Author Topic: Ergodox key sticking  (Read 1226 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Ergodox key sticking
« on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 15:25:18 »
It's the 'R' key when using a QWERTY layout (SW4:4, I think). I'll be typing along and get a double/triple r out of a single keypress [IE: geekhack.orrg], or, if I'm typing fast, the extra r will show up after the next character [IE: geekhack.orgr]. The problem does not seem tied to the drivers/OS, as I've connected the unit to both my Fedora and Win7 workstations with the same result. I've tried reflashing the Massdrop-generated .hex file onto the Teensy, but that's as far as I've gone down that path.

This also has me wondering what the latest and/or greatest firmware is for an ErgoDox, and whether part of my paying attention to this again should include changing the firmware. Functional media keys would be really nice. :)

History: the device has been working properly for over a year now. Kit version, soldered by myself, so if the likely solution is just reflowing, I'll suck it up and open the case.

All help and suggestions welcome. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2016, 17:46:27 by xmagusx »

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
Re: Ergodox key sticking
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 January 2016, 20:37:02 »
Thanks /u/mcansky and /u/talso_wrk from the /r/ergodox subreddit.

For anyone who stumbles across this threat and has a similar issue, by switching to the Cub branch of TMK, I think I'm squared away. I suspect that it was a debounce issue. The firmware may now be compensating for a switch or solder joint issue, but I'm okay with that, since I can always reflow and/or replace the switch if further deterioration occurs.