Author Topic: Realforce Silent 104U's with 4 PBT Spacebars on Massdrop  (Read 7864 times)

Offline 1391406

Realforce Silent 104U's with 4 PBT Spacebars on Massdrop
« on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 15:59:04 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Realforce Silent 104U's with 4 PBT Spacebars on Massdrop
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 16:00:13 »
I'm staring to dislike mass drop even more. They gotta stop with the bundles.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 16:13:51 »

I don't have a problem with this bundle at all. If you're buying a 104U, bundling a PBT spacebar is very apropos. I have a problem when they bundle a keyboard with something like earbuds, though.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 16:49:00 »
If this were not a variable weight...I'd strongly consider. Oh well :(

I don't have a problem with this bundle at all. If you're buying a 104U, bundling a PBT spacebar is very apropos. I have a problem when they bundle a keyboard with something like earbuds, though.

HAH! Yeah I saw that particular drop...how nice to not hear the new KB you just bought  :thumb:

:rolleyes:

Offline 1391406

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 16:53:32 »
If this were not a variable weight...I'd strongly consider. Oh well :(

HAH! Yeah I saw that particular drop...how nice to not hear the new KB you just bought  :thumb:

:rolleyes:

I actually bought one from the last time they dropped the 104U with PBT spacebars and they're awesome.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:00:05 »
Just started looking into this hobby (my wife will hate me), and I'm tempted to get this.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:10:18 »
$280 plus shipping is supposed to be a deal, even on this? Or is Massdrop insisting on showing me Canadian prices? What price are the rest of you seeing?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:18:10 »
Just started looking into this hobby (my wife will hate me), and I'm tempted to get this.

If I could go back, I would've started with that keyboard, but I also think I appreciate it more having used a number of other boards beforehand as it gives me reference point. Otherwise, I might not have understood what all the fuss is about. However, if you start with the best, a lot of other mechanical boards will feel inferior.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:21:07 »
$280 plus shipping is supposed to be a deal, even on this? Or is Massdrop insisting on showing me Canadian prices? What price are the rest of you seeing?

I see the same price with free shipping. I think it's a good deal because Elite Keyboards wants $275.00 plus shipping and doesn't include a PBT spacebar much less 4 of them.

Offline ileben

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:25:24 »
Well, it's either:

A) They have a big leftover stock of PBT spacebars from Matteo's drop that they have to burn through
B) This bundle just sells well enough that the PBT spacebars are now kept in ongoing production

Haven't been paying attention to the numbers on these drops (which seem to keep coming back every few weeks) to be able to form an opinion. Maybe just the fact that the drop comes up so often means it's B. Or maybe they just really really wanna get rid of the leftover stock haha. Who knows. Matteo probably :P
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:36:01 »
Don't they have to bundle them with random stuff since they can't gp lower than Elitekeyboards? I thought EK had some deal where they're the exclusive seller, and Massdrop, since they're not selling Realforces by themselves, is selling them as bundles and not at lower prices.

Plus, the bundles are still at the same price of EK's stuff, so you're getting the bundled crap for free with free CONUS shipping.

I could be talking out of my ass, though.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 18:54:29 »
Don't they have to bundle them with random stuff since they can't gp lower than Elitekeyboards? I thought EK had some deal where they're the exclusive seller, and Massdrop, since they're not selling Realforces by themselves, is selling them as bundles and not at lower prices.

Plus, the bundles are still at the same price of EK's stuff, so you're getting the bundled crap for free with free CONUS shipping.

I could be talking out of my ass, though.
I think you are on the right track.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 19:37:41 »

No one should be groaning about this drop. EK's Topre PBT spacebars aren't expensive, but they don't sell them in any color except black. If you want one in white you're SOL. Maybe you're not saving $40 or $50 bucks compared to EK, but considering they're bundling something that's actually relevant to the product and including them in multiple colors is pretty cool. Further, EK is out of stock, so the timing for this drop is good. Free shipping doesn't hurt, either.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 19:51:47 »

No one should be groaning about this drop. EK's Topre PBT spacebars aren't expensive, but they don't sell them in any color except black. If you want one in white you're SOL. Maybe you're not saving $40 or $50 bucks compared to EK, but considering they're bundling something that's actually relevant to the product and including them in multiple colors is pretty cool. Further, EK is out of stock, so the timing for this drop is good. Free shipping doesn't hurt, either.

Aren't EK's space bars ABS?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 20:28:45 »

Yes.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 20:40:01 »

Yes.

One more reason this bundle is worthwhile.

Offline ileben

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 17:42:21 »

Don't get me wrong, I definitely was not groaning above, was just point out my theories :) this drop is still very much great, and the PBT spacebars are awesome (I use Matteos spacebars on all my topres now). I highly encourage anyone to jump in.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline keyjay

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 01:33:01 »
I read the reason RF uses ABS spacebars is that PBT shrinks. But I also read elsewhere that the shrinkage is finished very soon after coming out of the mold. Has me curious. Why would RF ship to EK with ABS spacabars if that wasn't an issue? And if it is an issue, how good is it to use a PBT spacebar?

Offline 1391406

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 12:21:15 »
I read the reason RF uses ABS spacebars is that PBT shrinks. But I also read elsewhere that the shrinkage is finished very soon after coming out of the mold. Has me curious. Why would RF ship to EK with ABS spacabars if that wasn't an issue? And if it is an issue, how good is it to use a PBT spacebar?

It's not an issue. As far as I know, IBM Model M spacebars are made of PBT and many of those keyboards have been around for 35+ years. Realforce probably doesn't mass produce them because larger keys (a la spacebars) made of PBT are simply more difficult to manufacture than ABS.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 March 2016, 14:37:07 by 1391406 »

Offline keyjay

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 13:37:10 »

It's not an issue. As far as I know, IBM Model M spacebars are made of PBT and many of those keyboards have been around for 35+ years. Realforce probably doesn't mass produce them because larger keys (a la spacebars) made of PBT are simply more difficult to manufacture than ABS.

I also read recently that the reason Topre uses ABS spacebars is that PBT "warps" over time. I can't imagine any third-party PBT spacebars being better made than what Topre could make and decided they can't make good enough to put on their product.

And I'm very curious about how much of the three considerations are affected by it being PBT vs ABS: shine doesn't bother me (I can replace it with another Topre ABS spacebar); feel doesn't seem like a major issue (I've been hitting ABS spacebars on my Browns boards for years with no issues); and the only remaining issue for me -- which DOES matter to me -- is whether a PBT spacebar on a "Silenced" RF 104U is going to be "quieter" than an ABS spacebar.

Anyone have any experience with that latter question?

Thanks!

Offline 1391406

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:46:53 »

I also read recently that the reason Topre uses ABS spacebars is that PBT "warps" over time. I can't imagine any third-party PBT spacebars being better made than what Topre could make and decided they can't make good enough to put on their product.

And I'm very curious about how much of the three considerations are affected by it being PBT vs ABS: shine doesn't bother me (I can replace it with another Topre ABS spacebar); feel doesn't seem like a major issue (I've been hitting ABS spacebars on my Browns boards for years with no issues); and the only remaining issue for me -- which DOES matter to me -- is whether a PBT spacebar on a "Silenced" RF 104U is going to be "quieter" than an ABS spacebar.

I have the four Topre PBT spacebars that came with the 104U Silent from Massdrop last time around and they're quieter than the ABS spacebar due to reduced rattle, but the standard ABS spacebar that comes with the Realforce isn't loud, in my opinion. That said, having heard the Ducky over the phone for yourself you should have some frame of reference as to how loud the PBT variety is.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 23:51:49 by 1391406 »

Offline keyjay

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 13:11:53 »

I have the four Topre PBT spacebars that came with the 104U Silent from Massdrop last time around and they're quieter than the ABS spacebar due to reduced rattle, but the standard ABS spacebar that comes with the Realforce isn't loud, in my opinion. That said, having heard the Ducky over the phone for yourself you should have some frame of reference as to how loud the PBT variety is.

That's very interesting to me. Since my whole reason for compromising on my unequivocal preference for Browns over all other switches I've tried to date (which have been a lot) is for the sound reduction, since the spacebar is usually the loudest key on mechanical keyboards, and since I hit the spacebar pretty hard when I'm typing fast, any additional sound reduction achieved by going to a PBT spacebar is worth my pursuing.

So, if I buy the RF 104U Silenced boards from EK (missed the current Massdrop drop, and will want to get more right away once I see how I like the feel of it and if I can use the black-on-black), how can I get PBT spacebars for them elsewhere? (Looks like it's not possible to get PBT spacebars to match the colors of either the black or white RF 104U Silenced boards -- I'll just have to live with that.)

If there's no other choice, I might even be willing to Matias boards just for the PBT spacebars, to put them on the RF boards, if it turns out it reduces the sound enough to matter to people I'm on the phone with so they don't notice that I'm typing as we talk.

I think I at least need to get my hands on one PBT spacebar to try it and do a comparison test with callers on the phone giving me their feedback.

Anyone with an extra one, perhaps, from a Massdrop bundle, please PM me if you're willing to sell me one. Either way, though, assuming I determine it's desirable to go with PBT, I'm going to need a place to get more of them.

Thanks so much!

So, what are my options here?

Offline 1391406

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 10:30:56 »
So, if I buy the RF 104U Silenced boards from EK (missed the current Massdrop drop, and will want to get more right away once I see how I like the feel of it and if I can use the black-on-black), how can I get PBT spacebars for them elsewhere?

1) Find someone with a spare
2) Wait for Massdrop to drop the Topre PBT spacebars
3) Wait for Massdrop to drop another round of 104U's

If there's no other choice, I might even be willing to Matias boards just for the PBT spacebars, to put them on the RF boards

Matias uses Alps switches, thus a Matias spacebar isn't compatible with Topre.

You might find the ABS spacebar sufficiently quiet, however.

Offline keyjay

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 01:31:22 »
My point of reference in having heard the Ducky over the phone (when the guy at Mechanical Keyboards typed on it for me) only pertains to how it compares to how loud the Browns are that he typed on at the same time. I have no idea how much quieter the PBT spacebar on a RF 104U Silenced will be as compared to the stock ABS spacebar. This is something that's important to me to pursue further.

So, uh, anyone have a spare PBT spacebar from a prior Massdrop drop they can sell me? Or two? If so, please PM me.

Thanks.