Author Topic: Well met to all, from the PNW!  (Read 3682 times)

Offline Quakemz

Well met to all, from the PNW!
« on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 21:57:50 »
Hello, everyone!

I'm Quakemz, from the beautiful evergreen state of WA.

I've been a fairly hardcore PC enthusiast for many years now. Spending much of my days on Reddit, where I would help people and offer advice on their systems and help troubleshoot problems - as well as learn. We're all students in this life.

I started to feel my passion wane a bit for it about 8 months ago. That's where my new journey began.

Until then, my knowledge of mechanical keyboards was quite minimal. I had a Quickfire Rapid with MX Blacks that I was happily clacking away on for about two year, but I had no idea what was in store for me in the coming months.

As a frequent user of /r/hardwareswap, I happened to stumble upon /r/mechmarket and /r/mechanicalkeyboards.

"What is this mysterious place?"

There are so many terms I didn't know....

"What's an SA?"

"60%? 60% of what???"

"Who is this Topre I keep hearing about?"

Needless to say, I was immediately, yet comfortably overwhelmed. I was intrigued. I had a mechanical keyboard, but didn't realize how much larger the world was outside of my QFR with MX Blacks.

My first purchases off of /r/mechmarket was a stock white Poker II with MX Browns. I was instantly hooked. I had never experienced a keyboard so small and comfortable. The PBT keycaps lightly textured, yet so smooth. The switches so light, and where has this tactile bump been all of my life?

It's been a wild ride ever since. In the last 8 months, I've probably owned upwards of 30 different keyboards, ranging in all sizes, brands and switch types, constantly swapping one for another in my journey to find my end-game boards and switches.

It's a journey I don't really want to end...

Thankfully, I'm fortunate enough to make just enough money at my job to live comfortably and be able to afford this habit, which leads me to my current collection:

- White HHKB Pro 2

- Novatouch

- KBP V80 with Matias Click

- QFR with MX Blues

- Pok3r with MX Clears (On the way!)

I'm also currently gathering parts to build my first custom keyboard (Yay!)

I'll probably start with a stock Pok3r case (Since I'm going to have one to spare from my gf's Pok3r once she gets her Purple TEX), a simple GH60 PCB, and I just put in for the Zealios GB with 70 of those sexy 62g Purples. I'm still undecided on the plate, but I still have lots of time to decide.

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to join GH. I've been aware of it for months, though people just recently have been suggesting it to me. Better late than never, I suppose!

Anyways, I've rambled long enough. If you actually took the time to read all of this, I thank you. I definitely hope I fit in here, because the community seems very nice! <3  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:14:06 by Quakemz »

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: Well met to all, from the PNW!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 09:45:04 »

Hello, everyone!

I've been a fairly hardcore PC enthusiast for many years now. Spending much of my days on Reddit, where I would help people and offer advice on their systems and help troubleshoot problems - as well as learn. We're all students in this life.

I started to feel my passion wane a bit for it about 8 months ago. That's where my new journey began.

Until then, my knowledge of mechanical keyboards was quite minimal. I had a Quickfire Rapid with MX Blacks that I was happily clacking away on for about two year, but I had no idea what was in store for me in the coming months.

As a frequent user of /r/hardwareswap, I happened to stumble upon /r/mechmarket and /r/mechanicalkeyboards.

"What's an SA?"

"60%? 60% of what???"

Needless to say, I was immediately, yet comfortably overwhelmed. I was intrigued. I had a mechanical keyboard, but didn't realize how much larger the world was outside of my QFR with MX Blacks.

My first purchases off of /r/mechmarket was a stock white Poker II with MX Browns. I was instantly hooked. I had never experienced a keyboard so small and comfortable. The PBT keycaps lightly textured, yet so smooth. The switches so light, and where has this tactile bump been all of my life?

It's been a wild ride ever since. In the last 8 months, I've probably owned upwards of 30 different keyboards, ranging in all sizes, brands and switch types, constantly swapping one for another in my journey to find my end-game boards and switches.

Thankfully, I'm fortunate enough to make just enough money at my job to live comfortably and be able to afford this habit, which leads me to my current collection:

- White HHKB Pro 2

- Novatouch

- QFR with MX Blues

I'll probably start with a stock Pok3r case (Since I'm going to have one to spare from my gf's Pok3r once she gets her Purple TEX), a simple GH60 PCB, and I just put in for the Zealios GB with 70 of those sexy 62g Purples. I'm still undecided on the plate, but I still have lots of time to decide.

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to join GH. I've been aware of it for months, though people just recently have been suggesting it to me. Better late than never, I suppose!

Anyways, I've rambled long enough. If you actually took the time to read all of this, I thank you. I definitely hope I fit in here, because the community seems very nice! <3  :thumb:

Hi and welcome!  I started my journey about a year or so ago.  I had mechs in my life, but had no idea the customization and community that existed.  I needed to find a new keyboard as my mx blues on my das keyboard were keeping my roommate up. I ended up getting a wasd v2 with Browns and o-rings.  Somehow in all my searching I stumbled upon both GH and Deskthority.  I saw a 40 percent prototype project on dt and was immediately intrigued. More searching unearthed the JD40. I placed an order.  I waited.  I waited some more. In the mean time Swill launched his plate builder tool.  There were somethings I wanted to change about the JD40.  Input together my own layout, ran it through the plate builder tool and ordered from big blue saw.  I hand wired my first kb. I flew out to Chicago for keycon and was one of the presenters! I met so many cool people.  Fast forward several months.  I finally got around to learning kicad and put together my first pcb. I dust off my auto desk skills and design a case and am getting close to launching my first gb. Naturally I'm still waiting for the jd40 to arrive.... 

Anyways, I've learned so much and done things I would have never imagined and it's all thanks to this wonderful community.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 21:10:32 »

Welcome to GH!
This is exactly what has happened to me. Building computers started getting a little stale for me, and mechanical keyboards really helped to breathe new life into my love for technology.

- White HHKB Pro 2

- Novatouch

- QFR with MX Blues

That's quite a collection you have already. It will only get bigger on here. Hang on to that wallet.  ;)
You should fit in just fine around here. Welcome!  :thumb:
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 21:19:42 »
Welcome, sir!  Wow, 30 boards in 8 months!  I hope you enjoy your stay here...and find your next 30 boards to try.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 00:44:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

30 keyboards is a lot!  Do you remember all of them?  Most of them?  Perhaps you could post them here (thread needs more love).

Have you tried any buckling spring keyboards?

Anything with Alps?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:13:40 »
Thanks!

I should be able to remember most, if not all of them, since the timeframe hasn't been too long. I'll try to put up a list when I get a chance over in that thread! :)

Of those keyboards, I did own/try a single BS keyboard: A Unicomp Model M 122 that I picked up on /r/mechamarket for $38.50 shipped. I figured it was time to give it a try, and the price was attractive, to say the least. Unfortunately, it took me all of an hour to realize that BS wasn't for me. A bit too stiff and heavy for me, though I can appreciate the nostalgia factor. I also had a problem with a board that massive taking up so much of my desk space. If I can find an SSK for a reasonable price, I might be willing to give it another try.

I have yet to own any board with Alps, though I do have this V80 Matias Click TKL that I actually really enjoy (currently using it as my main right now!), and can't wait to swap it for a V60 with the same switches, or possibly try one of the other Matias switches.

I feel like I should pick up an Alps board or two, as they seem to be much less expensive than a lot of alternatives. Are Alps and BS your favorite types of switches?

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:15:55 »
Welcome, sir!  Wow, 30 boards in 8 months!  I hope you enjoy your stay here...and find your next 30 boards to try.

Thanks, bud! The journey is far from over for me, and I think that makes me as excited, or even more than finding my end-game board(s)!  ;D

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:17:25 »

Hello, everyone!

"What's an SA?"

"60%? 60% of what???"

- White HHKB Pro 2

- Novatouch

- QFR with MX Blues

Hi and welcome!  I started my journey about a year or so ago.  I had mechs in my life, but had no idea the customization and community that existed.  I needed to find a new keyboard as my mx blues on my das keyboard were keeping my roommate up. I ended up getting a wasd v2 with Browns and o-rings.  Somehow in all my searching I stumbled upon both GH and Deskthority.  I saw a 40 percent prototype project on dt and was immediately intrigued. More searching unearthed the JD40. I placed an order.  I waited.  I waited some more. In the mean time Swill launched his plate builder tool.  There were somethings I wanted to change about the JD40.  Input together my own layout, ran it through the plate builder tool and ordered from big blue saw.  I hand wired my first kb. I flew out to Chicago for keycon and was one of the presenters! I met so many cool people.  Fast forward several months.  I finally got around to learning kicad and put together my first pcb. I dust off my auto desk skills and design a case and am getting close to launching my first gb. Naturally I'm still waiting for the jd40 to arrive.... 

Anyways, I've learned so much and done things I would have never imagined and it's all thanks to this wonderful community.

Wow, you're already so accomplished! I haven't even built my own board yet...

I'm getting there, though! Once these Gateron switches arrive, it will be my first build! <3

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:22:49 »

Welcome to GH!
This is exactly what has happened to me. Building computers started getting a little stale for me, and mechanical keyboards really helped to breathe new life into my love for technology.

- White HHKB Pro 2

- Novatouch

- QFR with MX Blues

That's quite a collection you have already. It will only get bigger on here. Hang on to that wallet.  ;)
You should fit in just fine around here. Welcome!  :thumb:

Thanks, friend!

My wallet has been taking punches, but it's still currently stable! Due to lack of space, I try not to have too many boards at one time. 5 is the most I let myself have at any point, usually. My gf suggested I actually mount them to the wall beside my desk via 3M velcro strips (the heavier duty ones, and 2 per board) and it's been awesome. I have 3-4 mounted there  that I can essentially "hot-swap" at any point, since none of my current boards have embedded cables. I typically prefer lighter switches for typing, but heavier for gaming.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:44:09 »
Thanks, friend!

My wallet has been taking punches, but it's still currently stable! Due to lack of space, I try not to have too many boards at one time. 5 is the most I let myself have at any point, usually. My gf suggested I actually mount them to the wall beside my desk via 3M velcro strips (the heavier duty ones, and 2 per board) and it's been awesome. I have 3-4 mounted there  that I can essentially "hot-swap" at any point, since none of my current boards have embedded cables. I typically prefer lighter switches for typing, but heavier for gaming.

Quick question. Is your gf a genius? That's an awesome idea, I'm going to have to do that. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm a heavy switch man myself. Tactile for typing, linear for gaming is my current goal. (My collection is just starting, not nearly as impressive as yours ;))
What Gaterons did you order for your first build?

Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 07:56:13 »
Thanks, friend!

Quick question. Is your gf a genius? That's an awesome idea, I'm going to have to do that. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm a heavy switch man myself. Tactile for typing, linear for gaming is my current goal. (My collection is just starting, not nearly as impressive as yours ;))
What Gaterons did you order for your first build?

She's pretty smart, that's for sure!

For my first build, I actually just recently joined the GB from Zeal. I'll be getting his Purple Tactile switches with the 62g spring. Enough for my custom 60%, plus a bit extra, in case I mess up somehow. I'm also employing a black Pok3r case that I will have to spare shortly, as well as a GH60 PCB. I haven't decided on a plate yet, but I have time to figure it out. Probably order one from LeandreN, because I definitely like supporting my community!

They are modified Gaterons, basically. I had a sampler of them and they were very nice. Super smooth with a sharp bump and a comfortable weight. Though I guess it's hard to say that's how the full board experience will be. It's kind of hard to tell via just one switch. I'm really looking forward to it, though I'm sad I have to wait at least a couple weeks to get them. :(

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:19:21 »
For my first build, I actually just recently joined the GB from Zeal. I'll be getting his Purple Tactile switches with the 62g spring. Enough for my custom 60%, plus a bit extra, in case I mess up somehow. I'm also employing a black Pok3r case that I will have to spare shortly, as well as a GH60 PCB. I haven't decided on a plate yet, but I have time to figure it out. Probably order one from LeandreN, because I definitely like supporting my community!

They are modified Gaterons, basically. I had a sampler of them and they were very nice. Super smooth with a sharp bump and a comfortable weight. Though I guess it's hard to say that's how the full board experience will be. It's kind of hard to tell via just one switch. I'm really looking forward to it, though I'm sad I have to wait at least a couple weeks to get them. :(

I hopped on that too. I've heard the Zealios switches are wonderful. I believe he said he will get them mid-March and shipping them all out will take a week or two. Not too far. You can make it.  ;)

Have you ever soldered before? There are tons of guides and resources on this site. And everyone is pretty helpful.
Collection:
More

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 20:31:19 »

I hopped on that too. I've heard the Zealios switches are wonderful. I believe he said he will get them mid-March and shipping them all out will take a week or two. Not too far. You can make it.  ;)

Have you ever soldered before? There are tons of guides and resources on this site. And everyone is pretty helpful.

I haven't soldered before, but I've seen some videos on it and found tips and such. I should be alright. Doesn't seem too difficult. :P

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 00:18:04 »
Shouldn't be difficult if you have somewhat steady hands
Chris Schammert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 03:21:47 »
Thanks!

I should be able to remember most, if not all of them, since the timeframe hasn't been too long. I'll try to put up a list when I get a chance over in that thread! :)

Of those keyboards, I did own/try a single BS keyboard: A Unicomp Model M 122 that I picked up on /r/mechamarket for $38.50 shipped. I figured it was time to give it a try, and the price was attractive, to say the least. Unfortunately, it took me all of an hour to realize that BS wasn't for me. A bit too stiff and heavy for me, though I can appreciate the nostalgia factor. I also had a problem with a board that massive taking up so much of my desk space. If I can find an SSK for a reasonable price, I might be willing to give it another try.

I have yet to own any board with Alps, though I do have this V80 Matias Click TKL that I actually really enjoy (currently using it as my main right now!), and can't wait to swap it for a V60 with the same switches, or possibly try one of the other Matias switches.

I feel like I should pick up an Alps board or two, as they seem to be much less expensive than a lot of alternatives. Are Alps and BS your favorite types of switches?

You can even get a 60% BS keyboard, a Kishsaver.  You can even get one (sort of) new: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.0

Matias switches are generally pretty well regarded, although I am yet to try anything Alps-like (apart from some green Alps in an old electric typewriter I have).

My two favourite switches are 45g Topre (in HHKB) and buckling spring.  Kinda opposite ends of the spectrum :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Quakemz

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 06:04:54 »
Thanks!

You can even get a 60% BS keyboard, a Kishsaver.  You can even get one (sort of) new: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=79141.0

Matias switches are generally pretty well regarded, although I am yet to try anything Alps-like (apart from some green Alps in an old electric typewriter I have).

My two favourite switches are 45g Topre (in HHKB) and buckling spring.  Kinda opposite ends of the spectrum :))

Oh, nice! I'll definitely be checking out that 60% BS.

45g is one of my favs, too! I always feel like the majority of Topre users prefer 55g, but I found it a bit too still. These Matias clicks might be my other favorite, but I'm really looking forward to these Zealios, once they arrive!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 16:18:51 »
hi im from washington too i was born in the magical city of everett but i didnt live there very long and NOW I HAVE A BLOG https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74337.0
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 01:21:45 »
Nice to see more Washington people here :)

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!