Author Topic: Razer Deathadder Chroma Scroll Wheel Rattle  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Razer Deathadder Chroma Scroll Wheel Rattle
« on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 11:05:11 »
I have a Razer Deathadder Black Edition purchased several years ago. It is still going strong, but I am looking for a duplicate to replace a mouse on another workstation. It seems that that DA Black Edition is no longer in production.

After trying several other mice and rejecting them for various reasons (these included the Ducky Secret Mouse, Mionix Castor, and Mionix Naos 7000), I decided to try the latest Razer Deathadder, the Chroma. I like the size, shape, weight, surface feel, optical sensor, and switches, but the scroll wheel rattles, especially when rolling the wheel away from me (scrolling up). My original Deathadder Black Edition has a quiet scroll wheel.

Subsequently, I have found several reports online of scroll wheel rattle in the DA Chroma.

Does anyone here have recommendations for mice that are similar to the DA, but with a scroll wheel that does not rattle?

Thanks.

Offline Bucake

Re: Razer Deathadder Chroma Scroll Wheel Rattle
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 13:00:59 »
personally i have never owned one, but have you looked into the zowie/benq EC-1A and EC-2A?
reportedly they have a pretty similar shape to the DA series. there are quite a few comparisons between the DA and the EC series :)

a rattly scroll wheel isn't anything new with deathadders, i'm surprised your BE doesn't suffer from it.
because i've seen plenty of reports of rattly wheels on the 2013 and 3.5G as well. i assumed it was the same for all models.
my 3.5G DA also has a rattly wheel, unfortunately. it's surprising how few mice actually have a good scroll wheel :(
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 13:11:32 »
personally i have never owned one, but have you looked into the zowie/benq EC-1A and EC-2A?
reportedly they have a pretty similar shape to the DA series. there are quite a few comparisons between the DA and the EC series :)

a rattly scroll wheel isn't anything new with deathadders, i'm surprised your BE doesn't suffer from it.
because i've seen plenty of reports of rattly wheels on the 2013 and 3.5G as well. i assumed it was the same for all models.
my 3.5G DA also has a rattly wheel, unfortunately. it's surprising how few mice actually have a good scroll wheel :(
Yes, I have looked into the Zowie. I was recently interested in the 2016 version of the EC-1A because I am looking for a large palm-grip mouse and the 2016 model of the Zowie was going to have Omron switches. Unfortunately, the company just did a recall of the 2016 models because of issues with the Omron switches. Apparently, they are going to revert to Huano switches. These are reported to be heavier than Omrons, and so I think I would not want them.

Yes, it is surprising and disappointing that so few mice have good scroll wheels. Maybe I should start looking at lower-end mice. The reason I say this is that I have an old Kensington "Optical Elite" mouse that has a very nice scroll wheel -- it is rubberized and notched for good control and it does not rattle at all. However, there are other aspects of the Kensington that I do not like.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 13:17:08 »
My original death adder (non-chroma) doesn't have this issue o.o

I don't game often (league of legends mostly)

But I have noticed that sometimes my mouse just loses it **** and goes everywhere.

Really annoying when Mia team fight then all of sudden you are scrolling the map to the edge.

I think it could be a firmware issue though. Need to look into it more.