Author Topic: Coding typeface  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Coding typeface
« on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 18:57:00 »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: Coding typeface
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 21:19:34 »
There are plenty of wonderful open fonts. I use Inconsolata and have for years.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:15:30 »
Not for $200.

My current favourite is iosevka from: https://github.com/chrissimpkins/codeface
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:47:11 »
I really don't notice a difference to be honest just please don't make me use black on white. you will burn my retinas
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:59:02 by appleonama »

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:56:44 »
Not for $200.

My current favourite is iosevka from: https://github.com/chrissimpkins/codeface

Thanks you for this

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 22:57:23 »
I use Inconsolata in all of my terminals (my primary is urxvt) so it's naturally the font that is used by vim etc.  I do 100% of my coding in vim.  Inconsolata is free and has variants that work with powerline, which I use extensively.

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:02:40 »

This is what's up. <3 Honestly there are so many wonderful fonts that are truly libre free that are well-supported.  I wouldn't deviate from the beaten path here, but then again I run almost 100% libre software, so to me a $200 coding font, designed to allow my code to be italicized (oh my eyes!), seems a little garish.

Offline ImAWildDeer

• All about that click clack
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 12:08:09 »
Looks pretty weird to me, I would maybe try it, but certainly not for 200. I've been using Envy Code for a while now, and I quite like it. https://damieng.com/creative/typography/envy-code-b
HHKB | Ergodox Infinity | OG Ergodox | Atreus | Planck | WASD V2  | Whitefox | TX1800 | F62

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 14:44:03 »
If you're programming support the libre community and certainly do not pay for fonts!

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:43:33 »
Looks pretty weird to me, I would maybe try it, but certainly not for 200. I've been using Envy Code for a while now, and I quite like it. https://damieng.com/creative/typography/envy-code-b

Shout out to Damien.  Great coder, really cool guy and I would think he's probably on GH, too.  He's a former coworker.  Damien, if you're lurking this thread, shoot me a PM!

Offline skitty

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 18:31:23 »

I've been using Inconsolata for a few months on Linux and Consolas on Windows. They're both pretty great fonts.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 18:40:10 »

Ditto. Running Inconsolata & Solarized dark on pretty much everything.

No way on earth I would drop money on a font.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 18:56:31 »
If you're programming support the libre community and certainly do not pay for fonts!
This is horrible logic.

Making a nice typeface takes man-years of work by highly trained professionals. The only way great work gets done is if someone can make a living at it.

Inconsolata is cute, but it was a hobby project of a mathematician / programmer, who used it as a concrete example while writing his PhD thesis about new mathematical models for vector graphics. It has a limited glyph subset, and many minor flaws which never got cleaned up, as you would expect from an unmaintained hobby project. (This is not intended as an insult; I think Inconsolata is great for what it is.)

Other commonly available monospaced typefaces were paid for by giant corporations like Microsoft/Apple/Google/etc. for their own ends (e.g. Google’s Roboto Mono and Droid Sans Mono, Adobe’s Source Code Pro, or Mozilla’s Fira Mono). In some cases (e.g. Bitstream Vera Sans Mono, extended in various ways as Dejavu Mono, Panic Sans, Menlo, etc.), this work was generously donated (cf. http://web.archive.org/web/20030206224515/http://www.gnome.org/pr-bitstreamfonts.html) but the font designers still had to eat and be paid a salary. Bitstream was basically giving up hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of copyrights to the world.

In many other cases “libre” typefaces are just bad ripoffs of commercial work. The actual laws related to font licensing are a bit murky (commercial type foundries also release plenty of bad ripoffs), but at best this is ethically dubious business.

“Libre” is not a sustainable model for a whole type ecosystem, unless you’re relying on the patronage / good will of large corporations, who don’t in general prioritize users needs over their own, or unless you’re already happy with the options that exist and don’t care about ongoing improvement.

Directly paying for good work is the best way to support it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2016, 19:50:51 by jacobolus »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 19:56:19 »
Better non-blogspam links:

http://www.typography.com/blog/introducing-operator
http://www.typography.com/fonts/operator/overview/

What do you guys think?
I think it’s pretty interesting. It starts looking a little goofy at large sizes but is pretty nice for most typical code uses.

Especially the italic is a neat and pretty new idea. I don’t think I’ve seen an effective monospaced italic anytime recently.

I also really like the operators and brackets.

If I were publishing a programming manual or book of some sort, I would totally consider Operator.

As a regular user, I’m not sure whether I’m that excited. There are some other features of my editing environment (e.g. syntax highlighting scheme) that I should probably focus on first. And it’s hard to guess whether I’d prefer Operator long-term over alternatives.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2016, 19:59:52 by jacobolus »

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:44:53 »
As much as I like the idea of making characters like l, 1, I, etc easily differentiable, I'm not that much of a fan of doing it with cursive letters. I prefer the way DejaVu Sans Mono does it - curved bottom on the l, long top on the 1, and top and bottom on the I. Easily my favorite font for programming.

Offline 0x100

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 22:52:02 »
I don't know how I feel about the cursive style font that is inserted. Personally for programming I use PragmataPro, nice and simple.
All the best!

Offline Perish

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 10:31:42 »
Looks interesting. Consolas has been my preferred but I'll be looking into some of the others mentioned.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 10:33:42 »
I mainly use profont

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 13:02:15 »

Glad you find Envy Code R great!  Yes, I do indeed lurk here from time to time.

[)amien

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 13:04:42 »
Looks interesting. Consolas has been my preferred but I'll be looking into some of the others mentioned.

Newer builds of Windows 10 helpfully list other monospaced fonts for the Command Prompt/PowerShell windows. (Previously you needed a registry hack) which makes it easier to try non-Consolas alternatives :)

[)amien

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 21:50:25 »

Newer builds of Windows 10 helpfully list other monospaced fonts for the Command Prompt/PowerShell windows. (Previously you needed a registry hack) which makes it easier to try non-Consolas alternatives :)

[)amien

Whoa!

Slow down there, Microsoft.

Soon you'll start making the operating system usable!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 22:02:17 »
Not a fan

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 20:28:39 »
I've been using Adobe's Source Code Pro (the Source Sans variant) for quite a while, and like it a lot. Despite being Adobe, it is open-source.

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-code-pro

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 21:00:53 »
I waver between typefaces, but I don't code. Still, I like a few sans serif fonts for drafting essays/articles in basic word processors.

I've struggled for months finding good typefaces to match whatever I'm doing digitally. I'm still going at it, but have settled on Georgia for Kindle and Annivers for my phone. Still balancing between a few for my processors.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 11:32:26 »
I've been looking for years for a proper font. I HATE reading code on LCD screens. I liked it way better on CRTs, especially typical text-mode DOS.

After years, I've settled with Luculent:

139479-0

139481-1

MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 23:42:07 »
I've been looking for years for a proper font. I HATE reading code on LCD screens. I liked it way better on CRTs, especially typical text-mode DOS.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Luculent is already in codeface, which I linked above :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 04:34:36 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Whoops, sorry! I should've read better. But still.. those screenshots.. doesn't that font look beautiful!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 06:01:15 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Whoops, sorry! I should've read better. But still.. those screenshots.. doesn't that font look beautiful!

It does.

I hadn't noticed that font in particular, but I might give it a try ...

Currently using Iosevka.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 10:49:00 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

It does.

Currently using Iosevka.

Iosevka is nice as well. But the thing I like especially in Luculent – and what Iosevka seems to be missing – is weak or light type-hinting / anti-aliasing. If I go to the website and look at Iosevka in the browser, it looks relatively "fat" or strongly type-hinted, which – to me – makes it more difficult to read for longer stretches of work.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 01:47:26 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

It does.

Currently using Iosevka.

Iosevka is nice as well. But the thing I like especially in Luculent – and what Iosevka seems to be missing – is weak or light type-hinting / anti-aliasing. If I go to the website and look at Iosevka in the browser, it looks relatively "fat" or strongly type-hinted, which – to me – makes it more difficult to read for longer stretches of work.

I like taller, thinner typefaces, so I usually open a terminal window, then vertically increase the size a couple of notches to make the font a bit taller.  So many fonts end up with uneven thickness horizontal lines, as on "E".

Iosevka (and sometimes Iosevka Slab) seem to handle that quite well.