Author Topic: New to GeekHack, not so new to keyboards.  (Read 1461 times)

Offline kyyul

New to GeekHack, not so new to keyboards.
« on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 00:38:03 »
Hello Keyboard Community!

My name is Kyle and I'm a keyboard-aholic. I live in Sacramento CA but I grew up in Utah. I'm a long time member of the /r/mk subreddit, but have recently expanded my attention to include GeekHack, so hello! I've been clacking away on mechanical keyboards for a while now, almost 5 years. I have a pretty modest collection. My first board was a BlackWidow. It's a sweet 2012 model with MX Blues and blue LED's to boot. It still works amazing and has yet to let me down! My other boards include Poseidon Z (MX Browns), Ducky Shine 4 (MX Blues), Pok3r (MX Green), and an IBM Model M.

Currently I am turning my head towards building a keyboard from the ground up. I have come here for help and more information concerning this matter.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all, and great to be part of this ever expanding keyboard community. See you out on the forums.

Cheers,
Kyle

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: New to GeekHack, not so new to keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 04:23:17 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's a good variety of keyboards and switches you've tried.  Which one if your favourite switch?

Have you tried a Topre keyboard yet?  That seems to be a significant omission from your list ;)

Have a look through the making stuff together section, where you will find all manner of build logs, soldering tips, questions and other information on building keyboards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kyyul

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:54:25 »
I have tried topre. I recently attended a /r/mk meet up in San Fran, which I got my fingertips on SO MANY KEYBOARDS. I got a feel for everything. I think my favorite switch is MX Green. I love the click and clack of it, and having it be the heavier weight, typing on it feels significant. Someday I'll get a topre keyboard, but I want some zealios switches first, as they impressed me the most at the meet.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 22:31:34 »
I have tried topre. I recently attended a /r/mk meet up in San Fran, which I got my fingertips on SO MANY KEYBOARDS. I got a feel for everything. I think my favorite switch is MX Green. I love the click and clack of it, and having it be the heavier weight, typing on it feels significant. Someday I'll get a topre keyboard, but I want some zealios switches first, as they impressed me the most at the meet.

I like greens, but they are too loud for work and so my one board with greens only gets occasional weekend use at home (weekends, when I'm less likely to wake everyone else up late at night or early in the morning).  Like this SSK I'm using now :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ