Author Topic: Outlook Express in Windows 7?  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Outlook Express in Windows 7?
« on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 15:51:27 »
I have been trying to get Outlook Express on Windows 7 for some time now, and I just can't find it anywhere.  Anyone know how or where I can get it?

and just to make note of this, there is a typo in the title.  Think you guys can figure that out though...
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2009, 16:48:51 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline itlnstln

Outloom Express in Windows 7?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 16:03:19 »
I think it's called Microsoft Mail in Vista and 7 (I know it's not Outlook Express anymore).  I haven't used it in a long time as I use Gmail now for personal stuff and full-blown Outlook for work.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 16:06:42 »
Wow, I forgot about the days where people didn't use POP3... Mozilla Thunderbird is your friend.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 November 2009, 16:47:10 »
I was able to find a suitable program. Windows Live Mail.  Works just about the same as Outlook.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Hofy

• Voids Warranties
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 December 2009, 13:32:01 »
As you have found out Windows Live Mail is the Outlook Express for 7.
I is not included in any version of 7. It is a separate free download.

I thing the reason behind this is that so many people use online email now.  I know I have for atleast 3 years now.
Poker II Cherry MX Blue
Filco TenKeyless Zero Fukka
Cherry ML4100
IBM Model M 1391401 Buckle Spring Luvin

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 19:29:11 »
If you've got an old Office disk, you can use Outlook. I've got the very original version on my machines, Outlook '97.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 03:44:22 »
Use software that actually works...

Offline MFGorilla

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 00:35:06 »
+1 for Mozilla Thunderbird.  The calendar plugin works pretty well, too.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 14:38:11 »
Thunderbird is really nice, but i like outlook.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 15:17:21 »
Quote from: PRISONER 24601;138835
Thunderbird is really nice, but i like outlook.

Me too, I might try Outlook 2000 sometime if I can get my hands on an Office 2000 disk.
tp thread is tp thread

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 16:11:22 »
I can send you a copy of Outlook '97.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 17:16:55 »
What exactly does Outlook do that the web client of something like Gmail can't? Other than add superfluous amount of bloat and complexity to what should be a simple process...

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 17:49:00 »
The reason I use it is because that way you don't have to wait for the stupid webpages to load, and you won't have to type in both your username and password, you only need to type your password.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline bigpook

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 18:08:50 »
ditto on tbird. I use the lightning addin to sync with my google calendar too. It works very well.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 18:34:52 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;138915
The reason I use it is because that way you don't have to wait for the stupid webpages to load, and you won't have to type in both your username and password, you only need to type your password.

Gmail lets you save your login name so that you don't have to type it every time you use it. If you have a halfway decent browser, you can save your password as well. Sure it takes a second or two to load, but it's not as if Outlook can start up and download your emails instantaneously either...

They both suck. From a usability point of view, gmail is truly horrendous.

Do you mean that it's overcomplicated, or that it doesn't do what you need it to do?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2009, 18:38:01 by ch_123 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 11:23:28 »
I like to use Gmail. It gets the job done fine for me.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 22 December 2009, 17:18:28 »
Outlook Express in Vista was renamed Windows Mail, and I would presume it's still there in 7, but I'd have to check. Windows Live Mail feels like a rehash of the same tired old components with a revised front end.

I've been using Thunderbird for a few years. It's always lagged far behind Firefox for reliability, but I do like the UI and I feel pretty settled, for better or for worse (I've just about got over losing Mac Outlook Express 5 to the ravages of time, which was a very nice graphical mailer). Everyone and their dog tried to persuade me to go Gmail, but I was perfectly settled on the e-mail address that goes with my domain and had absolutely no desire to change!

Has anyone seen another program that changes the icons more frequently to pretend that the program has been revised, than Thunderbird?

At least it's extensible, which is fundamentally one of the most important things to look for in any medium-sized program up. Of course, here, I mean extensible as in, I can get an Outlook-style Outbox behaviour (just send and disappear dammit!) by installing three (not including Nightly Tester Tools) add-ons and munging together behavioural change!
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline elservo

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 02:15:32 »
Thunderbird has never liked sending emails to multiple contacts, at least in my experience.  Progress bar just hangs forever.  

I like Windows Mail a lot in Vista and 7.  It never gives me trouble.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 02:47:09 »
Go mutt, go!

Well I used to use mutt, but using GMail again as its handy with my HTC Magic. And html emails are a *****...

I had loads of trouble using ThunderBird with Scalex. I mean please, let me write a damn email while your sending it. Eventually used Opera's mail client so not to go insane from using the web one.

Oh, and Outlook (my office is cheap so its a bit old, 2003 SP3), will freeze if the exchange server decides to crash (common occurrence), and prevents me from finishing up the email I'm working on. Who's the retard who designed that?
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline whininggit

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 03:06:04 »
Outlook 2007 really sucked when released - I could repro PST 'corruption' regularly (it wasn't actually corrupt, but often wasn't closed properly and would go through the motions of checking frequently - and checking PST files really hammers the disk, might as well go and make a coffee and drink it too). They didn't fix this until a pre-SP2 hotfix which was then included in Office 2007 SP2.

I never had any such problems with Outlook 2003, although it can be frustrating if the connection to the Exchange server is lost.

It's nice to have Outlook on my main PC but for the others I use a more lightweight client, or use the Yahoo Mail web interface. I started out with Outlook Express and used that until I discovered Thunderbird (back at version 0.8 or 0.9), which gets the job done nicely. On my laptop I just use Opera for everything - that machine is so dog slow, it's quicker to just have one app to load.
Cherry G80-3000LSCGB-2 (modded to Cherry MX Browns) (main) | Cherry G84-4100 (Cherry ML) | Compaq MX-11800 (modded to Cherry MX Blue) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black) | IBM Model M 1391406 (Buckling Spring) | Matias Tactile Pro (1.0) (Alps) | SGI AT-101 (Alps w/Dampers) | Black Alpsulator (XM Alps-type)

Offline In Stereo!

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 05:55:31 »
I had to recover broken Outlook and Outlook Expres mail files so many times, that I'm always in doubt if everything will work on the next startup of the client. Outlook has an espesialy dumb way of saving the files -- one file for an entire mail folder?! Designed by DRUNK ****ING MONKEYS. The most of unsavvy computer users do not ever order their mail by different folders or archive old stuff (==sci-fi), therefore it is inevitable, that everything will all go to hell in a few years of constant use.

Although I must say that I prefer the Outlook 2007 GUI and functionality to any other client (Web based or not) I ever tryed. But a random Web mail provider proves itself incredibly more reliable.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 07:14:57 »
Maybe I'm of the wrong generation or something, but I've found mail clients are a clunky, messy, error-prone and overall unnecessarily complicated method of getting your email.

Gmail's interface is the best...the BEST...ever. However, even on my 512kbit/s connection, it does display issues (for example still transmitting data when I hit sign out after checking for new messages)...you should NOT need an extremely high speed connection to check your email.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:09:39 »
Granted, this has never been as true of Windows as Mac OS, but a desktop GUI tends to have a lot of rules. You have various type of buttons, sliders, bars, lists, tabs, and very well-defined behaviour for every single one.

Web-based applications have never afforded such confidence. If I change "tab" with the current Web page, will it use JavaScript to hide the current "tab", or just load a new tab URL and lose everything on the current one? Does this element on the page implement right click? Am I supposed to be able to drag this or not, and can I just throw random objects from Explorer/Finder at it? Keyboard navigation is just generally awful. That's what we're all here for, no? ;-)

Gmail isn't bad, but its insistence of staying in a single page with no dialogs or manager windows leads to a rather confused and odd interface, and they keep trying to be too clever with strange little widgets that don't behave in any logical manner.

I always found Mac Outlook Express to be the best graphical mailer -- drag and drop implemented to perfection, scriptable with event handlers right down to altering low-level message details, dynamically colours quoted text in the reply window as you add and remove '>'s, rewrap etc. Lists the sizes of attachments. Didn't need to re-Base64 the entire message on every draft save. The program couldn't have been more Mac like if they tried.

IMAP was a bit iffy though which would put me off now.

The Web is just too ad hoc for me and screaming out for some sort of standard widget toolkit where sites all behave predictably and remember that the middle button on the mouse exists for a reason. And that the keyboard does more than enter text :-)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:11:36 »
Quote from: kishy;153782
Gmail's interface is the best...the BEST...ever.

Gmail's interface sucks worse than a black hole; it's consistent with neither a cloud app nor a desktop app. It's not even consistent with itself. There's no rhyme or reason.

Now I understand Kishy better than ever. He thinks like Gmail!
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:49:11 »
Quote from: ricercar;153858
Gmail's interface sucks worse than a black hole; it's consistent with neither a cloud app nor a desktop app. It's not even consistent with itself. There's no rhyme or reason.

Now I understand Kishy better than ever. He thinks like Gmail!

Something like that, yeah.

I do generally have rhyme, reason or consistency - if only 1/3 at any one point - however.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 January 2010, 13:51:42 »
I use Gmail too. It's interface is good enough for me.