Author Topic: 60% Keyboard + Number Pad  (Read 4577 times)

Offline 1f525

60% Keyboard + Number Pad
« on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 07:57:01 »
Noob here so if it has been asked before please point me in the right direction. Search was not my friend on this one.

So I use my computer for a lot of different things. Most of the time I do not use the number pad so it is kind of in the way and would love to have the mouse close by.

But every once in a while I do use it and would like to have it (data entry). Being left handed, I also love the idea of having it on the correct side.  ;D

Here is the analogy I have in mind:
I have a vision of the number pad being a trailer to a car. I am not hauling gravel daily so I really do not need a pickup truck, don't want to park a second vehicle and drive the extra weight. A trailer allows me to be flexible when I do need to haul gravel.

Question: Is it possible to have a 60% keyboard for 95% of the time and then use a separate number pad just when needed (5% of the time)? How does it work in terms of USB ports.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons?
Any of you have this setup?
Pictures?

Thanks!

Offline Bucake

Re: 60% Keyboard + Number Pad
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 08:09:28 »
is this a joke?
of course this is possible!

i immediately thought of the HHKB because it's a 60% keyboard with a USB hub.
if the hub can provide enough power, you could just plug it into the keyboard whenever you want to use your pad.

i've thought of it myself, but i realized that i don't use the numpad enough to justify buying one.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline 1f525

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 08:21:26 »
Not a joke, just a noob question. Sorry if this was a stupid question.

I was just not sure if most OS recognize 2 "keyboards" at the same time and how it is handled. I use both Windows and Linux (several distros).

So would you plug the keypad in the computer itself (assuming there are enough USB ports) or in the keyboard USB port (if there is one)?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 08:49:01 »
Not a joke, just a noob question. Sorry if this was a stupid question.

I was just not sure if most OS recognize 2 "keyboards" at the same time and how it is handled. I use both Windows and Linux (several distros).

So would you plug the keypad in the computer itself (assuming there are enough USB ports) or in the keyboard USB port (if there is one)?

I have two boards plugged in at once and it's fine. Pressing caps lock on one makes the other turn on as well and it's funny to me, I'm easily entertained.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 08:56:21 »

i don't know about Linux, but in windows i've never had issues with multiple USB keyboards being connected to the same PC. even stuff like num lock and caps lock work fine (including LEDs), like xondat mentioned.
though, i suppose that if you install software for your keyboard, like logitech / razer / steelseries etc, then i can imagine that problems could arise.

in the case of a USB hub on the keyboard, i would just find out if the hub provides enough power to support whatever you want to stick in there. if it provides enough power, then i would just use the hub on the keyboard :)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline 1f525

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 10:03:29 »
Thank you all for the great answers! Really helpful!  :)

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 10:07:40 »
I'm using a 60% Pok3r and a Topre numberpad on the left side!

Your dream, it is real!
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline PieterGen

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 10:58:35 »
In Linux you can also use multiple keyboards, as far as I kow you can even write sophisticated rules so that each keyboard does different things.

The idea of a small KB plus seperate numpad is a sound one. I'vee seen pictures of it. Plus, they sell those seperate numpads for a reason..... :-)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 11:11:58 »
I don't know what particular distros you're talking about, but I've never had any trouble with multiple boards on Debian-based distros. I've had 5 different boards plugged into my main rig using a combination of PS/2, USB, and USB-PS/2 adaptors, and everything seemed to work as intended.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 11:12:59 »

Offline 1f525

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 11:46:13 »
Show Image

I like it!

Thank you all for the confirmation regarding Windows and Linux!

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 18:10:08 »

I've used a separate numpad for years. My accountant loved my setup so much he bought a TKL Filco and numpad, and he's a guy who lives on his numpad. I'll never go back to a full sized keyboard.