Author Topic: RF87 low noise backspace rattle  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Chetop

RF87 low noise backspace rattle
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 16:22:06 »
Hi all, first post from a somewhat puzzled new RF87s user.

Having received my first low noise RF87 from local vendor, I plugged it in and tested the keys. While very happy with the damped sound of most keys (including other modifier keys and space bar), I have been irked by the rattling sound from the upstroke of the backspace key. I then went on the web to see if the rattling sound is normal with this board, and I was able to find other cases with the noisier backspace key as well:

(0:08, 0:18, 0:30 etc.)
(around 1:18)

However, I can also see numerous examples where the backspace key of low noise RF87 boards having damped sound like the other modifier keys. Thus, would like to seek valuable feedback from experienced users here, on whether:

If that sound is caused by the stabilizer under the switch needing lube or realignment? If not, what are the other possible causes?

If I leave this issue alone, will it cause damage to the stabilizer/dome of that key in the long run?

If I take apart the keyboard and lube the stabilizer with stuff like Krytox205, will there be marked improvement in dampening of the rattle sound, and will it be a long term (>1 year) solution?

Feedback or thoughts on this highly appreciated.