Author Topic: GeekKey PBT compared to Ducky Dyed PBT Keycaps  (Read 12730 times)

Offline Damerae

GeekKey PBT compared to Ducky Dyed PBT Keycaps
« on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 12:02:00 »
Hi,

I am about to purchase a set of PBT keycaps, but I am curious as to the similarities/differences between GeekKey and Ducky Dyed.

These are the two sets I am mixed between at the moment:
PBT Cherry MX Keycap Set - Dye Sublimated Blue/Gray (Ducky): https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1321
GEEKKEYS GREEN/GREY SIDE-PRINTED THICK PBT FULL KEYSET: http://www.geekkeys.com/geekkeys-green-grey-side-printed-thick-pbt-full-keyset/

I've read great things about the Ducky PBT set, but I am having a harder time finding information about the GeekKey set.

I like the color scheme of the GeekKey set, but am concerned the quality etc. may not be of the same caliber as the Ducky set.

Anyone own or have used a GeekKey set in the past?  How'd they feel compared to other PBT keycap sets?

I know the Ducky keys won't have any problem fitting on my KUL.

Thank you

Offline Corsa1r

Re: GeekKey PBT compared to Ducky Dyed PBT Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 12:35:15 »
I can't speak for the GeekKeys (though, they looks pretty nice), but I recently received that exact set of Dye-Sub Ducky PBT you have there (from mechanicalkeyboards.com), and the quality, feel and consistency of the Ducky are second to none.  I highly recommend them.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline Damerae

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 18:09:02 »
I can't speak for the GeekKeys (though, they looks pretty nice), but I recently received that exact set of Dye-Sub Ducky PBT you have there (from mechanicalkeyboards.com), and the quality, feel and consistency of the Ducky are second to none.  I highly recommend them.

Thank you for the response and input. 

Ya, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the Ducky set, but I figured I'd give the GeekKey set a chance by asking around on the forums to see if others have experience with them. 

I'm glad to read that you enjoy them!  I appreciate the confirmation in my confirmation. 
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2016, 18:10:36 by Damerae »

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:32:45 »
IIRC GeekKeys is run by Feng, who is very highly regarded around here.

They're all great, thick, grainy cherry profile caps, and can easily compete against Ducky's offering, if not surpass it (Due to cherry profile, but thats kind of bias  :p)

If you're actually interested in the Black/Neon Green colorway, the top printed version is on sale for $44.95 atm.

Either way, they're both great sets, just decided to throw in a bit of insight.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2016, 10:23:01 by x9Memoriez »
Matrix 1.2OG | Constellation | Rukia | TMO50 | HHKB

Offline Damerae

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:38:29 »

They're all great, thick, grainy cherry profile caps, and can easily compete against Ducky's offering, if not surpass it (Due to cherry profile, but thats kind of bias  :p)

If you're actually interested in the Black/Neon Green colorway, the top printed version is on sale for $44.95 atm.

Well then.. you make a compelling argument in favor of the GeekKey keycap set.  I now have to re-evaluate my original decision.  I am definitely interested in the Black/Neon Green set. 

Hmm...

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:33:16 »

Well then.. you make a compelling argument in favor of the GeekKey keycap set.  I now have to re-evaluate my original decision.  I am definitely interested in the Black/Neon Green set. 

Hmm...

They're both pretty even, only differences are that Ducky's is Dye subbed, rather than laser engraved (i believe) for GeekKeys, which will have a noticeable texture to the legends, and the fact that one is a Neon rather than green tea, and the profiles.

If you can live with the differences in both, i would jsut get the one that appeals to you the most in terms of appearance and price...

(If i liked top printed keys i would probably get the GeekKeys set, but im highly swayed towards side or blank keys.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2016, 21:38:08 by x9Memoriez »

Offline Connly33

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 22:03:30 »
I dont have experience with ducky keycaps, but the 60% i just put together is using GeekKey's 60% black/orange PBT set. ( it was there last/only set of them)  I'm really liking them, they are a nice thick PBT with a good texture that feels nice, the laser engraving on my particular set is pretty nice, though smaller characters like on the number row are harder to see, but that's an inherent issue with laser engraving and not the set itself.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline x9Memoriez

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 22:59:05 »
I dont have experience with ducky keycaps, but the 60% i just put together is using GeekKey's 60% black/orange PBT set. ( it was there last/only set of them)  I'm really liking them, they are a nice thick PBT with a good texture that feels nice, the laser engraving on my particular set is pretty nice, though smaller characters like on the number row are harder to see, but that's an inherent issue with laser engraving and not the set itself.

I just wish they were dyesubbed as i've had bad experiences with laser engraving, it fades pretty quickly, mainly on the heavily used keys such as wasd.

With that aside, i'd still buy them if only AUD:USD wasnt 1:0.6, and shipping didnt nail us in the arse for about 30 USD.

Offline Connly33

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 04:45:30 »

I just wish they were dyesubbed as i've had bad experiences with laser engraving, it fades pretty quickly, mainly on the heavily used keys such as wasd.

With that aside, i'd still buy them if only AUD:USD wasnt 1:0.6, and shipping didnt nail us in the arse for about 30 USD.

I do like the look of laser engraved, but if they wear down id probably want dyesub as well. But i do really like front print, so on my next board I may go for front print laser engraved.

That shipping is ridiculous.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 12:57:42 »
...That shipping is ridiculous.

shipping to anywhere in the pacific is insane.
-Dana

Offline Damerae

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:04:14 »

The set of GeekKeys I posted a link to are the side printed ones.  I feel as though they will be the best of both worlds.  I get the look of the laser engraved while not having to worry about them fading since they are side printed.

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:49:37 »
Your linking of geekkeys (which I never knew about before) has spurred me into possibly wanting to buy a set of side-printed (or blank) keycaps from them.  Thanks for introducing to me another way in which I can spend my money foolishly!  ;)
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline svetlio_vd

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 04:20:33 »
Can I, please, take advantage of your topic and ask - how do you compare Vortex Thick PBT caps to GeekKeys Thick PBT set ? I am currently scouting on Ebay offers and I've come to this two options :

GeekKeys Green/Grey Printed Thick PBT 108-Keyset for $55
or
Vortex Orange Double-Shot Thick PBT 104-Keyset

I am planning to use them  on a CM Quickfire XT keyboard, I am not sure, but I think it has OEM profile keycaps ?
The main question is - which keycap manufacturer would offer better quality of these two options ?

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 22:52:11 »
I recently bought the Gateron blank PBTs, I can let you know how they are. I hear the Vortex ones are also good. The reason I dint get the Backlit ones is because I dint like the legends. Especially the number row, only the symbols light up, because the numbers are printed on the bottom of the cap. I think the gateron,vortex,ducky are all good PBTs for their price.
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline svetlio_vd

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 03:04:17 »
I am happy to say I am writing from a CM Quickfire XT, equipped with a Vortex Thick PBT 104 keyset (Orange on White Doubleshot).  :D It arrived yesterday and I was eager to install them. Finally I have this sweet, sweet PBT feel  ^-^
Here is my story :
The board with original keycaps removed :

Surprisingly, I managed to remove all the caps with my bear fingers and without the help of a keycap remover - my other CM Quickfire XT is a Cherry MX Blue one, and its caps can not be removed with bear fingers!

The board was a bit dirty :

I cleared it a bit :

New caps :

Job done :

I had O-rings ready for install, but when I tried both with and without them, I chose not to install them. The sound is way better without O-rings!

So my verdict is Vortex caps are good (at least this model).

Offline The Hobbiest

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 04:24:33 »
I have that exact set of Ducky Pbt that you linked on my Kul es87.  The dye sub and legends are really nice on these and I enjoy the deeper sound of the caps when they hit the board.  Feel wise I would say they are on the less grainy/slicker side of the PBT scale but very solid with very little flex. To me they feel bit more textured than the fresh abs that came with the keyboard.  The color of the blue also seems lighter in real life.  The lightest google images of this set represent the true color imo.  Can't speak on the Geekkey's set but if somebody could compare the texture of the two that would be great.  Either way good luck on your purchase.