS. Returned because the red LEDs weren't quite sitting well with me. After this, I would search endlessly for a Blue Switch RGB board, but Corsair discontinued them long before my search began.
  • Azio MGK1 RGB (RETURNED) - BLUE SWITCHES WITH RGB!...Unfortunately the size of the plate ended up bothering me after using the Corsair. I like my big boards contrary to most people I've seen here. Additionally, the keys were very, very noisy. Not just because of Blue switches, but because every time I typed, it sounded like the constant clinking of two aluminum cans against each other (Which makes sense because aluminum plate). I noticed the sound on the K70 as well, but it was a lot more apparent with this board.
  • Corsair K70 RGB LED Brown Switches (RETURNED) - I give up. My RGB Cherry MX Blue dreams are ded. Time to settle for Browns. I thought they were alright and got used to them. This was my daily driver for a little. And then Corsair's Refurbished Sale happened.
  • Corsair K70 RGB LED Blue Switches (RETURNED) - I FOUND IT. I BOUGHT IT QUICK. For IIRC ~$82 excluding shipping, I was a happy person. It was even cheaper than the Azio. Unfortunately, one of the glaring problems with this board that garnered it many complaints (I believe because Cherry MX Blue Switches and RGB LEDs in general are not on buddy-buddy terms heehee) was the rampant "non-clickiness" of random blue switches. I was not lucky and got a board with that issue. I requested a Corsair RMA, but unfortunately they didn't have the model in-stock. They offered me the option to take a refund, so I did.
  • Corsair K95 RGB LED Brown Switches (Not on my desk) - Also on sale as part of Corsair's Refurbished Sale. Grabbed this for either ~$87/89 idr excluding shipping. Well, not going to lie, I'm a sucker for good deals. I didn't need the last K70 mentioned + this board, but I'm one of those people who sees an INSANE deal and buys it anyway because...well...it was cheap. ;___; Currently, it's being used by my sister because I got this next keyboard:
  • Ducky Shine 5 RGB Blue Switches (Daily Driver @ Home) - My RGB Blue switch dream has come true. Currently what I'm using on my desk. I absolutely adore it. Feels sturdy, looks great, types great. I have no complaints.
  • Topre Realforce Black 87U  55G (Daily Driver @ Work) - Got this in the mail a week ago. I read about all the Topre goodness and I wanted to try it. I also read that a switch tester wouldn't necessarily give the true Topre experience, so might as well jump and get an entire keyboard. Worst that could happen would be that I would have to resell it if I didn't like it. I won't lie, it's...different. I don't hate it, but my hands do need some adjustment time. Pretty much used exclusively for work because I don't want to get click-clack-killed with something super noisy.
I've also bought a switch tester somewhere in the middle of all that chaos. I have the switch tester on my desk and it makes me happy. :)

From the list, you can see, I have had a penchant for RGB LEDs so far, but there's also something appealing about keyboards that don't have bells and whistles. Based on that feeling, future keyboards I want to try eventually: KUL ES-87 Cherry MX Clears, KB Paradise TKL Matias Quiet Click, Keyboard with Gateron Clears even though I'll probably regret this because of how easy it is to press down. But it's just so soft.  :-X

That about sums up my journey so far. It's far from over because I have a few more keyboards coming in that I'm looking forward to in the next few months. I've definitely learned a lot on my own since I first impulse bought that Corsair K70, but I still have a lot more to learn. Especially since I'm also wanting to get into learning how to put my own keyboards together down the road and a quick glance at all the resources shows that this is a good place to start.

...I've also recently discovered the sub-world of Artisans and...well...at least I don't like all of them. help.

Anyway, hello once again. I probably won't post quite often as I am an introvert most of the time (Except the times when I tend to blabber - see above), but I hope to participate every now and then. Thanks for having me. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello from a lurker.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 03:45:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You seem to have had an interesting journey so far - congratulations on finding your ideal MX blue/RGB keyboard.

My first modern mechanical keyboard was also a Ducky, and it is still going strong!

One keyboard you didn't have on your wish list is a Model M or a Model F ;)  Or an HHKB!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 05:09:21 »
Welcome! I feel like we are quite opposite of each other :P I like smaller boards and no LEDs
TP4 fanboy

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 06:10:04 »
Welcome to geekhack.

You are more than encouraged to join in discussions and share opinions. Many of us are highly opinionated and can come off harsh. Don't let that deter you though.

You should definitely try out an HHKB sometime, I doubt you will regret it. :)

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:05:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You seem to have had an interesting journey so far - congratulations on finding your ideal MX blue/RGB keyboard.

My first modern mechanical keyboard was also a Ducky, and it is still going strong!

One keyboard you didn't have on your wish list is a Model M or a Model F ;)  Or an HHKB!
Thank you!

And completely forgot about the Model M / F. I actually know someone who might have one in storage somewhere, but the place is such a mess that it would take me more than one weekend to actually look for anything in there. :|

And I'm on the fence with the HHKB. Not really sure if I could get used to the layout since I'm a huge user of cursor keys (Arrows + Home/End/etc.), Windows shortcuts (Win+D, etc.),  as well as the numpad (Thanks Excel!). I actually honestly really like the small form factor keyboards aesthetically and am interested in what all the hubbub of the HHKB is about, but I would be lying if I said the layout wouldn't drastically slowdown my current keyboard "workflow".
Welcome! I feel like we are quite opposite of each other :P I like smaller boards and no LEDs
Thank you! And I'll be honest, I can live without LEDs (i.e. my Realforce 87U 55g for work...although the Caps Lock and Num Lock light indicators are nice), but there's a strange calm I get seeing my Ducky keyboard transition between colors. Not sure if I could handle 60% or lower though. I'm still trying to get used to using the Realforce 87U's NumLock numpad for my number crunching sessions and it hasn't been going too smoothly. :P
Welcome to geekhack.

You are more than encouraged to join in discussions and share opinions. Many of us are highly opinionated and can come off harsh. Don't let that deter you though.

You should definitely try out an HHKB sometime, I doubt you will regret it. :)
Thank you! Even after a few months of running around the internet exploring other mechanical keyboard options, I still feel like a huge greenhorn and am a bit shy to share my opinions, but maybe that'll change.

I thought about the HHKB since I've seen a lot of people use it as their end-game keyboard, but not sure I could justify the purchase considering I am more of a large keyboard user, numpad and all. :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 23:39:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you!

And completely forgot about the Model M / F. I actually know someone who might have one in storage somewhere, but the place is such a mess that it would take me more than one weekend to actually look for anything in there. :|

And I'm on the fence with the HHKB. Not really sure if I could get used to the layout since I'm a huge user of cursor keys (Arrows + Home/End/etc.), Windows shortcuts (Win+D, etc.),  as well as the numpad (Thanks Excel!). I actually honestly really like the small form factor keyboards aesthetically and am interested in what all the hubbub of the HHKB is about, but I would be lying if I said the layout wouldn't drastically slowdown my current keyboard "workflow".

Many would suggest that a couple of weekends searching (and perhaps a little tidying) to receive a free (?) Model M (or Model F) would be well worth it :)

I tried using my HHKB at work under Windows, but the IDEs we use are far too heavily dependent on cursor navigation keys and function keys, and the transition was too difficult.

Instead I use mine on my Mac, which makes a lot more sense as control sequences work so mu better (Ctrl-A for beginning of line, Ctrl-D for delete character and so on).  Especially with the HHKB's Control key placement!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elaeagnifolia

• Click Quack.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 01:51:07 »
Many would suggest that a couple of weekends searching (and perhaps a little tidying) to receive a free (?) Model M (or Model F) would be well worth it :)

I tried using my HHKB at work under Windows, but the IDEs we use are far too heavily dependent on cursor navigation keys and function keys, and the transition was too difficult.

Instead I use mine on my Mac, which makes a lot more sense as control sequences work so mu better (Ctrl-A for beginning of line, Ctrl-D for delete character and so on).  Especially with the HHKB's Control key placement!

Bahhh, you've convinced me. Looks like tomorrow will be a cleaning day.  :-X

Although I seldom use my Mac, I'd be lying if the HHKB 45g didn't sound attractive right now since I've heard they feel heavier than RF 45g but lighter than RF 55g. At the moment, my RF 55g feels a bit too heavy on my tiny hands, but the RF 45g I very, very briefly tested felt a bit too light (I might have to test these again though). Having said that, I'm also considering the Leopold which also has been mentioned to feel heavier than RF 45g, but layout-wise, I'd still prefer TKL. Decisions, decisions...

Offline eat_the_food

• Bulb moon raisin
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 01:54:41 »

Bahhh, you've convinced me. Looks like tomorrow will be a cleaning day.  :-X

Although I seldom use my Mac, I'd be lying if the HHKB 45g didn't sound attractive right now since I've heard they feel heavier than RF 45g but lighter than RF 55g. At the moment, my RF 55g feels a bit too heavy on my tiny hands, but the RF 45g I very, very briefly tested felt a bit too light (I might have to test these again though). Having said that, I'm also considering the Leopold which also has been mentioned to feel heavier than RF 45g, but layout-wise, I'd still prefer TKL. Decisions, decisions...

I think you'll like the hhkb feels. I have a RF numpad with 45g's next to my hhkb 45's and it does feel a little "airy" in comparison.
More