Author Topic: Medical software  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Alline Cliff

Medical software
« on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:13:00 »
Hello,guys! My husband is a Pediatrician, We heard about EHR or electronic health records. It says that he can access his patients record instantly. Is it really reliable, safe and effective? I really want to help him to get organized and lessen his work. Any idea about it? Thanks!

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Medical software
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:20:08 »
wat

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:22:26 »
Wrong forum? Might want to try one related to healthcare.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:29:23 »
My wife worked for a country doctor who was halfway through going electronic when she started there....... in 2011.

Surely a doctor could seek this sort of advice from his/her peers who currently use a system like this, medical journals and professional contacts. I would not rely on internet forums for this sort of advice especially for making decisions about something as important as patient records. 

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:31:59 »
Can't tell if spam.  :p I would recommend talking to a doctor who already uses such a system.  :thumb:

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:34:24 »
I personally wouldn't consider using anything electronic safe unless otherwise proven.

and as other's have stated, might want to ask someone in the medical industry about it.
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:37:44 »
Can't tell if spam.  :p I would recommend talking to a doctor who already uses such a system.  :thumb:
You'll know when some other brand new member replies and unexpectedly drops a link to somewhere.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 21:41:15 »
You'll know when some other brand new member replies and unexpectedly drops a link to somewhere.

Hoff and I are confused because OP made some other posts first. Usually the spambots only ever post one link.  :) Thought we would give OP the benefit of the doubt first!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 22:58:32 »
"Electronic health records" sounds very vague, and is probably just a general reference to some database software with medical keywords or something.

To be really secure, you'd need to run it on a dedicated PC not connected to a network, and preferably located in a secure location to prevent unauthorised access to it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline poog

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 23:48:28 »
EHR generally refers to things like epic or cerner which provide ways to log patient stuff and integrate different programs and hospital devices in one system. one benefit to using an ehr used by someone else is that you'll be able to access patient's records from the other person's hospitals etc etc. don't have experience using one for a small private practice though so can't say anything else

Offline julayyy

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 15:12:29 »
I was pretty sure that due to Obama care, every doctor offices  should have switched to EHR by 2014..... But anyway, yes EHR are very helpful and you can access all the patients record instantly instead of going through a huge folder for their medical records. Unless he's not tech savvy then it might be hard but I think it's very useful.
QuickfireTK MX Reds         v60 mini MX Clears

Offline Alline Cliff

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 05:43:10 »
Took my chances to see if anyone here is married to a doc, too and might have an idea about this kind of stuff. Anyway, my husband did ask around and most of his colleagues have already switched to e-health records (the younger ones). He's 46 and not that tech savvy, so he's kind of STILL thinking it through. He's used to keeping records and data the "traditional" way. One of the younger physicians he asked referred him to an IT consultant and the guy endorsed this practice management software to him. We're still not sure if he's going for it and I'm hoping someone might have had come across this tool and could give us their feedback or two. Any idea about this? Please, I really want to help him and would appreciate it if someone out here could help me, too.  :)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 09:21:13 »
Doesn't almost all hospitals have some sort of electronic system where they put information about patients? I know that Heroma is a common software used by hospitals in Sweden, but I have no clue if it's any good. Citrix is also a common interface, that they used before afaik.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline mikew0w

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 12:58:20 »
EHR would be classification of software. It would be like coming on GH and saying "hey guys I need an input device, any ideas?" without even specifying if its a keyboard or mouse you are after. Mental health providers have different need than general practitioners for example.

If you are not spam start here: https://www.healthit.gov/

If you are billing fed or state sources there are 'incentive' programs laid out from the HITECH Act (or other state-specific) that reduce the hair-cut you are taking on those reimbursements. For example, if you are billing medicare, you are already loosing a 2% haircut on reimbursement and that will be going to 3% next FY. 

If you are in the SE of USA I run a small consulting firm. Most of our clients are in the 10K~15K unique clients/year range so you'd need to see if all the work and headaches of standing up an implementation makes sense for you. At that volume 2% loss is inching up over $1M in lost revenue.

We know a lot about the 'SEC' state rules, but literally every state has their own special rules and standards.

Offline Perish

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 10:43:01 »
Hello,guys! My husband is a Pediatrician, We heard about EHR or electronic health records. It says that he can access his patients record instantly. Is it really reliable, safe and effective? I really want to help him to get organized and lessen his work. Any idea about it? Thanks!

Yes, using an EMR/EHR is defacto-standard nowadays and completely normal. If you want the benefits of digital vs analog record keeping (you do) then keep moving forward with the due diligence and select a vendor that can fulfill your requirements. There are even HIPAA compliant cloud solutions. Naturally your first priority should be compliance/security.