Author Topic: Ducky Legend casing on a Ducky Shine 5  (Read 1892 times)

Offline codywanks

Ducky Legend casing on a Ducky Shine 5
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:33:29 »
Does anybody know if the Shine 5 can be transplanted into a Ducky Legend casing?

I've just purchased the Shine 5 but am absolutely hating the look & feel of its faux "brushed aluminum" plastic case...

Offline falkentyne

Re: Ducky Legend casing on a Ducky Shine 5
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 20:51:13 »
I don't think anyone would know without trying it and I don't think I've seen a single post on these forums, or any forum, about someone trying to Frankenstein a ducky chassis.

The bezel would have to be the same size to accommodate the keyboard, and it -seems- like the outside cutouts for the keyboard and numpad are the same size and width on both keyboards, so there would be a good chance.
As long as the outside keyboard bezel of a Legend would fit cleanly over the key layer of the Shine 5, then it would work, and all you would have to do is modify the underside.

Looking at the pictures of the Legend on the ducky website, most likely it will fit just fine.  All of the ducky keyboards seem to use the same width dimensions for the distance between keys, mods and number pad.

I think you need to try it yourself and report back.
Most likely the outside MAY fit.  The biggest problem you may have is the USB connector.  However on the Ducky shine 3, it's a daughterboard attachment, not soldered on the main PCB, but rather a connector, so the orientation can be easily changed.  So then you can just remove the connector and modify it to fit in the cutout for the legend.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:12:08 »
Shine 5 is dual PCB, really doubt it would fit

Offline codywanks

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:25:38 »
I think you're right about the bezel, it looks like it would drop cleanly over the Shine 5 key layer, but the undersides seem totally different.

Comparing this picture against this one, it looks like I'm going to have problems with the USB connector and dip switches. The screw positions do not seem aligned on both boards either.

@redbanshee - although the Shine 5 is dual PCB, the Legend looks like it has a thicker chassis for some reason?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 00:04:21 »
The USB connector isn't a problem.
It's NOT hardwired to the PCB *OR* the case.
it's a daughterboard.  It can be moved around.
Dip switches can be solved by ugly Frankenstein cutting.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 11:46:32 »
Does anybody know if the Shine 5 can be transplanted into a Ducky Legend casing?

I've just purchased the Shine 5 but am absolutely hating the look & feel of its faux "brushed aluminum" plastic case...

I gave up trying to find a replacement case for the DS5, so I got it wrapped instead.

It now has some textured 3M Brushed Black Metallic Scotchprint wrap on it.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 19:51:32 »
Looking good.