Author Topic: Looking to find a mx-clear full keyboard  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Duolasa

Looking to find a mx-clear full keyboard
« on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 16:36:54 »
Hey everyone, I've been having some difficulty finding a full keyboard with cherry mx-clear switches in Europe. I was thinking maybe I could get some help here.

Currently I own a SteelSeries 6gv2 (my first mechanical) but I'm not really enjoying it very much as I don't enjoy the linear feel of the keys.
Meanwhile I had a chance to test all cherry switches and a topre one and I quite liked the feel of the mx clear. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck with finding a keyboard with them.

Currently the only thing I can find is the CODE 104 ANSI.
Are there currently any other options I'm not finding?

I already noticed the full layout is not very popular except on cheaper membrane keyboards, why is that?
If I can't find any decent options in full I was thinking of maybe going with tenkeyless but I'm afraid I won't get used to it as I have used full keyboards all my life.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Looking to find a mx-clear full keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 23:30:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

CODE is definitely one option.

Shipping to Europe, are you looking for ANSI or an ISO variant?

WASD have both:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-104-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-105-key-iso-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

You could get a a TKL keyboard, and a separate numpad (not sure if you'd be able to get a numpad with clears though).

The only two things I miss from a full size keyboard are typing IP addresses, and being able to tap the numpad Enter with my hand still on the mouse.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Duolasa

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 07:43:00 »
I'm tending more towards ISO.

CODE 104 ISO doesn't seem to be available with mx-clears. But TKS does.
If I went TKS would I be able to find some more options?
If so what are some possibilities?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 10:54:39 »
I see a bunch of ANSI 104 options for Cherry Mx Clear switches - Ducky Shine 2,4, Ducky G2 Pro, Deck Legend. Ergo clear modded ISO?  :-[
Chris Schammert

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 11:05:19 »
The WASD v2 can be had in ISO full with clears, they're just out of stock temporarily. Same thing happened when I was shopping for my keyboard, but they restocked the switches just a few days later. If that's a good fit for what you need, I'd just keep an eye on the page and pounce once the clears are available. You can also send them a note asking about it and they might give you an ETA.

Offline kekman

• quit life
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 16:49:44 »
How is the quality on WASD keyboards and their customer support? I'm in Australia so I don't see them around alot.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 17:05:21 »
Ducky One?

Offline Duolasa

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 09:40:57 »
I want to avoid ordering from outside of the EU.

The only full or TKL with MX-Clears I can find in Europe is the WASD v2 and Ducky Shine 5. Both in ANSI.
Which of the two is better? They cost around the same.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 March 2016, 09:43:58 by Duolasa »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 12:18:21 »
I'm in this same boat. I have been looking for a quiet, tactile, medium/heavy spring (MX-Clear) 104 or 87 (full or tkl) keyboard for work (left out on desk) thats not expensive. Lets say <$100.
-Dana

Offline zombiegristle

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 10:03:13 »
How is the quality on WASD keyboards and their customer support? I'm in Australia so I don't see them around alot.

I don't have a lot of experience with different makes to compare to, someone else will have to chime in on that. I can say that my V2 is far and away superior to the Rosewill Apollo I was using before, and I prefer it to all the Razer and Corsair keyboards I've played with. My experience with their (WASD) support has always been excellent and they're my go-to recommendation for people who want a good non-gaming-focused mechanical keyboard but aren't "keyboard enthusiasts".

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 12:30:25 »
I think you could find some Cherry full-size keyboard on ebay with MX-Clears and decent price (mostly <100€). They offer ISO layouts too.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 12:41:20 »
I think you could find some Cherry full-size keyboard on ebay with MX-Clears and decent price (mostly <100€). They offer ISO layouts too.

I've got an ebay automated search for MX clear keyboards and I have yet to find any full sized. I do find the cherry branded boards with the track pad for point of sale devices. Those are ok i guess but i just want a plain old subtle 104 for work.
-Dana

Offline seville57

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 14:21:28 »
I'm tending more towards ISO.

CODE 104 ISO doesn't seem to be available with mx-clears. But TKS does.
If I went TKS would I be able to find some more options?
If so what are some possibilities?

ISO/Nordic/UK/Germany and more have 105 or 109 (like Ducky Shine ISO/UK 2/3/4/5 RGB/Ducky One/RGB YOTG) keys, full k-boards.

ANSI have 104 or 108 (like ANSI/US Ducky Shine 2/3/4/5 RGB/Ducky One/RGB YOTG) keys, full k-boards.

There is a Code 105 ISO/Nordic - Swedish layout with Clears

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-105-key-swe-mechanical-keyboard.html

You can change the Nordic/Swedish keycaps set to a UK keycaps set.

If ISO/UK is what you want.

Or just buy the Code 105 UK k-board.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-105-key-uk-mechanical-keyboard.html

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard/code-105-key-ger-mechanical-keyboard.html

I have a Ducky Shine 3 ISO/UK but I change to a ISO/Nordic/Swedish keycaps set.

EDIT: Both k-boards are out of stock.       
         German in stock.

My ANSI Ducky One RGB YOTG (108 keys) and my ISO/Nordic Ducky Shine 3 (109 keys) boards.

EDIT 2: If you're thinkin of change the keycaps on the k-board to a another keycaps set, buy a ANSI k-board.

You don't find so many good lookin ISO keycaps sets.
Here in Sweden we have 1 shop that sell ISO/Nordic keycaps sets, that's why I'm usin ANSI k-boards, I have some Ducky Shine 2/3 ISO/Nordic + 1 ISO/UK full 109 k-boards but I never use them now.

One problem with full 108 k-boards are that many keycaps sets are only 104 sets.

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 17:32:44 by seville57 »

Offline steelcity

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 11:40:19 »
I was in the same boat.  I really like my Leopold FC900 boards with Navy keycaps.  I am planning on swapping the switches on them to purple Zealios.  I am going to do one board with 65 G and one with 67 G. 

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:23:50 »
How about a 149% layout? 8)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 14:09:01 »
HA!
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 14:33:13 »
That left shift button  :'(
Chris Schammert

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 16:20:51 »
That left shift button  :'(
Behold its ISO glory!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline miyari

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 17:51:00 »

The only full or TKL with MX-Clears I can find in Europe is the WASD v2 and Ducky Shine 5. Both in ANSI.

I'd totally go with the Ducky Shine 5. I actually upgraded from a WASD v2 directly to the Shine 5 and I'd never go back. I felt like the WASD (especially for the price) felt "cheaper," and the stock backlit keycaps are total garbage and will wear insanely fast (if you're not planning to replace them out of the box). I also had multiple LED issues out of the box with them (I've bought multiple) though to their credit they were fairly quick to resolve the issues. The biggest problem I had with the WASD was its two-part body that felt "springy" to me (hard to describe). If you applied enough pressure (and not a whole lot), it was audible, and not just from the switches or anything like that. The Shine 5 has nice feeling (and nicely coated) solid body and the best lil' stubbly legs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2016, 17:54:36 by miyari »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 18:06:10 »

Customer support is stellar from my experience build quality is solid but below that of their main competitor KUL imo.  I owned and reviewed the WASD CODE on my Youtube channel it was a fairly solid board however had some minor quirks (not all of which i can recall offhand)

Suffered from more ping than most boards with MX Clears i have used or owned
Board had a little bit of flex to it not present in the KUL 87 ES i compared it to

Customer support was a high note though with fast responding staff a more than fair warranty and over willingness to respond to any questions asked (and believe me i asked a LOT when i did my review)
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline seville57

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 18:55:17 »

I'd totally go with the Ducky Shine 5. I actually upgraded from a WASD v2 directly to the Shine 5 and I'd never go back. I felt like the WASD (especially for the price) felt "cheaper," and the stock backlit keycaps are total garbage and will wear insanely fast (if you're not planning to replace them out of the box). I also had multiple LED issues out of the box with them (I've bought multiple) though to their credit they were fairly quick to resolve the issues. The biggest problem I had with the WASD was its two-part body that felt "springy" to me (hard to describe). If you applied enough pressure (and not a whole lot), it was audible, and not just from the switches or anything like that. The Shine 5 has nice feeling (and nicely coated) solid body and the best lil' stubbly legs.

Yeah, my white ISO/Nordic Ducky Shine 2 are still workin and all white LEDs are also still workin.

The only thing I don't like with the Shine 5 RGB k-boards are the "Bigfoot" legs :mad:

I have 2 ANSI Ducky Shine 4 "Bigfoot" :'(