Author Topic: How different does a beamspring feel compared to a Model F?  (Read 5857 times)

Offline snarfarlarkus

How different does a beamspring feel compared to a Model F?
« on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:42:07 »
I'm considering looking for a beamspring just to test how they feel but I read that some people prefer the F over it? Obviously a big factor is their peculiar, vintage layouts. Anyone able to shed some light if they've tried both? Cheers!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: How different does a beamspring feel compared to a Model F?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:56:41 »
I prefer a beamspring key feel over an F by a long shot.

It feels the most like the old selectrics. 
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:51:15 »
Is a beamspring to an F what an F is to an M?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 10:45:26 »

Greater.  It's a different feel.  Different mechanism.

Selectric keys had a way of dropping out from under your finger when you reached certain point, "collapsed" really nicely.  And beams come close. Combine that with those keycaps and it just feels so much better.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline snuci

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:08:04 »

A model M to Model F is like comparing a spartan apple to a mcintosh apple.  Similar but they have their own attributes that make them different from each other. 

A Model F  compared to a Beam spring is like comparing a mcintosh apple to an orange.  Other than the brand name, they are completely different.

Most people know what a Model M or perhaps F feels like.  It has some resistance when you press the key until the spring buckles, somewhere near the mid point of the key travel path.  As you continue to press, there is a loss of built up resistance and then a small build up of resistance on the way down until you bottom out because the buckled internal spring is there to provide it.  The internal spring then forces the key cap up.  The Model M and Model F have varying resistance at the top and bottom end and this is what's compared, for the most part.

The beam spring is almost no resistance on the top and bottom ends but the "buckle" is akin to cracking a very very fine eggshell as you press down.  This is very high up on the key travel path.  When the egg shell "shatters", there is the slightest hint of resistance on the way down as the metal mechanism bulges within the key switch but it is almost unnoticed.  The external spring then guides the key cap back into place with more force than the Model M/F.  Every time you press a key, you are cracking a new ultra thin eggshell.

How does that sound to those who have tried buckling springs?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:13:54 »

A model M to Model F is like comparing a spartan apple to a mcintosh apple.  Similar but they have their own attributes that make them different from each other. 

A Model F  compared to a Beam spring is like comparing a mcintosh apple to an orange.  Other than the brand name, they are completely different.

Most people know what a Model M or perhaps F feels like.  It has some resistance when you press the key until the spring buckles, somewhere near the mid point of the key travel path.  As you continue to press, there is a loss of built up resistance and then a small build up of resistance on the way down until you bottom out because the buckled internal spring is there to provide it.  The internal spring then forces the key cap up.  The Model M and Model F have varying resistance at the top and bottom end and this is what's compared, for the most part.

The beam spring is almost no resistance on the top and bottom ends but the "buckle" is akin to cracking a very very fine eggshell as you press down.  This is very high up on the key travel path.  When the egg shell "shatters", there is the slightest hint of resistance on the way down as the metal mechanism bulges within the key switch but it is almost unnoticed.  The external spring then guides the key cap back into place with more force than the Model M/F.  Every time you press a key, you are cracking a new ultra thin eggshell.

I would say this is pretty accurate, but I would also note that beamspring has muh less key travel then M or F.  Also, Beamspring from what I have read, is a more difficult and finicky build process to repair and refurbish than F or M.  F and M are just tedious, M being worse on that front than F in my opinion.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline snuci

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:22:29 »
I would say this is pretty accurate, but I would also note that beamspring has muh less key travel then M or F. 

I'll have to check that.  I don't recall noticing this.

Also, Beamspring from what I have read, is a more difficult and finicky build process to repair and refurbish than F or M.  F and M are just tedious, M being worse on that front than F in my opinion.

I lived this.. DT Post here of an IBM 5100 restoration  I had to put a few metal flaps back together and some where quick while others too almost 15 minutes of $^*%ing around.  That part was a nightmare but all other parts of the restoration was fairly easy.   

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 11:33:27 »
I would say this is pretty accurate, but I would also note that beamspring has muh less key travel then M or F. 

It may not be as drastic as I alluded to, but when I tried beam spring at the last KeyCon, to me at least, it did feel noticeably shorter travel.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 12:25:51 »

More than intriguing xD . I'll have to be on the lookout for one then :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 13:54:56 »

It may not be as drastic as I alluded to, but when I tried beam spring at the last KeyCon, to me at least, it did feel noticeably shorter travel.

Nope.  I have a beamspring, AT, and SSK right here, the beamspring has slightly longer travel.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 13:55:52 »

Not certain that's quite the analogy I'll use, but I can see that description fitting.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:00:32 »

Nope.  I have a beamspring, AT, and SSK right here, the beamspring has slightly longer travel.

Interesting, I could have swore the beam spring felt shorter.  I retract my previous statement on key travel.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:03:22 »
I couldn't compare my F107 with my 3278. They just aren't similar at all. I doubt I will ever find a switch that feels better than beamsprings.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:27:12 »
I like the Model F switches better overall, but the beam spring has one really nice aspect, which is that you get a bit of snap/boost on the upstroke. If you’ve tried a Topre switch, those also have a similar effect from their dome un-buckling.

Personally, among beam/plate spring switches, I find Alps plate spring switches really nice to type on (I’m not a huge fan of the sound they make, but the feel is lovely). If Marquardt’s plate spring (“butterfly”) switches were slightly less stiff, they would also be amazing to type on. I prefer both of those to IBM beam spring switches.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:00:30 »
someone sell me a displaywriter so that i can compare pls
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:53:12 »
There was a displaywriter brought to a little geekhack meet up we had in Montreal not too long ago. I have an SSK and I find it just okay in terms of feel but I never use it because I find it too heavy during prolonged use but I loved the displaywriter. I did some typing tests using it while there and I also got my highest ever speed. Ended up having to buy it from the person who brought it.

One comment I have about it is that the keys are very wobbly. The old layout can be a bit bothersome at times too, depending how much you need it for things other than just typing alphanumerical characters.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 11:55:08 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 20:18:10 »
I did some typing tests using it while there and I also got my highest ever speed [using a Displaywriter].
What other keyboards have you tried to speed type with? A model M is quite a stiff switch, and doesn’t give you that upstroke bounce, I’m not surprised it’s a bit slower.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 20:44:54 »
Variable weight topre, MX blues, browns, reds, blacks, buckling spring, beam spring and scissor switches. Haven't tried any alps or MX clears notably.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2016, 21:20:29 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 22:05:26 »
Recommended other things to try, if you can find them at a meetup or something: Alps plate spring, black Hi-Tek “space invaders”, “monterey” blue SMK, blue Alps, 45g Topre. I don’t think any MX switches are ideal for fast typing: not clear enough feedback, and too draggy on the upstroke.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 14:46:34 »
I thought the M was the fastest I'd be typing, but after finding out my speed on an M2 and Cherry ML is about the same, I wonder now.  There is a case for a shorter stroke to allow more speed simply due to less movement of the fingers, but I haven't had a chance to explore that fully.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 17:28:09 »
I'd tell you if they weren't so damn difficult to find
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 12:46:13 »
The ramp-up until activation is weak compared to Model F, even though initiation force is high.  The tactile event is also quite different; the response is what I would describe as less direct but geographically purer; this is probably because the beam spring does not buckle to one side but on both sides.  On Model F, you can sense the natural twang of springs buckling, and you can tell that there's a spring underneath instinctively, but on beamspring the sensation is more balanced and intricate.  It's almost introverted in a sense.  The complexity of the mechanism (which has both a beam and coil spring) probably accounts for this refined feel.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401