Author Topic: Nice places to live?  (Read 19012 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: Nice places to live?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 10:55:54 »
The first question is how do you plan on paying for these places that you plan to live.  Some of them are not exactly cheap.

Now if I buy a place in Indianapolis, you can live in my spare room, if you can pay the extremely cheap rent.  Although I no longer consider Indianapolis a nice place to live, after the traveling I've done in the past few years.   Well some neighborhoods are nice, but it all depends on what you consider nice.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:10:32 »
The first question is how do you plan on paying for these places that you plan to live.  Some of them are not exactly cheap.

Now if I buy a place in Indianapolis, you can live in my spare room, if you can pay the extremely cheap rent.  Although I no longer consider Indianapolis a nice place to live, after the traveling I've done in the past few years.   Well some neighborhoods are nice, but it all depends on what you consider nice.

I will agree with this for the most part. I would say don't live downtown or on the east side. I live on the west side (Plainfield/Avon area) and its nice, imo. And there's also the political aspect, with the whole country looking at Pence and his RFRA bill, for example. But again, I'm sure there are plenty of better choices than here.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:29:20 »

I will agree with this for the most part. I would say don't live downtown or on the east side. I live on the west side (Plainfield/Avon area) and its nice, imo. And there's also the political aspect, with the whole country looking at Pence and his RFRA bill, for example. But again, I'm sure there are plenty of better choices than here.

That's exactly what I mean by a person's version of nice.  A lot of people around here consider safer, quieter, whiter suburbs to be nice.  Admittedly, after some of the nonsense I experience in the city, I cannot argue with that.  However, there are many aspects of the suburbs that I can't ever see myself enjoy as a place to live.

My version of "nice" is a compact, mostly safe, urban neighborhood with stores and restaurants in close proximity, because I don't like to travel very far to access these things.  In Indianapolis, that basically limits you to Broad Ripple/Meridian Kessler, and perhaps Irvington.  And compared to similar neighborhoods offered in other urban areas, these neighborhoods are kinda a joke.

However, an obsession over comparison is a recipe for unhappiness, so I don't focus on that much.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:34:37 by vivalarevolución »

Offline iri

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:53:54 »
My version of "nice" is a compact, mostly safe, urban neighborhood with stores and restaurants in close proximity
So, basically any European city?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 13:30:42 »
My version of "nice" is a compact, mostly safe, urban neighborhood with stores and restaurants in close proximity
So, basically any European city?

Yea, that's what I picked up during my holiday visit to France.  Much lower crime rates, with cities that meet my preferences.  Good thing my girlfriend is French...

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 21:25:13 »
Not much at all. I'm pretty much at the beginner phase. And yeah, I mean programming language. Sorry for any confusion.  :))

Try this: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 11:32:43 »
Y'all come down to Texas. There was a lengthy article about how Austin is great here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/austin-and-the-city-of-the-eternal-boom/

Scott Aaronson, an MIT professor, is moving to UT. I really enjoyed reading his blog post on why he is making the move.

http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=2620

If any GH members are looking to move to Austin for work, school, etc. please feel free to shoot me a PM. You may even be able to come visit and buy a Model M or try a Beamspring in person.

Spoilers: the summers are hot as balls and the traffic is awful.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:07:19 »
Y'all come down to Texas. There was a lengthy article about how Austin is great here:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/austin-and-the-city-of-the-eternal-boom/

Scott Aaronson, an MIT professor, is moving to UT. I really enjoyed reading his blog post on why he is making the move.

If any GH members are looking to move to Austin for work, school, etc. please feel free to shoot me a PM. You may even be able to come visit and buy a Model M or try a Beamspring in person.

I'm actually in the process of strongly considering Austin as my next location (among CO and CA).  My sister and her family are also thinking of making the move.

I was about to post in here asking for advice from Austin GHers.  Looks like you beat me to it!  :P

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:02:51 »
Lived in Nashville, TN for nearly 10 years. Loved it. Miss it dearly.

I miss southern Missouri, too, but it's quite rural.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 20:25:39 »

I'm actually in the process of strongly considering Austin as my next location (among CO and CA).  My sister and her family are also thinking of making the move.

I was about to post in here asking for advice from Austin GHers.  Looks like you beat me to it!  :P

Much of Texas is 100 degrees + for 6 months out of the year with nights in the 90's and humidity in the 80's-90's. So, it's basically miserable to go outside for half the year. The Winters are great though. 60's in the day and 50's at night more often than not. If I had my choice, I'd take Austin over any other area of Texas (I'm closer to the coast.) If you have a degree or lots of experience there is plenty of opportunity here.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 21:43:37 »

You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

It may be fine if you're a local and grew up there, but if you aren't from there, my experience has been that you're pretty much unwelcome in the Ozarks region. I've been all over a huge chunk of the U.S. and never have I encountered such hostility to outsiders. I know others who also had bad experiences there.

Much of Texas is 100 degrees + for 6 months out of the year with nights in the 90's and humidity in the 80's-90's. So, it's basically miserable to go outside for half the year. The Winters are great though. 60's in the day and 50's at night more often than not. If I had my choice, I'd take Austin over any other area of Texas (I'm closer to the coast.) If you have a degree or lots of experience there is plenty of opportunity here.
Temp VERY much depends on the section of Texas you are in, it's a big place. San Antonio wasn't bad when I was there (January-Feb), but the panhandle is another story altogether, it got downright cold. With Texas, like California, you really need to research exactly where you want to go, both are very large and diverse.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 01:49:36 »
Half of Texas is miserable swamp, and the other half is miserable desert.

Offline ANightOnCloudNine

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 02:17:20 »
Wat about the middle of each half?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:22:19 »

Yeah the heat would be murder.  But on the plus side, at least it would be really sunny when you're holed up inside (as opposed to up here where it's always dark in the winter).  I'm still really torn because I do like it up here, but the dark is getting to me...  :confused:

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 11:40:29 »

I think Austin sits at the intersection of the two, given the weather patterns, soil and terrain.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:02:15 »
I'd recommend my own home city but that wouldn't exactly be unbiased :p .

Apart from that, and on an uncharacteristically non-US note :P Copenhagen is pretty amazing, as is anywhere in Norway. Depending on how much you like cities another good choice might be LUNDUN M8 YEAH INNIT. If you're not afraid of alien creatures that will kill you in minutes, Australia should be good too (if they let you in).
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:15:20 »

It may be fine if you're a local and grew up there, but if you aren't from there, my experience has been that you're pretty much unwelcome in the Ozarks region. I've been all over a huge chunk of the U.S. and never have I encountered such hostility to outsiders. I know others who also had bad experiences there.

Huh. Care to elaborate?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:30:02 »
Paris is a nice place.
So is Zenica in Bosnia.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline BLaZe

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:40:31 »
Paris is a nice place.
So is Zenica in Bosnia.

Paris is too expensive  :( A nice place to live when you have money, or else you live in the suburbs and it isn't really dreamy there.

Offline iri

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 14:04:05 »
WHERE DAT
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 21:46:26 »

Huh. Care to elaborate?
A customer of mine was down there with her BF's rock band, they walked into a bar and were kindly told to get the f out. When they asked why, the bartender said "look around, you clearly don't belong here and I don't want any trouble". Everyone was in overalls. They eventually managed one beer before they were forced to leave.

I've had a redneck in a Dodge 4x4 try and hold me to 65mph on 44, that resulted in a 5-10 mile run at more than 110mph with him chasing me the whole way bouncing off his fuel cutoff. There was also the guy who looked over at me, smiled, and tried to run me off the road at 80mph in bumper to bumper traffic near Springfield. Another time I stopped for gas in some tiny town off 44 and I swear the entire town stopped to watch my little red car (I was in an old BMW at the time), they didn't really start moving again until I was back on the highway.

A guy I know was just over the border in Arkansas in a BMW having some fun and put it in a ditch. The Sheriff gave him a ride across the border and told him leave the car and don't come back.

Don't get me wrong, I've met some decent people down there, I even have a friend who lives down there, but I've never been to, or heard of a place that was so openly aggressive to outsiders like that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:35:04 »
Wow. That's all quite unfortunate! I've never had any trouble in the area myself, but as you pointed out, I'm a "local."

That said, I get some odd eyes when I go back. I suppose they know I've "been to the city" now.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #122 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 18:38:28 »
WHERE DAT
Utrecht.

Offline iri

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:39:14 »
WHERE DAT
Utrecht.
Didn't know Britain conquered someone again!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 06:27:02 »
WHERE DAT
Utrecht.
Didn't know Britain conquered someone again!
I'm just here for my PhD :p .

Offline MykB77

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 06:43:19 »
If choices are London (assuming London, CA), Toronto, Ottawa, I have worked extensively in all.  Toronto is interesting and fun to visit but wouldn't want to live there.  Too expensive.  Ottawa is a nice place but very boring.  London is smaller and a great place to go to school depending on what you want  to get into; for a place to start out, very liveable and not expensive.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 07:51:58 »
Germany, Finland, Netherlands. They're very different, but all worth consideration IMO.

Consider studying abroad. For example, Germany is quite affordable; there's very little hand-holding compared to the US though.

Offline iri

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 00:26:05 »
The Netherlands is gansta-land. I wouldn't recommend it.
Chris Schammert

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 04:12:31 »
You wanna get shtoned, yesh? You wanna shee shome crazy ****?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 04:17:03 »
You wanna get shtoned, yesh? You wanna shee shome crazy ****?
WARNING! Someone wants to take my pocket change! Danger! Danger! Seriously, that is an authentic southern accent  :)
Chris Schammert

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 07:56:26 »
AMSTERDAM IS A CESSPOOL OF CORRUPTION, CRIME, EVERYTHING IS OUT OF CONTROL, IT'S ANARCHY!!!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 08:03:43 »
WHERE DAT
Utrecht.

Air tree don't listen. i grew up in WA, Utrecht has the same **** weather and no mountains or real nature to make up for it. Plus no mexican food :(
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 08:18:42 »
My room  ;)

Offline merutz

• @merutz
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 08:25:46 »
If you're not set on the US, Wien was voted the most livable city in the world for the seventh time!

https://www.wien.info/en/lifestyle-scene/most-livable-city

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/23/vienna-named-worlds-top-city-for-quality-of-life

There are also websites such as this, that compare the cost of living and all sorts of important aspects for everyday life.

QFR R-i/DSA Dolch   |   MX Master
     + yellow Esc

Offline iri

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 10:43:00 »
But in Vienna, everyone is a rude smoker!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:48:04 »
WHERE DAT
Utrecht.

Air tree don't listen. i grew up in WA, Utrecht has the same **** weather and no mountains or real nature to make up for it. Plus no mexican food :(
Hills and mountains are horrible, they make cycling much worse D: . There's no real nature to speak of in all of the Netherlands, either. It's not that great to visit, but it's very nice to live in.

In fact I've found that most places that are nice to visit aren't that great to live in, and that places that are very nice to live in generally aren't that much fun to visit.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 15:09:30 »
There is the possibility that I'll be going to University in Germany in the next few years, so I might get the chance to visit some of these places, see what I like and all.