Author Topic: The keyboard money thread - because it's keyboard money, not beer money  (Read 1344 times)

Offline Niomosy

Given the nature of this hobby for many and how I'm often reading of either real or joking concerns for wallet, I thought I'd chime in on a few things I do to keep my wallet safe and my hobby purchasing needs satiated.  Perhaps other can chime as well.

First off, is SwagBucks -
What's the credit?  10% of your earnings so it's good to get referrals.  You can start a referral chain where each person uses the referral link of the last person.  That way everyone can jump in on some referral action.
What is SwagBucks?  It's a Pay-to-click site.  You're basically getting paid to have advertising thrown at you.  SwagBucks gets paid and gives you a bit of it.  In turn, you can cash out their points for various gift cards, pre-paid credit cards, or PayPal which is the method I always chose.

What do you do?  You watch videos / ads, perform a few basic tasks (fill out junk forms for samples you'll never get but will receive 13 cents for it).  You can also do surveys and receive a form of cash back from buying things.  I tend to use their links whenever getting a hotel on Expedia.  8% cash back isn't too bad.

Payout?  I've racked up a pretty large chunk in the 15 or so months I've been doing this.  It's paid for my Troubled Minds set, among other things, and have money set aside for the Dasher/Dancer sets when they eventually launch.  It's highly seasonal though based on advertising budgets so right now is pretty dry but it picks up.

For more into, check out Reddit's sub dedicated to it.  http://www.reddit.com/r/swagbucks.  It has info on some basics and what kind of daily routine you should be looking for.  In general, I run 5 video streams on it on one computer and work on interactive stuff on another computer.  You can also install the apps for Android/iPhone.  Only one device can be used at a time, though.

My big 2nd big hitter is Perk.  http://perk.com/home/#

This one is pretty much mobile devices for video / advertising streams.  You can run up to 5 devices per app and they have several apps to run.  Some people are known to pick up dirt cheap Android phones in the $10-20 range and use them to run multiple of each Perk app.  Look into each app.  PerkTV is the main app and is somewhat non-interactive for a few hours at a time.  Perk Live TV pays out better but is a bit more interactive.

The payout is only to gift cards and not even any prepaid credit cards.  They technically do payout to PayPall but at a high fee.  It costs $15 worth of points to get $10 back when you can simply pay $24.50 to get $25 in Amazon or Best Buy credit instead.  I use this to cover OTHER hobbies whenever possible so I can leave the SwagBucks money to other things.  Still, with a bunch of cheap devices, you can really rack up here.

InstaGC: It's very similar to SwagBucks.  Watch videos, do surveys, do partner stuff.  Payout to PalPal as well, which is nice.  I don't quite hit this one up as much as SwagBucks but when things are slow on SwagBucks and one or more revenue streams has nothing, it's a good option to fire up.

Referral link: http://www.instagc.com/447854 

Non referral: http://www.instagc.com/

Offline jaffers

Re: The keyboard money thread - because it's keyboard money, not beer money
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 01:15:11 »
This is pretty cool and I will try it out being a broke ass uni student and all. Currently sitting on a pile of cash waiting for my invoices for group buys to come in cause I have forgotten what I have joined :P

EDIT: Used your referral link
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2016, 01:17:45 by jaffers »

Offline Niomosy

Re: The keyboard money thread - because it's keyboard money, not beer money
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 01:22:06 »
This is pretty cool and I will try it out being a broke ass uni student and all. Currently sitting on a pile of cash waiting for my invoices for group buys to come in cause I have forgotten what I have joined :P

EDIT: Used your referral link

Throw your referral link up if you do start using it so others can jump in on your link instead of mine.  I'm not here to take all the glory; in general, on the beer money type forums, we try to spread it around.

The good news is that if more people earn some side money, it means various group buys hit higher numbers.  That's good for many of us for things like hitting MoQ and bringing down prices.  Win-win hopefully.