Author Topic: TV article about steam-punk modder "Datamancer" (German language)  (Read 3212 times)

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
TV article about steam-punk modder "Datamancer" (German language)
« on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 17:13:43 »
Following TV article is in German language, however contains plenty of steampunk keyboard footage, he clearly is using black ALPS for his projects. Guessing recycled AT101s:

Keyboards at 0:50+

(No Vimeo embedding here :<)

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 17:42:37 »
the somethingawful piece on steampunk forum was pretty funny for that reason

EDIT was gonna hotlink some image from it, but then realized i could really see this forum being on weekend web

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 17:44:14 »
Interesting - saw on his website about 6 months ago that he was using Das Keyboards as a base for his production units. Maybe he finally discovered their dark side and went with something better.

Currently on datamancer.net, he says he's using Cherry PS/2  "mechanical-switch" models as a base for his line of Custom Keyboards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2009, 17:47:42 by ak_nala »
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline chimera15

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 December 2009, 19:05:43 »
Omg he used the same method as me with alps switches!    That's cute though he does cosplay and everything.

That one shot at 1:16 coulda been off my compact, it looks exactly the same.   I wonder when he did that, if I was his inspiration. roflol

Looks like he hasn't done any compacts yet though. lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 December 2009, 19:17:58 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline JBert

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 December 2009, 14:25:23 »
Quote from: webwit;138151
I strictly wear Dutch steampunk period costumes and hats. Here's me getting ready to mount my DataChair.
Say Cheese!
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline Datamancer

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 December 2009, 17:00:39 »
Hello everyone, I found this post randomly through my Steampunk Google alerts and thought I should finally say hello, as I have actually learned A LOT about keyboards by gleaning this forum in the past.

I use a mixture of keyboards for my mods, including both Cherry and Alps switches, but usually yellow Alps. I've tried the Matias TactilePro, the Scorpius M10, a few different DSI boards (including that shorty compact you see in the video), and the Das Keyboard. The Das Keyboard is ok, I guess, not my favorite board to work with. The switches feel nice if you're into tactile switches, but they're kind of ugly, cosmetically. For modding purposes, I do like the separate, ribbon-cabled circuit board on the newer DK.

For the record, I don't "cosplay". Never have, never will (outside of Halloween). I view steampunk as an artistic aesthetic and have had no part in developing it into the Comic-con dressup cliche subculture is has become. Occasionally I'll throw on some formalwear to look nice, but that's about as far as I take it.

Anywho, I'm glad you enjoyed the video! There's some more info about the video in the post on my blog at http://www.datamancer.net/blog/ including a rough transcript of the English portions.

-~D~-

Offline Datamancer

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 December 2009, 17:32:23 »
Quote from: webwit;142084
Welcome to geekhack. Nice name, I assume it is a Gibson reference? One of my favorite authors.

Thanks! Yeah I came up with it many, many years ago when I was a young nerd so its inspiration is kind of halfway between D&D dorkery and cyberpunk.

-~D~-

Offline msiegel

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 December 2009, 18:49:06 »
:lol:

welcome, D
:)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 December 2009, 19:06:11 »
Blue Cherries are ugly, I am getting a brown cherry
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Datamancer

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 December 2009, 20:26:49 »
Haha thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

-~D~-

Offline chimera15

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 07:40:01 »
Quote from: ripster;142109
Don't Feed The Trolls You Must!
Show Image

I have to admit, I guess I did troll him a little. I knew if I called him a cosplayer, it'd increase the likelihood he'd join and post. roflol

Anyway, Welcome Datamancer, your stuff looks awesome. ;) We had the same idea with alps switches it looks like. ;)
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline Datamancer

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 14 December 2009, 15:12:12 »
Quote from: chimera15;142177
I have to admit, I guess I did troll him a little. I knew if I called him a cosplayer, it'd increase the likelihood he'd join and post. roflol

Anyway, Welcome Datamancer, your stuff looks awesome. ;) We had the same idea with alps switches it looks like. ;)

It's ok, I've gotten used to being associated with the cosplayer types. Steampunk has gone in some odd directions lately, some of which I'm not particularly thrilled about, but hey, whatcha gonna do?

Thanks, I'm glad you like my work. Did you do something similar with a compact keyboard? I've only had the chance to mod one compact so far and it's for a combo keyboard/trackball board.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 December 2009, 01:42:28 »
Quote from: Datamancer;142294
It's ok, I've gotten used to being associated with the cosplayer types. Steampunk has gone in some odd directions lately, some of which I'm not particularly thrilled about, but hey, whatcha gonna do?

Thanks, I'm glad you like my work. Did you do something similar with a compact keyboard? I've only had the chance to mod one compact so far and it's for a combo keyboard/trackball board.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=6313&highlight=steampunk

I never completely put the finishing touches on it.  I still need to do all the letters and finish the case, but it's working, and I use it every day basically.  Good board. ;)

How do you mount the keys to the switches? I had a lot of trouble coming up with a method, most of the thread is about me trying to figure out a way to do that.  Do you cut apart the caps and mount the new key to the top of them so they're removable from the switch, or use another method like mounting them directly to the switch?  It was a lot of work for me to do it with this method, I can't imagine someone else came up with the same painstaking way I did it.  Do you have a better method maybe?

Looking at the video again, I see you do use stems, but they look really uniform, did you find a replacement for stems or something?  Do you use the bottom of the key casing? It didn't look like it when you were putting in the new papers?  If you do use something new for a stem, how do you make sure you have the correct pitch for each row?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2009, 02:28:01 by chimera15 »
Alps boards: