Author Topic: hello world  (Read 2125 times)

Offline lmorchard

• {web,mad,computer} scientist
    • lmorchard.com
hello world
« on: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:28:58 »
Hi folks, joined after enough Google searches for keyboard stuff lead me here. Finally delurking here since I'm thinking about building something.

I'm old enough to have used IBM Model M keyboards back in high school & college, though I really grew up on the C64 & Amiga.

When I built my own PCs out of college, I just used literal garbage keyboards until I found the HHKB Lite back around 1999. Four HHKBs of various sorts later, and now I'm addicted to tiny keyboards.

Then, someone bought me an HHKB Pro 2. Wouldn't have bought it for myself, but I totally didn't send it back. Now, I hug it sometimes.

Been getting into microcontrollers over the years, and now I'm really curious about handwiring & programming a keyboard of my own.

Until I manage to do something interesting, here's a picture of my Franken-HHKB-Lite on my couch PC gaming station.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I just joined the Magicforce 68-key buy on Massdrop with Gateron Reds. I have no idea what I'm doing, but hoping to get into the fun keycap game with it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 January 2016, 21:37:46 by lmorchard »

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
Re: hello world
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 January 2016, 23:27:33 »
Welcome lmorchard  ;D

So you have an interest in the embedded microcontrollers as well, neat stuff!

I too joined the magicforce 68 drop, Mainly because I wanted a smaller keyboard and a heavier clicky switch, so why not hit 2 birds with one stone?  ;D

Anyhow enjoy yourself
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:21:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Google searches do seem to lead here a lot :))

Have you considered getting another Model M, or have you been seduced by the feelings of oneness with cup rubber?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 12:31:09 »
you should be using the HHKB Pro 2 in that photo -__-

the magicforce is an interesting board...mostly for the price, it keeps tempting me. I have enough boards as it is though...it wouldn't be used enough and would be sold pretty quickly :(

nice choice on Gateron Reds though.

welcome!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 16:49:09 »
Hi, Another trackball user!  Very much awesome  :) (I have a Logitech Trackman Marble atm)
Chris Schammert

Offline lmorchard

• lmorchard.com
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 13:49:11 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:58:55 »
Chris Schammert

Offline lmorchard

• lmorchard.com
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 18:31:20 »
:eek: that new CST..
Didn't think I'd like it at first, but then I figured out a comfy position for my hand and bought a 2nd one. Now I'm thinking about buying some Lego and keys switches so I can set up the 3rd & 4th buttons :)

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:09:16 »
you should be using the HHKB Pro 2 in that photo -__-

my HHKB Pro 2 is in my office for srs bsnss :)

Oh that is srs.

I like how you use your left hand for the trackball. If I weren't so in love with my MS Explorer I'd have that one for sure :)

Offline lmorchard

• lmorchard.com
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 20:26:26 »
I like how you use your left hand for the trackball. If I weren't so in love with my MS Explorer I'd have that one for sure :)

I had an MS Explorer once upon a time, but work bought it for me so sadly I had to leave it behind / couldn't find a slick way to walk off with it.

And I'm actually a righty, but a ergonomics trainer once told me to switch hands after I had kind of been terrible to my right mouse hand. Seems to have helped!