Author Topic: Tell me more about Goldtouch's...  (Read 3671 times)

Offline InSanCen

Tell me more about Goldtouch's...
« on: Thu, 26 November 2009, 17:15:01 »
Seeing as I have just agreed to buy one (NIB).

I have a regular customer, and somehow he the idea that I was a bit OCD about what keyboards I use (Picking up the Genius rubber dome, throwing it, then dragging the M out from under the counter... PS/2 hot swap be damned, Manager not liking be damned).

So, a conversation ensues about keyboard quality. He starts out "We have this keyboard in India..." so I interject "Goldtouch?" and he nearly falls over in shock.

Long story short, when he comes back over, he's bringing me one back (If he gets a good price, 2)

He has assured me it will be the "top" model, which is mechanical. The cost? about 15 Pounds (UK) maximum.

So, what am I in for. has anyone got personal experiences with them? How is a Buckling Spring and Cherry Black fan going to find them?
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 15:48:18 »
I bought a Goldtouch Ergonomic for $5 at a garage sale. Turned out to be a rubber dome, so I'm installing some mechanical switches in the hinged and swiveling case.

You sure the Goldtouch from India is mechanical?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 16:00:38 »
I have heard of those Goldtough Indian keyboards before. Some of them are mechanical, but are at the lower end of the quality spectrum, explaining their low price.h
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 16:35:58 »
TVS Gold?
There seem to be quite a number of multilingual ones (lots of dialects). At those prices you could probably collect the whole set! :rofl:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 16:37:42 »
I've heard all about problems with the TVS Gold too.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 16:47:25 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;136757
I've heard all about problems with the TVS Gold too.

Probably fewer problems than a DAS that costs six times as much.
C'mon. Fifteen quid for a keyboard with Cherry switches. You can accept it having a bit of character.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 16:59:00 »
Is there anyone here who uses a Das?

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 16:59:28 »
@Rajagra - Exactly. At that price, you just can't go wrong. Even if I just harvest switches in the event of hating it.

@ricercar - Yup, it is the mechanical one. Apparently, there are 3 common ones on sale, and the mechanical is the most expensive. I made very sure to emphasise that I am NOT interested in ANY type of domes (Topre fans hate me now!)
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 17:00:17 »
There are some good-feeling rubber domes out there. But they're far outnumbered.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 17:58:12 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;136767
There are some good-feeling rubber domes out there. But they're far outnumbered.

Yeah, there are. The IBM KB-9930 I had wasn't bad, but having mechanical boards is far better. So I gave it away. I just plain refuse to pay Topre prices, irrespective of what technology it uses to get a letter on your screen. Even my much lusted after M13 cost me less than a third of what a Topre would set me back.

It's personal preference, and the reason I am on this forum. I am interested in mechanical boards, not rubber domes. The customer is well aware that if the board is a rubber dome, then he has bought himself a new board, as I will not be buying it.

On the other hand, a lot of his friends buy off me as well, and between them, make 30 or so trips from India to the UK a year. Potential supply of boards to sell onto fellow GH members in the UK (At cost price I might add). Good introduction to (blue?) cherries if nothing else.
:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 18:05:14 »
You should try one of the first Dell Quietkeys. They are some of the highest quality rubber domes out there.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 18:08:19 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;136788
You should try one of the first Dell Quietkeys. They are some of the highest quality rubber domes out there.

I have one of the early Dell Quietkeys, and they are pretty good, no comparison to the buckling springs though...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 18:18:58 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;136788

Comparing the relative quality of rubber dome boards is like comparing the smell of **** from different types of animals. At the end of the day, it's still ****.

I've used a Quietkey, it's fine but just about any mechanical board I have used would beat it.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 18:30:48 »
The original ones hace sliders, greatly enhancing the feel. They actually aren't crap.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 18:54:03 »
They were the ones I was talking about. Again, alright, but I'd rather pay for a mechanical board, even if I could get a Quietkey for free.

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 19:03:34 »
OK time to clear up some confusion...

Goldtouch is a brand of split-ergonomic keyboards with rubber domes.  They bought the design from Lexmark and modified the M15 design with rubber domes.

the TVS Gold is a very low cost Cherry MX Blue keyboard in a standard layout, costing about $20USD in India.

Quite a big difference.  Just posting to clear up some confusion that seems to have arisen about the two 'boards.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 November 2009, 23:23:31 »
Thanks zwmalone. That is a valuable post, clearing much confusion.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 07:06:31 »
But aren't Maxiswitch and Goldtouch owned by a common parent company?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 07:48:19 »
Sure enough it is... So are the patents still valid 15 years on?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 07:49:06 »
Don't patents last for 50 years without renewal? Or is that with copyrights?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 07:51:49 »
Depends on how much you pay. And I think it's much less than 50 years.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 13:36:24 »
I wonder when the M15 patent expires?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 15:49:36 »
There's a market for ergonomic keyboards.

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 November 2009, 18:21:27 »
Quote from: zwmalone;136801
OK time to clear up some confusion...

Goldtouch is a brand of split-ergonomic keyboards with rubber domes.  They bought the design from Lexmark and modified the M15 design with rubber domes.

the TVS Gold is a very low cost Cherry MX Blue keyboard in a standard layout, costing about $20USD in India.

Quite a big difference.  Just posting to clear up some confusion that seems to have arisen about the two 'boards.

The chap in question called it a goldtouch too...

I have since verified that it is indeed a TVS gold... apparently Goldtouch is what everyone in India calls it. In the same way that most of the UK call all Vacuum cleaners "Hoovers" it may not be correct, but everyone know what you are talking about.
:

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 00:26:40 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;136905
Don't patents last for 50 years without renewal? Or is that with copyrights?

Currently it is 20 years after date of patent application. If filed before 1995 in the US, it was 20 years from application or 17 years after granting, whichever was longer. Used to have to renew it to get the full term - not sure about now.

You were likely thinking of Copyright, which is a whole different thing. It keeps getting lengthened and broadened in scope (currently life of "creator" + 70 years in most major countries) thanks largely to corporate influence - if they have their way, Public Domain will soon be a thing of the past, and we will all be the poorer for it.
No matter where you go, there you are...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 November 2009, 09:30:50 »
That means the M15 patent should expire around 2015.

Offline JBert

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 14:10:09 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;137102
That means the M15 patent should expire around 2015.
The question is whether in six years someone wants to make a new generation of that keyboard.

It might need some different keyboard technology though, be it magnetic, buckling beam, some other kind of capacitative or even something else. Buckling springs aren't really the most ergonomic to type on due to their weight.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 16:06:46 »
Webwit might be able to confirm this, but I thought that the M15 used a lighter spring than other Ms.  That might just be another internet rumor, though.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 17:13:23 »
Do the keys feel much different than a normal Model M?