Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Zero All-in-One PC/Keyboard Combo (Just an Idea)  (Read 3684 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Raspberry Pi Zero All-in-One PC/Keyboard Combo (Just an Idea)
« on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 21:52:47 »
Hey, so I was looking at my Raspberry Pi Zero, and thinking about building a 60% keyboard case with a spot to mount one inside, so you could have a totally portable PC/keyboard combo.

Something like this:

That top pocket could house the Raspberry Pi. The keyboard matrix would not have a hardware controller, but rather the Raspberry Pi's GPIO pins would connect directly to the matrix via ribbon cable (or direct wire to the switches if I end up going without a PCB).

There are a few projects out there that are designed to poll input via GPIO, which can be used for things like arcade buttons and joysticks, etc. For example: https://github.com/mmoller2k/pikeyd (it's old but looks pretty good as a starting point).

What do you guys think?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Raspberry Pi Zero All-in-One PC/Keyboard Combo (Just an Idea)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:30:38 »
It's certainly possible, not sure you'd want the Pi exposed like that though.  Go for it :)

edit: actually, would the Pi keep up with your typing while running a full OS? Maybe with a realtime kernel... I think you should try it before buying the custom case.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:33:58 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:54:02 »
It's certainly possible, not sure you'd want the Pi exposed like that though.  Go for it :)

edit: actually, would the Pi keep up with your typing while running a full OS? Maybe with a realtime kernel... I think you should try it before buying the custom case.
I would definitely start with the electronics first. The GitHub project I linked to claims to be able to poll GPIO for input fast enough for video game emulators, while using only about 1% CPU... If that's true it should be totally doable.

And I was also thinking about covering the Pi with a piece of Lexan or something... I just didn't take the time to draw that part yet.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jd29

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 13:31:34 »
I like this idea. You mean to use the Pi as a full-blown portable computer?

The Pi doesn't make a good desktop device. It's at home doing more integrated tasks. If you don't mind extending the bezel by about 30mm, a more powerful SBC up there would give you a much more comfortable and capable experience. Actually, I'd put it on the left side.

But if you're happy with the performance, go for it! With all that extra space in your current design, though, you could add a small LCD, maybe break out the IO. I think you could route a USB hub to the back.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 13:40:35 by jd29 »

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 08:58:35 »
This is an idea that I had too, but I was also thinking about using a Raspberry pi 2 or a Model A. I was considering the Zero too, but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough. I know for sure that the 2 is, but I'm also not sure about the A(+).

I was looking at my Raspberry Pi Zero

One day I'll be able to say that.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 12:14:07 »
i like where your going with this. would be really fun to have it plug in like an SNES cartage vertically.

and make it an SNES emulator.  :)) :thumb:
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case