Author Topic: Windows 2000 and Windows 7 networking...  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Windows 2000 and Windows 7 networking...
« on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 19:13:21 »
My printer is shared on my Windows 2000 machine, and I have been trying to set up that shared printer on my Windows 7 machine, but even when I put in the right password for the Windows 2000 machine, it doesn't work.  I have done this a number of times and so far the only solution I have found is to do a complete reinstall of Windows 2000.  However, I do not have this problem with my Windows XP computers.  I put in the same pass I tried in Windows 7 and I can get right in without any issue.  Does anyone have any clue of a way for me to fix this?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2009, 19:24:31 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 01:47:21 »
I haven't used 2000 in a veeery long time, but it sounds like you are having problems with Network Authentication (Kerberos). I vaugely remember it *****ing out over the smallest thing... though it is still far better than trying to get 98 to talk to anything over TCP/IP

Can you login remotely? View publicly shared files over the network?
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 10:28:03 »
The thing is I was able to get it to work for a little while after I did a complete Windows reinstall of Windows 2000 on my 2000 machine, but now it won't work at all, I have tried creating muntiple administrator accounts and tried logging into each one, and nothing works.  The question I now ask, is this a problem with Win2k or 7?
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 10:57:59 »
I have never had a Vista installation on any of my computers, because Vista is a worse OS than Windows 98.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline skriefal

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 11:04:23 »
Vista is fine.  It's leagues better than Windows 98 as far as usability and functionality is concerned, but not with regards to resource requirements (but that shouldn't be expected anyway, as it's 8 years newer).  It got a bad rap initially due to poor first-round driver support from 3rd-party vendors, but that has since been resolved.  Windows 7 built on Vista by tweaking a few UI things (Superbar, Aero Peek, etc) and tweaking the resource usage a bit... and it's now considered to be the best thing ever.  Heh.  That's marketing for 'ya.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 11:06:15 »
Either way, I still hate Vista.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 15:32:58 »
Quote from: kishy;139060
I will however say that getting Windows 7 to cooperate on my network was the most difficult home networking task I've ever attempted. It will remain the most difficult for all eternity as well, since it never happened and my Win7 installation still refuses to cooperate with my other computer(s).

Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;139063
The question I now ask, is this a problem with Win2k or 7?

Almost Certainly a bit of both. Windows7 networking, assuming you are using DHCP, is literally plug n play. If you are static IP'ing, and using 10.0.0.x, then it should "just work" too. I've personally never had a problem. Windows 2000 on the other hand has caused me many problems. Your mileage may vary. I have found that Win2K (and XP as well) can have, for no apparent reason, problems logging into other accounts on the networks for File sharing, on both static and dynamic IP's. It seems Kerberos doesn't like something. My printer works just fine using one of these:-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221384

but it refuses to print over a network if the printer is connected locally to the box. Printer is an Epson 1270, I also use a Epson R1800, but I use that networked, and have not tried it locally at all.

Quote from: skriefal;139090
Vista is fine.  It's leagues better than Windows 98 as far as usability and functionality is concerned, but not with regards to resource requirements (but that shouldn't be expected anyway, as it's 8 years newer).  It got a bad rap initially due to poor first-round driver support from 3rd-party vendors, but that has since been resolved.  Windows 7 built on Vista by tweaking a few UI things (Superbar, Aero Peek, etc) and tweaking the resource usage a bit... and it's now considered to be the best thing ever.  Heh.  That's marketing for 'ya.

Yup. but, to be fair, it is much better. I turn the eye-candy off anyway so let's ignore that. It works far better than Vista did. Granted, it got a much worse rap because of piss-poor driver support, and they are largely resolved now. If I *had* to buy a M$ OS now, it would be Windows7.

As it is, I use the Penguin variety of software, and any remaining M$ licences are OEM ones that are on Laptops, and a sole XP Pro Retail, that I use as I have yet to discover anything as good as Nero (6, not the new bloatware) for burning, well, anything really. I actually sold off my Win7 licences as 99.9% of our stuff is done in *nix, and CUPS, primitive as the interface is, just works.
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 15:37:03 »
Quote from: Computer-Lab in Basement;139093
Either way, I still hate Vista.

MIcrosoft philosophy on Vista:
It doesn't matter if you work well, as long as you look good.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 17:30:42 »
Quote from: skriefal;139090
Vista is fine.

I just did a manual disk defrag in Vista for the first time. They have 'improved' it by having it give NO feedback at all. Just a message saying 'this might take several minutes or several hours.'

It eventually took an hour and a half. Doesn't say much for the scheduled defrags it has been (allegedly) running for me in the background. And I can't tell how good a job it has done because it gave me no info at all. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

For all I know it did nothing at all.

Microsoft: One step forward, one step back, another few million dollars in the bank.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 02:12:05 »
What hacked me off about XP's defrag was that it didn't actually defrag. At least not by my definition/standards. In my book a defrag should (A) make every file contiguous; (B) shuffle all files together so the free disk space is also contiguous. PC Tools did a **perfect** job of this*, what, twenty years ago? Windows defraggers have always been sub-par and they get worse and worse. XP's defragger did a poor job of (A) and it didn't do (B) at all. I seriously doubt Vista's is any better. And I suspect that is precisely why they chose not to give any info.

I did try Diskkeeper at one point. It has the option of defragging after a reboot, before Windows starts. So it can do a very good job without any open file issues getting in the way.

(*) Of course PC Tools took about half an hour to defrag a 20MB hard drive, but that's 80s PCs for you.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 08:14:15 »
I don't defrag my disks much anyways, considering the largest hard disk I have is 40 Gig.  Also, I never have any reason to do a defrag, if my computer starts running slow or starts having problems, I just do an OS reinstall, and with my old hunks of junk, this is faster and easier than doing a defrag.  It is simple: just collect all your important docs on a USB flash device and format the disk.  I don't think you would need to defrag a freshly formatted disk.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 December 2009, 14:03:05 »
For custom defragmentation, it's hard to beat Jkdefrag / MyDefrag.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 00:57:34 »
Quote from: Rajagra;139321
What hacked me off about XP's defrag was that it didn't actually defrag. At least not by my definition/standards. In my book a defrag should (A) make every file contiguous; (B) shuffle all files together so the free disk space is also contiguous.

If you have no objection to Paying for software, then O&O Defrag. Used it for about 6 years. Plenty of control, and it's fast too, and will adhere to your (correct) definition of Defragmented (In alphabetical order if you want it to).

Quote from: Rajagra;139321
PC Tools did a **perfect** job of this*, what, twenty years ago? Windows defraggers have always been sub-par and they get worse and worse. XP's defragger did a poor job of (A) and it didn't do (B) at all. I seriously doubt Vista's is any better. And I suspect that is precisely why they chose not to give any info.

(*) Of course PC Tools took about half an hour to defrag a 20MB hard drive, but that's 80s PCs for you.

PC Tools was brilliant, but, IIRC, I was lucky enough to have Norton's Disc Doctor suite on my 386/40 (This was 15 years ago, I was still a teenager, and many legal and illegal substances make that period... well, rather hazy) The college I was in used PC Tools though, and I remember liking it a lot.

(For the youngun's, this was a time when the name Norton meant "Peter Norton had a hand in this and it's good" rather than "Another symantec piece of bloatware").
:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 01:24:44 »
Quote from: InSanCen;139651
(For the youngun's, this was a time when the name Norton meant "Peter Norton had a hand in this and it's good" rather than "Another symantec piece of bloatware").

Norton then:

Norton software now: