Author Topic: Backup keyboard for a Topre fan  (Read 9653 times)

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
Backup keyboard for a Topre fan
« on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:26:13 »
I've been dorking around with mechanical keyboards for a few years, and a couple months ago finally broke down and ordered a Realforce 87U (variable weight). I love it -- but it's created a minor problem for me, in that now I'm not sure how I feel about my keyboard at work, a CODE with MX Clears. After typing on the RF, these feel a bit awkwardly stiff.

So I'm considering getting another keyboard for work. (Which is dumb because I'm also considering selling four or five keyboards I'm not really using anymore, but never mind.) I'm looking for suggestions on what might fit the criteria, though:
  • lighter than the Clears
  • not as expensive at buying another RF87!
  • and, since this is an office, not insanely loud

I'm leaning toward something based on MX Browns, since they seem similar to the Clears, but less stiff. And I'm guessing they're not any louder (I don't think the CODE Clear has O-rings to make it quieter). I'm not sure what else is really out there. Matias Quiet, although I'm not sure whether I like their TKL layout -- I'm a fan of the more classic 87-key layout for TKL boards.
Realforce 87U / Unicomp SSM / KUL-87 MX Clear / Matias TP3 / CODE MX Green

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Backup keyboard for a Topre fan
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:31:24 »
I've been dorking around with mechanical keyboards for a few years, and a couple months ago finally broke down and ordered a Realforce 87U (variable weight). I love it -- but it's created a minor problem for me, in that now I'm not sure how I feel about my keyboard at work, a CODE with MX Clears. After typing on the RF, these feel a bit awkwardly stiff.

So I'm considering getting another keyboard for work. (Which is dumb because I'm also considering selling four or five keyboards I'm not really using anymore, but never mind.) I'm looking for suggestions on what might fit the criteria, though:

I'm leaning toward something based on MX Browns, since they seem similar to the Clears, but less stiff. And I'm guessing they're not any louder (I don't think the CODE Clear has O-rings to make it quieter). I'm not sure what else is really out there. Matias Quiet, although I'm not sure whether I like their TKL layout -- I'm a fan of the more classic 87-key layout for TKL boards.

Ignoring the price factor, HHKB is the only answer. If you've been bitten by the Topre bug, nothing else will satisfy you. :thumb:

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:42:29 »
Sell those 4-5 keyboards and get more Topre.  ;)
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:03:36 »
This is both a great and horrible answer. :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:09:06 »

If you like topre and then clears, stay away from browns. I can compare clears, browns, and topre and brown is nowhere near clears of topres in terms of tactility, feel, and even sound (IMHO). I would also suggest buying a HHKB. It is portable, light, you could replace caps in the future buy buying a set from EK.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:11:25 »
First of all, don't buy MX Browns. If you want Browns, Gaterons are MUCH better. As others have said, they don't come close to comparing to Topre though. Might as well sell what you have and get stuff you will use.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:14:06 »
Give op your resistance, topre = love ;)

Yes, it is more expensive initially but it will feel sooo rewarding in the long run.

I was hesitant at first, I even disliked topre initially. But then I used my HHKB for a week and I was sold. The feel, the layout, the everything. The only other switch I really like are clears.

But I must confess.. I've only used browns, blues, blacks, clears, and topre. No alps, Buckling spring, etc.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:18:09 »
If you want a larger backup, get a decent old Apple keyboard with Orange Alps.  They're the closest in feeling to Topre.  You should be able to get one and the necessary adaptors for less than $100. 

The next cheapest thing would be a Type Heaven, but it had ABS caps and is full-size.

Other than that, you're looking at more than $200 or modding a board.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:26:41 »
Still have yet to try stock clears on a full keyboard. What's the bottom-out force? I was thinking of getting just 67g Zealios and bypassing using Clears altogether.

Have a Realforce 55g at work and any other tactile experience leaves a bitter taste in my mouth--or rather, a bitter feeling on my finger tips. Love my buckling springs; love my Topre.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:28:42 »
Still have yet to try stock clears on a full keyboard. What's the bottom-out force? I was thinking of getting just 67g Zealios and bypassing using Clears altogether.

Have a Realforce 55g at work and any other tactile experience leaves a bitter taste in my mouth--or rather, a bitter feeling on my finger tips. Love my buckling springs; love my Topre.

65cn to actuation, 95cn to bottom out. But the interesting thing is, at the actuation point (when the key gets registered), there is a very large resistance that increases rapidly. In other words, beyond the actuation point, you need considerably more force to bottom out. In practice, clears feel not so hard or stiff because of this as you will bottom out less.

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:32:41 »
If you want a larger backup, get a decent old Apple keyboard with Orange Alps.  They're the closest in feeling to Topre.  You should be able to get one and the necessary adaptors for less than $100. 

The next cheapest thing would be a Type Heaven, but it had ABS caps and is full-size.

Other than that, you're looking at more than $200 or modding a board.
I hadn't thought about looking for an old Apple keyboard, but that's an interesting thought. I'd considered the Type Heaven despite it being full-sized, but...eh.

There's also the NovaTouch, possibly? That's around $160 on Amazon right now. Not cheap, but comparable to the Type Heaven price-wise.

IIRC, the Clears bottom out around 95 cN. As iLLucionist said, you tend not to bottom out with them because you quickly learn not to press them much past the actuation point.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:35:03 »

65cn to actuation, 95cn to bottom out. But the interesting thing is, at the actuation point (when the key gets registered), there is a very large resistance that increases rapidly. In other words, beyond the actuation point, you need considerably more force to bottom out. In practice, clears feel not so hard or stiff because of this as you will bottom out less.

I have a habit of bottoming out due to decades of acclimation. I most often bottom out with Blacks, and bottom out all the time with my 65g Zealios. I guess I could try the 67g; couldn't hurt.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:53:07 »

I have a habit of bottoming out due to decades of acclimation. I most often bottom out with Blacks, and bottom out all the time with my 65g Zealios. I guess I could try the 67g; couldn't hurt.

I can imagine. However blacks are linear whereas clears are not. So it is to be expected that you would bottom out on blacks (linears).

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 15:59:35 »
If you're looking for something that you can stomach, that isn't Topre, but also isn't trying to be Topre - I've come to really enjoy Zealios. Currently typing on 67g but it sounds like you might enjoy the 62g or 65g.

I highly prefer them to Browns (I realllllly dislike Cherry MX Browns now) and they are reminiscent of Clears but much smoother and a bit "crisper" if that makes sense.

I will also qualify this post by saying that I had a Realforce 55g for a while, and I still really enjoyed typing on these Zealios. Would often switch. Which means it was bearable for me after tasting Topre.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:43:32 »

Soon you will come to the horrible realisation that this is the only way to go.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:46:10 »
I seem to be the only person who enjoys moving back and forth between a 55g Topre and MX Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 03:21:19 »
I seem to be the only person who enjoys moving back and forth between a 55g Topre and MX Clears

Most often I move between MX clears (CODE TKL) at work and 45g Topre (HHKB) at home.

As close as I'll get to your alternation given that I have no 55g Thorpes.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Polymer

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 04:06:10 »
The problem you'll have if you're used to a variable is almost everything feels stiff...Even my other uniform Topre boards feel really stiff for awhile....

But I'm with everyone else, if you want another board go Topre...

Personally I use Topre for work since that is when I'm typing the most..and my Cherry for gaming...

If I had to pick something Cherry that isn't as tiring as Clears I'd use browns..I don't find them tiring to use after using my variable..They don't feel the same but I don't feel like my pinkies are getting tired either which is the main problem when switching from a variable..

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 05:02:04 »
Nah sell teh remaining board other than topre and buy an HHKB

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 05:10:45 »
Reading this thread made me consider selling my other keyboards just to get more Topre... and then I realized....... WHAT A HORRIBLE THING TO DO!

HHKB         Razer BlackWidow     Steelseries 6gv2         Logitech G710+
                   Evil Geniuses Edition   MX Red & Brown

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 05:11:36 »
Reading this thread made me consider selling my other keyboards just to get more Topre... and then I realized....... WHAT A HORRIBLE THING TO DO!
Nah its not horrible! more topre means more love don't hestitate on selling all your board for topre

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 06:15:56 »
How about a Dell L100 :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline jamster

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 07:04:56 »
I've realised that my preference is Topre by a wide margin, but Ergo Clear is also acceptable. Feels good, bottoms out nicely and as a snappy actuation to it. It is far better imo than any other MX variant.

The only downside is that it's a fair bit of work to do the modification.

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 08:22:43 »
HHKB or Cherry Reds are closest.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:00:36 »
Honestly, the Apple Extended Keyboard (not II) with orange Alps is the closest I've found to the feel of Topre.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 09:16:56 »
I've gotten into a routine now where I use torpe for most of the day and then when I get home I use browns. In a way, it's a bit of a relief for a few reasons: fc660c feels like 50g even though it's advertised as 45g, also because those are long typing sessions. When I use browns, it just feels easier to type on but in no way does it feel like topre.

Get a cheap MX board and maybe sell the others and as was mentioned, get more Torpe!!
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 10:21:22 »
If your main criterion is "like a Topre, but cheaper," then why not look at some of the Topre clones out there, like Royal Kludge, Noppoo, PLUM, etc.?

I know that the RK version, at least, also comes with silencing bands pre-installed, which will help with your "quiet for the office" criterion.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 10:57:24 »
Sell the Code keyboard use the funds to buy another Topre.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:11:22 »
If your main criterion is "like a Topre, but cheaper," then why not look at some of the Topre clones out there, like Royal Kludge, Noppoo, PLUM, etc.?

I know that the RK version, at least, also comes with silencing bands pre-installed, which will help with your "quiet for the office" criterion.
+1

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:02:12 »
i dual wield HHKBs
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:29:25 »
Why not just make Egro Clears? You'll have to de solder the board but it would be cheap.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline chipotle

• Coyote Tracks
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:44:33 »
Most often I move between MX clears (CODE TKL) at work and 45g Topre (HHKB) at home.

As close as I'll get to your alternation given that I have no 55g Thorpes.
This is almost what I'm doing, but I have the variable weight Realforce.

The idea of a Topre clone seems solid. I've been kicking around the notion of getting a Matias "Laptop Pro," their mini quiet tactile one for Macs -- not with the expectation it'll be anything like a Topre (I have an old Tactile Pro 3 keyboard), but that it will be different from the Cherry MX "feel," not as stiff as the clears, and fairly office-friendly. And it's Bluetooth, so I could pair it with an iPad. I have no good reason to do that other then "mechanical keyboard with an iPad."

(And I'd try Ergo Clears, but I'm pretty sure that me + soldering iron = apartment fire.)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:51:47 »
Why not just make Egro Clears? You'll have to de solder the board but it would be cheap.

Ergo Clears feel nothing like a Topre.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 08:30:15 »

now this is the answers to all you guys that compare tomatoes and steak

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 08:39:33 »
Reviews have noted that Topre clones feel a bit lower quality and more inconsistent than real Topre, which could cause some annoyance if you are switching between them.   I would just save a few bucks and buy another Topre or find a used Topre.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline 1391406

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:16:42 »

If two switches feel nothing alike then it's comparing fruit and meat. Comparing two switches that share similar qualities is a different story. For example, Topre and Orange Alps.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:26:27 »

If two switches feel nothing alike then it's comparing fruit and meat. Comparing two switches that share similar qualities is a different story. For example, Topre and Orange Alps.
Exactly, it's like comparing steak to tomatoes 8) .

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:26:47 »

But it's the only answer.

A dampened NovaTouch isn't so bad but adds up to being the same as a Realforce. Oops! The Noppoo and Royal Kludge Topre clones are ... reminiscent of Topre.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:47:44 »

If you're referring to Orange Alps and Topre, then no. It's nothing like comparing steak to tomatoes.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 11:51:48 »

But it's the only answer.

A dampened NovaTouch isn't so bad but adds up to being the same as a Realforce. Oops! The Noppoo and Royal Kludge Topre clones are ... reminiscent of Topre.

The only advantage of the NovaTouch is the MX compatible stems.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 12:09:22 »
To be honest, I never have problems switching between all my keyboard types (MX Red, MX Brown, Topre, and Quiet ALPS).

However in your case I'd suggest to just get a Type Heaven, I wouldn't say it feels the same as Realforce but it's pretty close.

BUT I did read a review long time ago (forgot where) that someone mentioned the Unicomp Rubber Dome actually feel a lot like Topre, so this might be a cheaper alternative option.

http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB4041B

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline 1391406

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 13:10:52 »
To be honest, I never have problems switching between all my keyboard types (MX Red, MX Brown, Topre, and Quiet ALPS).

However in your case I'd suggest to just get a Type Heaven, I wouldn't say it feels the same as Realforce but it's pretty close.

In my opinion, the ABS caps kill it for me. I have a Type Heaven sitting up in the closet that I haven't thought about using since receiving my 104U / 87U.  The keycaps widen the gap in feel to the point that I don't consider a Type Heaven a close enough approximation to recommend it in place of an RF.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 13:37:09 »

If you're referring to Orange Alps and Topre, then no. It's nothing like comparing steak to tomatoes.
It's an in-joke from DT where there was a similar discussion recently. I alluded to it in my Topre video review, too ;) .

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 15:14:19 »
Reviews have noted that Topre clones feel a bit lower quality and more inconsistent than real Topre, which could cause some annoyance if you are switching between them.

I had a Royal Kludge RC930 and 55g Realforce and had no trouble going back and forth between the two. To be completely honest, the Kludge felt better to type on, though admittedly not as good as 45g Topre in a Realforce or HHKB. That being said, for the price difference, I would still take the Kludge, especially when you factor in MX keycap compatibility.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 16:03:05 »
Agree with everyone who says that once you're into Topre, you are not gonna want to switch.

When I got an HHKB at home, it suddenly sucked to use the Apple Aluminum keyboard on my work computer. I ended up getting a Type Heaven for $100 used. It was great. Definitely a different feel than the HHKB because of the plate-mounted switches and somewhat less nice key caps, but really overall quite good and a fine counterpart to the HHKB. I ended up putting a set of Realforce PBT caps on it, which was a dumb decision price-wise (smarter to just get a RF right off the bat since it comes with the caps and they cost $150 after market) -- but I already had the Type Heaven so the setup was put together in stages. Honestly, though, the stock Type Heaven key caps are not terrible, and it is a genuine Topre keyboard.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:27:03 »

Still not the same. Alps feels like a plastic hitting tactile

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:29:14 »

It's an in-joke from DT where there was a similar discussion recently. I alluded to it in my Topre video review, too ;) .
Why did ya say it chyros. I want to see who got the jokes too

Offline Phenix

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 17:56:58 »
depends where your located.

Germany a Novatouch costs 110€ :D
Winter is coming.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:04:09 »

Still not the same.

Well duh. If they were exactly the same, they'd be the same switch, thus there'd be no point in comparing them. People compare things to determine differences and similarities. That's the point of comparisons.

That said, Orange Alps and Topre share a lot of similarities.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:06:30 by 1391406 »

Offline jamster

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:58:12 »

I am impressed that you identified tomatoes as fruit :)