Author Topic: Keycaps list ordered by texture/slipperiness?  (Read 3243 times)

Offline blai5000

Keycaps list ordered by texture/slipperiness?
« on: Wed, 24 February 2016, 23:07:22 »
Is there any sort of compilation of keycaps based on what their texture is?  Like, maybe a 1-10 scale of how textured are Vortex PBT vs SP PBT vs Tai-Hao ABS vs GMK ABS vs Stock Ducky keycaps vs JTK, etc, with 1 being really slippery and 10 being super textured. 

After I tried SP's textured ABS DSAs I've found that I actually prefer slippery caps over textured caps, so I wanted to have a resource available so people can get an idea of how certain keycap sets might feel before committing to purchasing what could be an expensive set.  I'd probably rate SP ABS DSAs as an 8 or 9 in terms of how much texture they have.

Offline The Hobbiest

Re: Keycaps list ordered by texture/slipperiness?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 16:37:50 »
I can't compare the Ducky PBT caps I got to the others because I don't have them but to me they feel slightly more textured than a fresh set of ABS caps.  No sandpaper feeling here, these are more like running your hand over silk. These have to be on the slicker side of the PBT spectrum

Offline blai5000

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 20:23:46 »
I can't compare the Ducky PBT caps I got to the others because I don't have them but to me they feel slightly more textured than a fresh set of ABS caps.  No sandpaper feeling here, these are more like running your hand over silk. These have to be on the slicker side of the PBT spectrum

Good to know.

I've been doing some light researching around and from what I've read and seen it looks like SP ABS DSA is slightly more "textured" than GMK, which is slightly more textured than JTK?  Additionally, it looks like POM is smoothest of all supposedly, and polycarb (from translucent keycaps) is allegedly also smoother than your average stock abs.

I'd appreciate any confirmation from all you keycap experts out there! :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 20:29:49 »
IF you want the smoothest caps then get used shiny original cherry double shots.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 01:26:23 »
Cherry Original POM are very smooth too

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 07:13:48 »
The smoothness on OG dyesubs is second to none, however OG doubleshots are also a good option.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 07:16:30 »
Anything POM should be at the top of the list. So slippery. Not even smooth, just slick. They're fun.

Offline blai5000

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:09:39 »
POM sounds like what I'm looking for...might spring for a KBC set on aliexpress.

Any comment/experience with translucent polycarbonate?

Offline svetlio_vd

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:10:23 »
For sure POM and ABS is going to be more smooth than PBT, I think. Writing from a Vortex PBT set, I can say they are quite textured, but I do not have another PBT set for a comparison. Anyway, I would give them maybe 9 :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 09:10:51 »
POM sounds like what I'm looking for...might spring for a KBC set on aliexpress.

The trans polycarb from SP and their ABS DCS felt relatively close to me. Cherry lasered POM sets are pretty cheap ($20-30) as well. A G81-LXXX that has dark caps will be lasered POM in Cherry profile with MX mounting. Yes MY switches have caps that can be used on MX boards. See this DT article for more info.

Offline blai5000

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 20:23:07 »

The trans polycarb from SP and their ABS DCS felt relatively close to me. Cherry lasered POM sets are pretty cheap ($20-30) as well. A G81-LXXX that has dark caps will be lasered POM in Cherry profile with MX mounting. Yes MY switches have caps that can be used on MX boards. See this DT article for more info.

You've got me looking at the G80-11900 now.  The layout is interesting enough that I'd probably use one as-is rather than harvesting caps off of one.

Offline blai5000

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:08:26 »
Just received a G80-8113LRDUS used.  Even without cleaning the caps I can tell they're very smooth, but smooth in a way that's different than the stock Ducky ABS.  The ABS caps are smooth in a glassy/icy way, while the POM caps are more of a silky/soft fur type of smooth.

One thing that makes the POM caps textured though, is the laser infilling.  You can feel the printing on the caps, which I don't experience on Ducky's stock etched ABS.  Might have to look into getting a set of blank POMs to see what they feel like without the infill, but the only set I can find are the $100 sets from Zeal.  EDIT: The blank relegendables on the 8113 are smooth af.

All in all, I'd rank the infilled caps a 9/10 in terms of smoothness, the blank ones would probably be are definitely a 10/10.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:10:10 by blai5000 »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:10:55 »
With some very fine sandpaper, you can make any keycap smooth.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:13:35 »
OG Cherry double shots, the best ever typing experience, I know each one has its own, but these one feel great.