Author Topic: DELL AT102W - worth picking up?  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Fedora The Explorer

DELL AT102W - worth picking up?
« on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 13:33:33 »
I'm quite new to mechanical keyboards, as I just got my Cherry G80-3000 about 2 months ago with the MX Blue Switches. There might be an opportunity for me to pickup a dell at102w, but i'm wondering 2 things before i take the plunge. Am I going to like the ALPS switches coming from MX Blues and how much should I be paying for a used one in reasonable condition (in GBP, btw)? Thanks for the help
Current Keyboard:
Cherry G80-3000 MX Blue

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
Re: DELL AT102W - worth picking up?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 14:37:56 »
A lot of people here love Alps. I've never used one (on purpose,) so I can't tell you much else.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline Altis

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 14:39:26 »
Welcome!

The Dell AT102/AT101 (ANSI version) are quite common. They shouldn't cost too much (ideally less than 30 GBP I would suspect).

The used an SKCM Black alps switch that is tactile but not clicky. They aren't known to be particularly good, but there are many who do enjoy them. They tend not to age all that well with use (mostly due to dust/dirt buildup rather than actual use), so if it's in rough shape, that might make for a bad buy. A newer one should feel smoother and more consistent.

I have an AT101 and the feel is pretty good actually. It isn't a notchy tactility but rather a longer hump, which is itself quite smooth. I'm not crazy about the sound of them, though, with the exception of the really old (and expensive) keyboards.

Tell me this -- what do you like most about your MX Blue?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 14:41:23 »
I had one of these when I was new and exploring. By all means give it a shot if you're curious, they're not expensive. But the black Alps switches really do kinda suck. I was coming from MX blues at the time as well, FWIW.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:39:13 »
I maintain the AT101W should be everyone's first mechanical keyboard.

They're super common, I picked up another one myself today, in fact. You shouldn't pay more than £20 at most, and that's for a really good one. I don't even bother to sell mine because they wouldn't raise enough money to be worth the time :p . But if you look around you can often get them for free in all kinds of buildings as stowaways.

Its switches aren't great if you've tried many other switches before, but they're not bad either, and they give a great introduction to mechs as they're excellent all-rounders. From there on, you should be able to much more easily decide what future boards you might be into.

They're also very well-built, much better than many modern mechanical keyboards, and they look charismatic and imposing IMO :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 16:44:09 »
I maintain the AT101W should be everyone's first mechanical keyboard.

They're super common, I picked up another one myself today, in fact. You shouldn't pay more than £20 at most, and that's for a really good one. I don't even bother to sell mine because they wouldn't raise enough money to be worth the time :p . But if you look around you can often get them for free in all kinds of buildings as stowaways.

Its switches aren't great if you've tried many other switches before, but they're not bad either, and they give a great introduction to mechs as they're excellent all-rounders. From there on, you should be able to much more easily decide what future boards you might be into.

They're also very well-built, much better than many modern mechanical keyboards, and they look charismatic and imposing IMO :) .

I would agree with this. Also, the chassis is well-built and makes a viable transplant recipient for better switches such as orange/salmon from an AEK.
Comes in black, too.

How the hell or why did you become a DEMO-crat?” He asked.
“Long story, but it started with Nixon, then I was educated and know history as the Republicans are all about getting power to exploit it to their benefit, while Democratic politicians, for the most part, are for distributing things more equitably. I’ll finish with the overwhelming sociological and psychological evidence in studies that identify that conservatives see the world through inherent inequity where the elite or those who seek to be elite are superior to the commoners, and it is they who should lead. At the same time, liberals look at the world as inequality and seek to make the world more equitable, and that all should be represented. Ultimately, conservatives trust those in authority, while liberals inherently distrust those in authority to take advantage for themselves or their constituency.”
He looks up and says, “No one ever explained that to me, and then asks, “If **** Cheney thinks that Trump is that bad, then it's not about DEMO-crats vs Republicans, is it.”
I resume walking and then say, “Hey, you got it; it's the Democratic and old Republican parties versus Trumpism, which is American fascism aided by the Russians.”
- RWN 2024-09008

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 19:57:30 »
Welcome!

The Dell AT102/AT101 (ANSI version) are quite common. They shouldn't cost too much (ideally less than 30 GBP I would suspect).

The used an SKCM Black alps switch that is tactile but not clicky. They aren't known to be particularly good, but there are many who do enjoy them. They tend not to age all that well with use (mostly due to dust/dirt buildup rather than actual use), so if it's in rough shape, that might make for a bad buy. A newer one should feel smoother and more consistent.

I have an AT101 and the feel is pretty good actually. It isn't a notchy tactility but rather a longer hump, which is itself quite smooth. I'm not crazy about the sound of them, though, with the exception of the really old (and expensive) keyboards.

Tell me this -- what do you like most about your MX Blue?

I'd say the thing I like most about my keyboard is probably the actuation point coming from a membrane keyboard and the clicky sound, but that's not really a deal breaker.
Current Keyboard:
Cherry G80-3000 MX Blue

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 19:59:45 »
I think i'll try to get it for under £15 and if it goes over that then probably leave it, thanks for the help guys
Current Keyboard:
Cherry G80-3000 MX Blue

Offline Altis

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:42:20 »
If you don't like it, I've found that the Dell AT101 makes for a somewhat decent snow removal device.  :eek:

Got about 50cm (1.75ft) of snow today. Had to clear out the first 10 feet or so in front of the car to get it to the semi-cleared part.

The metal plate of the AT101 made it pretty sturdy and the keys stuck to the snow well enough!
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 14:19:06 »
If you don't like it, I've found that the Dell AT101 makes for a somewhat decent snow removal device.  :eek:

Show Image

Show Image

Got about 50cm (1.75ft) of snow today. Had to clear out the first 10 feet or so in front of the car to get it to the semi-cleared part.

The metal plate of the AT101 made it pretty sturdy and the keys stuck to the snow well enough!

Sad :( but funny.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:37:19 »
There's one on eBay for very cheap on atm that I bumped into earlier today, if you can't get yours cheap you might want to pick that one up :) . Don't have the link anymore but should be easy to find.
Check my keyboard video reviews: