Author Topic: hiya!  (Read 1347 times)

Offline eibbun

hiya!
« on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 20:39:08 »
hi there!

bit of a newbie here!  i been a really on and off lurker ever since i purchased multiple ducky shine 3 keyboards (because i didn't know there was such a thing as a mx key switch tester.. and cuz i couldn't decide on a LED color.. whoops) which was like around 2 years ago.  i'm just mainly here to buy more stuff (obviously) and look at all the pretty stuff everyone else has :thumb:
my first mission.. to buy that flatline keyset and the matching reaper... weeeee!

PS. if there's an FAQ on how/where to buy brocaps or something, a link to that would be helpful :-[

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: hiya!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 21:24:33 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

First post just over a year ago, second post now.  I hope you're not going to wait another year to make your third post :p

You can't really get the feel of a switch by pressing a single switch on a switch tester.  You do really need to type on a full keyboard.

I have three Ducky Shines, two MX blue one MX black, and with red, green and yellow backlighting (although the yellow looks orange to me).

Which ones did you get?

There is not really a FAQ on buying Bro Caps, you just need to lurk around in his sub-forum, and even enable notifications for new posts.  He has an official sale thread - subscribing to that would definitely be a good idea.

Be prepared to miss out on your first few sales.  You might get lucky first time (many do), but there again you might not.  Often there is a followup sale for those who miss out on the first sale.  And there will always be another sale in a few weeks or a few months, so if you do not win this time it is money saved towards a later sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eibbun

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 10:17:35 »
oh i started on a mx brown with orange backlighting (or is it yellow? i dont know anymore)
then mx red with white led (too many mistypes while gaming with that one, sigh)
finally went back to mx brown but with pink led
i had tried a mx blue previously (at a store or something, i dont remember) and was like nope.  i haven't tried all the other ones yet but i'm pretty happy with mx browns.

my keyboard started going bad just recently (like half the leds are busted) so i'm just gonna turn off the leds and put a keycap set over it for now ;D

thanks for the info/advice .... but miss out on the first few sales? wat? NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:34:54 »
oh i started on a mx brown with orange backlighting (or is it yellow? i dont know anymore)
then mx red with white led (too many mistypes while gaming with that one, sigh)
finally went back to mx brown but with pink led
i had tried a mx blue previously (at a store or something, i dont remember) and was like nope.  i haven't tried all the other ones yet but i'm pretty happy with mx browns.

my keyboard started going bad just recently (like half the leds are busted) so i'm just gonna turn off the leds and put a keycap set over it for now ;D

thanks for the info/advice .... but miss out on the first few sales? wat? NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You might not miss out!

OTOH with thousands of people entering each sale, and perhaps dozens (actual numbers are never released) of keycaps available, more people miss out than succeed.  Unfortunately.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ