Author Topic: What Should My Next Keyboard Switch Be?  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Corsa1r

What Should My Next Keyboard Switch Be?
« on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:10:04 »
So, I'm still very new to the mech scene, I first got my first taste with a Ducky Shine 4 in April of last year with Cherry Blues on it.  I absolutely loved it, and while I have it sent in for a repair (my fault), I picked up a Ganss G.S-87 with Cherry browns.  It's also pretty stellar, after installing some nice dye-sub Ducky PBTs instead of the paper-thin ABS it came with.

I don't NEED anything else keyboard-wise, but I want to try all the things now....  I love the sound and tactility of blues, but a higher actuation force sounds nice, too. So I was looking at Cherry Green as well as Cherry Clear in parallel to the browns.  I'm not sure I want to venture into territory 'similar' to Cherry (Kailh, Gateron, Alps, etc.) at all right now, though.

Also, I have yet to ever try a Topre, and I know I don't deserve it (probably) out of the gate, but I was considering going for an HHKB, I'm very drawn to the sound and (perceived) feel of the Topres, it seems to be one of the furthest things from what I am using now.  I may get hate for it, but I really enjoy the sound of the Type-S HHKB.  I also like the look of the Realforce line.

I've used a Model M when I was younger, and did remember liking it alot, but I think I'm shelving the idea of a Unicomp or something for the time being. (Anything with Buckling Springs)

But, with all this information (and maybe you want to convince me of a switch I dismissed!), what should I opt into next?  I'm heavily leaning towards a  Topre board, ( and potentially topre clones?  Like the Royal kludge RC-930, but I am told it's nothing like the real thing).  Anyway, please give me some suggestions.  Thanks.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline pr0ximity

Re: What Should My Next Keyboard Switch Be?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:21:26 »
Get a G80 with vintage MX Blacks and lube them (should be PCB mount, so super easy to open and mod), they'll blow your mind. Every other Cherry switch is garbage, IMO.

If you want more tactility -> Topre

If you want more clicky -> Blue Alps or Model F (don't be scare of the layouts, they're not bad at all)
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:26:04 »
Wow, thanks for the enthusiast suggestions.  Your Model F is beautiful.  You've got me thinking now..
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:38:03 »
Welcome.

But you might want to try some linear switches, although it seems you are enjoying the tactility. If this is the case, then maybe go for MX clears or go for broke and get topre.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:42:42 »
HHKB

keyboard game complete.

Wallet rest.

:D

Offline Connly33

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:44:35 »
I'm kind in the same boat,  I started out on blues last year, i knew i liked tactility before even trying any of the MX switches, and i do love blues, but i prefer a heavier switch, even after a year blues are to light for me. Luckily ive had a chance to feel most MX switches, though not all on full keyboards, after feeling a cherry MX clear on a switch tester and listening to a lot of others opinions i went with them, I like the tactility, as i dont like the browns for its lack of tactility, as well as the weight. MX Greens feel great to me, i couldn't do this board with them for the sake of noise with the keyboard i intend to take to class with me. I try not to form an opinion on how i'm going to like a switch before i acctually get to feel a full keyboard with them though.

As of now what i intend to do is do another custom board with green's. I love the layout of the HHKB's and especially the HHKB JP Pro version. But i really need to get my hands on a topre board before i make any decisions.

I deffinitly need to get a buckling spring board though too, I've heard there a little heavier than MX clear or green's/

Edit:

Im also really interested in Alps's , but i dont have a clue where to start with that :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 17:47:42 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline moonk5

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 19:49:02 »
Why don't you try Torpre?

I also really liked the sound of HHKB Pro 2 Type-S. I can literally listen to it all day!
Funny thing is that I've never try Topre switch  :p

I ordered two Topre keyboards (HHKB Type-S and RealForce 87U 55g).
Soon, I will put my hands on them and find out whether I like.

BTW, I own three Cherry MX keyboards (red, blue, and clear)
Better try all kind of switches imo!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 19:55:34 »
pr0ximity knows what's up. vintage mx blacks. lubed, preferably, but they are pretty darn good stock as well.

Topre? Meh. It's a great switch but it requires a whole board. MX can be modded/customized to existing boards.

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:00:58 »
What do you guys think of Chicony boards (Alps)?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:04:03 »
hhkb
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 03:26:53 »
Chicony is a bit of a roulette, but Alps boards are really nice, I'd recommend them way before Cherry, personally.

If you're interested, I have 32 video reviews on keyboards including a considerable amount of Alps boards :) . Check it out if you want:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL285ATFsHGY9JnaQemdjRLEMmLRKpmbfB
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Connly33

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 11:39:05 »
Chicony is a bit of a roulette, but Alps boards are really nice, I'd recommend them way before Cherry, personally.

If you're interested, I have 32 video reviews on keyboards including a considerable amount of Alps boards :) . Check it out if you want:

I could probably find out doing a little more digging, but what is the custom support for alps like ? . pcb or plate/ housing wise ,  i've seen a few users salvage alps switches from old boards and use them in a new board, usually modifying an old board and doing things like cutting the original plate down.

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 02:18:13 »

Wow, I think I've watched most of your videos now! :)   You present each very well.  Thanks for showing me.

So, if I were to go into vintage mx black territory, what should I look to?  Buying a full board?  Putting something together myself?  I've never done any work on keyboards, and I'm not sure I really have the time to do so right now, either.