Author Topic: 60% Case Idea  (Read 1601 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
60% Case Idea
« on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 17:58:51 »
So I spent way too long last night putting this together in 123D.  I think I got all my dimensions right, but it's an idea for a 60% case I had.  The idea was to make a case where the bottom is milled aluminum and the top is laser cut wood.  I always thought it was a classy looking combination. 

Assuming I got my dimensions right, the plate should sit flush with the top of the aluminum and the bottom of the caps should sit flush with the top of the wood.  The reasoning behind this is that it gives you the ability to have a case with a simple interchangeable top for different layouts.  If you wanted, you could cut a HHKB, Winkeyless, or any custom layout wood top that would rest just on top of the plate.

The angle of the case is roughly 5-6 degrees and made so the front half of the case should rest flush while feet (I'm uncertain of the design yet) keep it propped at that angle.  1.1cm in diameter rubber bumper cutouts have been added.

I was originally thinking of the whole case being wood, so I designed it to take 3mm in diameter standoffs, so that would have to be adjusted for aluminum.  I'd have to adjust it to be threaded for aluminum and I'd probably adjust it so that rubber gaskets can be placed between the post and the PCB as I feel it makes a dramatic improvement in feel.

I have no clue if or when I'd be able to get this made as cases are so damn expensive to get made unless you do a larger batch.  I may be able to get it done at a local maker space for a fraction of the cost though.  I'll just have to see.

If anyone with more CAD knowledge than me wants to take a look over the case, I'd be greatly appreciative.  Likewise, if someone wants to get one made up knowing that it's a prototype, feel free to hit me up.

More

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: 60% Case Idea
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 23:47:52 »
Looks sweet! Good luck with your project.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Re: 60% Case Idea
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 23:50:23 »
I personally like some front bezel, and no bezel the rest of the sides, but I'd like to see how this turns out.
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /