Author Topic: HHKB Layout - How hard to get used to?  (Read 9554 times)

Offline ryahirv

HHKB Layout - How hard to get used to?
« on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:03:50 »
Hi all
I'm by NO means a programmer, but I do use the arrow keys a fair bit on my RealForce 87u.

Could anyone comment on how hard the HHKB layout is to get used to?

Anyone try it for a while and ultimately fail?
Or any other comments on it in general?

I don't use the F keys so I'm fine having those buried under the Fn key layer...I'm just curious how hard it is to get used to the arrow keys in that setup.

Thanks in advance!

Offline starscream

• I have nothing to say
Re: HHKB Layout - How hard to get used to?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:12:18 »
Doesn't take long to get used to. Couple days at most.
Now it feels strange typing on a keyboard that doesn't have its backspace directly above the enter key

Only thing that still occasionally throws me off is forgetting that my Ctrl key  is now above shift when I'm really focusing on a game

Poker                                 HHKB Pro 2

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:23:20 »
it took me a few days to learn the shortcuts with its layout. Make the effort and thou shalt be rewarded.

For backspace, try not to lift your pinky too much if you have to press it repeatedly. The dome will easily push it up. It's all technique.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:25:32 »
nah
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:28:30 »
Took me a week to get it into my muscle memory. But I must ask: do you use a Mac? OS X has these emacs-like word / sentence / line navigation shortcuts throughout the os. For instance, cmd + right is go to end of line (end key on 104), fn + right is go to next word etc. It took me longer to get used to that, because you also need to use the diamond arrow keys alongside the OS X mappings. But now I'm used to it, I think that the HHKB is the best layout out there. Especially because you still have a dedicated tilde and back tick.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:32:36 »
Will the Backspace placement make much difference if I already use my ring finger?

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:34:52 »
it's not bad as long as you don't do a lot of ctrl/shift + F/Home/End/PgX combos.

my problem is when i switch between the hhkb and other boards with non-hhkb layout, since i get used to one layout and then mess up when switching to the other.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline robbles

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:34:59 »
I was really nervous about the layout too but I got used to it mostly after a week, and fully after a month. I'm on Mac so the different control placement doesn't affect me as much, since the command key is in the same place. Backspace placement was strange and still gets me when I switch to other boards. You could always get white with printed caps for your first one and get blank caps when you buy a second. And you will buy a second. Trust me  :p
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:38:52 »
Thank you all for the great replies..

I am on Mac - But don't find myself doing too many crazy combos usually.  It's just those arrow keys I'm worried about, but the responses are putting my mind at ease a bit here.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:41:12 »

I am on Mac - But don't find myself doing too many crazy combos usually.  It's just those arrow keys I'm worried about, but the responses are putting my mind at ease a bit here.

Buy it, you won't regret it. Yes, it is a lot of money, but it truly is a miracle of a kb, both the feel and the layout. Adjustment period should be relatively short.

My GF even has a HHKB black and she can't even touch type perfectly but even she swears buy it. My mom even has one!

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:43:00 »

Buy it, you won't regret it.

My apologies - I should have been more clear.

I'm actually asking in regard to doing the HHKB layout on the new Model F keyboards on the forum right now (not on an actual HHKB)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:50:33 »
as replies already show, it's not too bad to get used to it.
i however went for hasu's controller so that i could decide for myself how i wanted the layout to be. hands-down my best keyboard-related decision :cool:

but if the arrow keys are your main concern, you really shouldn't worry. i used my index finger for left and down, middle-finger for up and right - and it worked great!

edit: wait, what? you're considering the HHKB Fn layout for.. another keyboard? firstly, i would start by changing the position of the Fn key. that way you won't be so limited in what keys would work well as arrow keys.

Will the Backspace placement make much difference if I already use my ring finger?

nope.
you might need a day to get used to it not being located top-right, but your brain will love it once your muscle memory is used to it. the position makes perfect sense : )
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:00:25 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 19:00:47 »
I think it took me a little under a week to get used to the new CTRL and Backspace location.
But once you get used to it, I think you start to realize how good it is :D

Sometimes I occasionally press capslock by accident on other boards, but not really:-[

Over a couple weeks of swapping between boards you evolve into your godstage and you can automagically switch and adjust between keyboard layouts with ease.

TRUST ME IT HAPPENS :D

The backspace was honestly the most difficult part, but I promise you'll get used to it :3

EDIT: woops. The arrow keys are really intuitive when you get used to it as well - starts to feel natural after a while. I haven't looked into it much, but the Japanese version of the HHKB has arrow keys on the board :3
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 02:09:35 by KingRama »
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • * Vendor
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 00:54:43 »
It's interesting seeing these different setups, but I dare ask.... why? :P aha.

I know that it's great to be different and personal, but at the cost of convenience for trying... it's kind of a big toll.

Anyone want to chime in?
Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 04:09:16 »
Over a couple weeks of swapping between boards you evolve into your godstage and you can automagically switch and adjust between keyboard layouts with ease.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 04:10:00 »
Look at the arrows position on the second layer, this was no-go for me, arrows way too close to the fn key to use them when I tried the layout on a different keyboard.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 04:41:39 »

HAHAHAHA yes, exactly what I was thinking.

This video is exactly what is going on inside your brain when you hit godstage.
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 06:30:46 »
Pretty easy to get used to. Use it enough and it'll be stuck in muscle memory - I find it hard to use my ISO Ducky after a long session on the HHKB because the backspace and enter are in such different places. Not a big fan of the arrow key placement though, but I use Emacs shortcuts for arrow keys anyway so it doesn't matter that much.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 07:21:13 »
I think it took me a little under a week to get used to the new CTRL and Backspace location.
But once you get used to it, I think you start to realize how good it is :D

Sometimes I occasionally press capslock by accident on other boards, but not really:-[

TRUST ME IT HAPPENS :D

The backspace was honestly the most difficult part, but I promise you'll get used to it :3

EDIT: woops. The arrow keys are really intuitive when you get used to it as well - starts to feel natural after a while. I haven't looked into it much, but the Japanese version of the HHKB has arrow keys on the board :3

Ctrl where Caps usually is feels so much better. Of course, with other keyboards you can remap them. But that the HHKB has it by default is awesome. Now it really annoys me when I have to remap other keyboards to swap caps/ctrl. Difficult to go back once you have seen the light..

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:21:51 »
All in all, the HHKB layout keeps your hands closer to the home row at all times, and I think that's the point of it. 

Initially, the FN-layer arrow keys were the hardest to get used to. It took a few weeks of occasional use to get used to that, and I'm sure bouncing back and forth between HHKB and my work or laptop keyboards didn't help the matter. I'd estimate 3-5 days of more intensive use and I'd have gotten accustomed way faster. 

Now (a year later) it's all completely second nature. Because my right hand has much less distance to travel, I find the FN-layer arrows more convenient and easier to reach than traditional arrow keys. Seems trivial, but over the dozens, hundreds (?) of times a day you make that reach, it adds up. Your hands are just closer to the home row with the HHKB most of the time, and it keeps you more on target for typing.

I edit a lot of text, and very frequently use arrow keys with modifiers on OS X to keep my hands off the mouse (option-arrow or option-shift-arrow to move or select a word at a time, for instance), and that too has become totally reflexive and does not necessitate looking down at all. I still find myself looking down to find PgUp/Down and Home/End, though. And using the HHKB more intensively over the past month, the proximity of the Delete key to the home row has also become quite welcome.

I will admit to missing the Caps Lock every once in a great while, and while I'm sure the closer Control key placement is a boon on Windows, it's much less relevant on OS X where that key usually sees infrequent use.

The only situations in which I find the HHKB layout a bit sub-optimal are when entering a lot of numbers (as with any compact or TKL), and when trying to casually use the keyboard one-handed, like to activate Dashboard or change the system volume. Casually scrolling through a website with one finger on an arrow- or page-down key is a bit less convenient as well, but definitely not a huge deal.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:25:33 by dchadwick »

Offline ShardZer0

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:30:44 »
It took me 2-3 days to get used to the layout, it feels pretty natural overall.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:32:34 »
To paraphrase some DT user(can't remember who it was and can't find the post right now):

Getting used to HHKB is a breeze, but getting used to the standard after that is a ****ing nightmare
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:54:31 »
To paraphrase some DT user(can't remember who it was and can't find the post right now):

Getting used to HHKB is a breeze, but getting used to the standard after that is a ****ing nightmare

Exactly. I went back from my hhkb to my new kul es-87 with clears in the summer. I wanted to try clears and I wanted something else then topre for a change. But it was really difficult. Not because of the switch, but because of the layout. The HHKB is such a nice layout once used to it.