Author Topic: Any fellow geekhacker that uses Latex?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Any fellow geekhacker that uses Latex?
« on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 07:21:37 »
I wonder if some of you guys do use Latex to write.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Any fellow geekhacker that uses Latex?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:01:54 »
Yup, if you mean LaTeX. I'm not a fan though. I prefer to use pandoc's extended Markdown with LaTeX formulas¹ and export it to LaTeX only when necessary, because various (La)TeX templates are often mandatory in academia.

¹ because they're widely supported, even by some JavaScript rendering libraries, and I can make use of tools such as detexify.kirelabs.org

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 11:04:58 »
Thought this was a tp thread based on the title...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:01:31 »
I have used both Latex and LaTeX, but not recently.
In college, I wrote most assignments and my thesis in LaTeX. Just don't expect me to remember anything though.
I have cast Darth Maul's horns in Latex, but other than that I have had more failures than successes.
🍉

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:33:03 »
LaTeX all day every day.  I'm writing my dissertation, so I mean it literally.  I just put a third digit on my page count a few days ago, even with all of my pictures hidden using
Code: [Select]
\PassOptionsToPackage{demo}{graphicx}.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:40:00 »
I sleep on latex, I don't think that is what you meant though.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:01:20 »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:01:57 »
I meant the typesetting system LaTeX.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:02:07 »
only when I feel kinky, stay safe kids seriously.....

I google'd to make sure what you meant. First result was fine but images  :eek:

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:11:55 by appleonama »

Offline gain

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:05:07 »
Used to back when I was uni, swore by it  :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:05:15 »
Not this:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:55:54 »
Used it for all of my papers in college, was fun. Not sure I have much of a use of it now, most software documentation works very well as a set of HTML pages.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline CoolGrayAJ

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 18:02:07 »
I used to use latex. Then my wife got pregnant.

HHKB         Razer BlackWidow     Steelseries 6gv2         Logitech G710+
                   Evil Geniuses Edition   MX Red & Brown

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 01:34:01 »
One of the guys at work was really pushing LaTeX a couple of years ago, but it never caught on.

We had to install a package son our computers in order to build his app, which included LaTeX documentation, and the install was > 1GB :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 05:49:59 »
LaTeX is only a format for TeX.

We had to install a package son our computers in order to build his app, which included LaTeX documentation, and the install was > 1GB :eek:
Do you know, that major TeX distributions let you pick what you want to install? TeX Live is very modular and MiKTeX even installs most components only on-demand.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 13:02:46 »
I just began using it for a paper I should submit soon, I found that the final draft is very cool, it looks like a book, beautifully crafted; but, the start was a huge headache. Now, that I solved most of the first problems, I should continue using it, it was that hard that I should take advantage of the time and pain I suffered to begin using this Tex thing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 22:46:39 »
LaTeX is only a format for TeX.

Do you know, that major TeX distributions let you pick what you want to install? TeX Live is very modular and MiKTeX even installs most components only on-demand.

We just installed the packages he recommended, which came to a bit over 1GB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 06:44:05 »
I use it daily. Although in the social sciences we are OBLIGED to submit in .doc or .docx (yeah, for real wtf), I use it for everything else. I recently wrote a stats book in LaTeX. It was awesome: figures to pdf using R, the rest all 100% latex. It was awesome, especially how beautiful formulas look.

For the courses I teach, I render formulas to PDF and then put them onto my keynote presentations. It looks so crisp.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 13:28:51 »
I use it daily. Although in the social sciences we are OBLIGED to submit in .doc or .docx (yeah, for real wtf), I use it for everything else. I recently wrote a stats book in LaTeX. It was awesome: figures to pdf using R, the rest all 100% latex. It was awesome, especially how beautiful formulas look.

For the courses I teach, I render formulas to PDF and then put them onto my keynote presentations. It looks so crisp.

Good tip, I became a bit tired to use mathtype for that.