Author Topic: Hi GH  (Read 2449 times)

Offline duras

Hi GH
« on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 14:29:02 »
Finally got on the mechanical keyboard bandwagon late last year and joined r/mechanicalkeyboard and r/mechmarket. In that time I now have two TKL (browns and clears) bought 4 different keycap sets (ended up selling 2 of them) and recently joined a few more group buys, not sure how much more my poor wallet can take.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
Re: Hi GH
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 17:11:42 »
Hi!  Thanks in advance for all photos of said keyboards/key-caps   ;)
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 04:10:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Which keyboards did you get?

And which switches do you like?  Browns and clears are both tactile, but the clears are so much more tactile, albeit with much heavier springs.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline duras

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 11:05:17 »
My two current keyboards: http://imgur.com/JEw96nJ

The first is a Filco MJ2 with browns sporting some stock DSA keys from pimpmykeyboard, the other is a Code with clears and the keycaps are some doubleshot PBT vortex caps I got in r/mechmarket. I find that with the heavy actuation force of the clears its nicer to have some thicker/heavier caps. Considering putting the an SA set on it instead.

I used to have the Modern Selectric set but couldn't stand the nubs on the F and J, would much rather have a scoop. I also had The DSA Deep Space set but realized that I really dislike a dark legend on a dark key color so I ended up selling both. Just joined the nantucket GB and have a white fox with blues on the way. Very excited for those.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 13:41:40 »
I flippin' love the orange modifiers on that Filco
Chris Schammert

Offline duras

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 14:40:50 »

Thanks, here are a few more pictures I took http://imgur.com/a/Wthsy

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 15:34:39 »

Thanks, here are a few more pictures I took http://imgur.com/a/Wthsy
Oh man, the BB-8 ties everything together.  Lovely :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 08:04:33 »

The first is a Filco MJ2 with browns sporting some stock DSA keys from pimpmykeyboard, the other is a Code with clears and the keycaps are some doubleshot PBT vortex caps I got in r/mechmarket. I find that with the heavy actuation force of the clears its nicer to have some thicker/heavier caps. Considering putting the an SA set on it instead.

I used to have the Modern Selectric set but couldn't stand the nubs on the F and J, would much rather have a scoop. I also had The DSA Deep Space set but realized that I really dislike a dark legend on a dark key color so I ended up selling both. Just joined the nantucket GB and have a white fox with blues on the way. Very excited for those.

Daayyuumm love the black/orange/white contrast!
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:21:44 »

Very nice couple of boards!

I also have a CODE with clears, using it at work now :)

So you prefer tactile non-clicky switches ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ