Author Topic: Harro  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Perish

Harro
« on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 21:28:10 »
Received my new Topre Realforce 87U (White, 55g) in the mail today so this seemed like a logical conclusion.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Harro
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 03:33:24 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Nice keyboards :)  What made you start with Topre?  Or is this not your first mechanical keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Perish

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 08:35:21 »
Hey, thanks.

While I have had older computers in the past (Tandy's mostly), which I assume had mechanical keyboards, this is my first real (deliberate) modern mechanical keyboard. I like the aesthetic of the white Realforce 87U and people seem to be saying good things about them so I figured I would give it a shot and see how I liked it. Keyboards seem like one of those things where you really need to just sort of dive right in and try different things out to know what you like. Its funny, just owning it has exposed my lack of pro home row typing prowess - another thing I will need to start working on. The 55g Topre's are definitely different but they feel good and I think I am starting to get used to them.

Already eyeing some caps so I am sure I'll start playing around with modifying it a bit relatively soon. Also interested in looking into some of the more unique and harder to find boards out there. I don't know much about them but these Korean OTD's have caught my attention. Obviously I am sure there is a lot of stuff out there I don't know about but it should be interesting learning more.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 08:43:02 »
Hurros prease.

Offline Perish

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 08:59:28 »
Hurros prease.
Harro Hurro
Protratro Protrahtro

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 11:47:00 »
er herro dere. Welcome! :)
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 11:59:09 »
welcome to both dark sides :)
Hi :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 15:22:09 »
Hi, welcome. A keyboard larger than a HHKB? :gasp:  ;D
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 23:17:48 »
Hey, thanks.

While I have had older computers in the past (Tandy's mostly), which I assume had mechanical keyboards, this is my first real (deliberate) modern mechanical keyboard. I like the aesthetic of the white Realforce 87U and people seem to be saying good things about them so I figured I would give it a shot and see how I liked it. Keyboards seem like one of those things where you really need to just sort of dive right in and try different things out to know what you like. Its funny, just owning it has exposed my lack of pro home row typing prowess - another thing I will need to start working on. The 55g Topre's are definitely different but they feel good and I think I am starting to get used to them.

Already eyeing some caps so I am sure I'll start playing around with modifying it a bit relatively soon. Also interested in looking into some of the more unique and harder to find boards out there. I don't know much about them but these Korean OTD's have caught my attention. Obviously I am sure there is a lot of stuff out there I don't know about but it should be interesting learning more.

Have you seen the Korean keyboard thread?  Lots of nice pictures.  Looootsss of niiiiice piiiiiictures ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Perish

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:31:14 »
Have you seen the Korean keyboard thread?  Lots of nice pictures.  Looootsss of niiiiice piiiiiictures ...

Very cool, checking this out for sure, thank you. How does one go about finding out more about these? Say, hypothetically, I was interested in purchasing a OTD 360c. I would just wait for a group buy or ask around? Seems as though the OTD web site is pretty much out of the question given the language barrier.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:48:38 »

Very cool, checking this out for sure, thank you. How does one go about finding out more about these? Say, hypothetically, I was interested in purchasing a OTD 360c. I would just wait for a group buy or ask around? Seems as though the OTD web site is pretty much out of the question given the language barrier.

OTD has stopped making boards for quite some time now. You won't be able to join a group buy in order to get one. They are also extremely expensive at the moment, you'll be looking at spending easily over $1,000 for a 360c. From somebody that has a fair amount of customs I honestly suggest to not go chasing OTDs. Wait around, do some research, and join a group buy for a more modern board. OTD boards are PS/2, no LEDs, very little keymapping, etc. I have a 360c myself, yeah it looks great but there are better boards out there.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 16:49:57 »

If you use chrome you have the option of adding the Google translation extension. I use it to check on twitter users that follow me, and of course various tech sites. There is another service google offers to translate pictures too, I can't think of it atm tho
Chris Schammert

Offline Perish

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:02:07 »
OTD has stopped making boards for quite some time now. You won't be able to join a group buy in order to get one. They are also extremely expensive at the moment, you'll be looking at spending easily over $1,000 for a 360c. From somebody that has a fair amount of customs I honestly suggest to not go chasing OTDs. Wait around, do some research, and join a group buy for a more modern board. OTD boards are PS/2, no LEDs, very little keymapping, etc. I have a 360c myself, yeah it looks great but there are better boards out there.

Really valuable info, much appreciated.

Offline Perish

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:13:29 »
OTD boards are PS/2, no LEDs, very little keymapping, etc.

Random curiosity - do you happen to know why they would use a PS2 interface as opposed to USB? I am assuming there is some legit reason?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:21:02 »
No lag with PS/2 connections
Chris Schammert

Offline Perish

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:05:28 »
No lag with PS/2 connections

Thanks, I found this and I am really surprised. I would have never guessed that. Thanks a lot.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 03:58:56 »
Also PS/2 is generally NKRO, whereas USB is lower, maybe 6KRO.