Author Topic: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread  (Read 72669 times)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread
« on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 11:42:31 »

Welcome to the Forge!

---------------------------------------------

Artisan Sale Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82389.0

This thread is the place for updates and news regarding upcoming sales, sweet sweet inside info, and help for those getting started with resin casting.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have! I want to help people getting started with casting and sculpting, so ask away!

More

Hey everyone! I've been a long time lurker on this site, and a few months ago I got pretty excited about making some of my own keycaps. I figured I would document my progress so that others can benefit from my mistakes. I've scoured this site and made a big compilation of notes from all the other images and tips that I've seen on this site, so a big thanks goes to you guys for the help and support.

A few weeks back, I started experimenting with some OOMOO silicone and clear resin. My first attempts weren't too bad, and I was able to replicate some stock topre keycaps with a little internal bubbling and an intact stem. After understanding the basic molding and casting process, I decided to get some sculpting materials so that I could start trying to make some designs of my own before attempting to cast anything.

First off...sculpting on keycaps is incredibly difficult. I've been sculpting for a while, but it's an entirely different game when you're trying to make sculpts on such a small scale. I set some rules for myself, like not building more than a few centimeters in height, and keeping a relatively smooth or flat top so that pressing the keycap is still satisfying.

The first attempts at sculpting on a keycap went like this:
130664-0

"Beardly" was a hideous monster, and I had to destroy him in the end. I was using some regular Sculpey, which is quite soft and not great for fine detail. All of my designs were too soft and lumpy, and I felt like I hardly had any control. I then decided to go out and get some Super Sculpey Firm, which I like quite a bit better. The results are good, but I still feel that the clay is soft for this fine of detail. It's difficult to smooth out tool marks when things are so small. However, it's much better than regular Sculpey for this kind of stuff.

My next idea was a "Legends of the Hidden Temple" kind of feel, but it wasn't progressing how I wanted, and I became frustrated and scrapped it.
130666-1

I decided to sculpt my own take on the good ol' fashioned skull as a test, which came out like this:
130668-2

However, the tool marks were pretty rough and I decided that it just didn't look quite right. I scrapped the eye patch idea, and decided to just get some practice smoothing things out and playing with the clay a little. The result was acceptable, but not what I was originally going for. I started to realize how difficult it is getting your ideas to translate to such a small surface. I decided to call him "Mulder" for a laugh (X-Files). I baked him (low temperature did not melt the keycap), and put him on my work keyboard for a day so I could feel it and decide how to proceed.
130670-3

I took a couple of days off, and decided to try to come up with something a little different. I decided that I wanted to keep my relatively low-profile rule, but I wanted to also expand around the sides of the keycap a little. I tried messing around with texture, and ended up deciding to sculpt a small sabertooth/lion head. I really liked the way it turned out, but there are definitely some imperfections and issues with proportions. He was dubbed "Saber" (super original, I know) and put to the side for a few days. I like to push myself hard in one or two sessions, and then put it aside and come back with fresh eyes to spot any imperfections that I might have missed before. I do the same with my cartooning.
130672-4
130674-5

I decided yesterday that I want to try my hand with some epoxy, so I ordered some kneadatite and dental tools. Hopefully I can get some finer detail and more control while using that. I'll update you guys once I start using it. I also decided to expand and order a vacuum chamber, pump, and a bunch of silicone and resin. I'm going to experiment with more complicated casts in the next week. Also, I'm starting to realize that I'm almost out of keycaps. Do you other Makers just order a keycap set and sculpt on extra keys? or do you cast new keycaps and then sculpt on those?

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 May 2017, 10:26:39 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: Sneaky Potato's Keycap Forge (plus Bar & Grill)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 11:58:37 »
(1) Looking good man.  Looks like you have some great sculpting skills already.  Seems to me like each of your trials along the way are getting progressively better.

(2) I recommend a pressure tank over a vacuum chamber, if you have to choose.

(3) I'm interested in hearing how your venture into epoxy work turns out.

(4) As for sculpting bases, I have an old set of Vortex caps I use, but ordering new ones is probably worth it.  If you want to sculpt with Sculpey or another bake-set clay, make sure your base cap is PBT because ABS will melt even at low temperatures.   Also, consider using a lower profile cap as your base so that the addition of sculpting material doesn't make it super tall or wide.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 12:03:30 by Bambino »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 12:11:58 »
(1) Looking good man.  Looks like you have some great sculpting skills already.  Seems to me like each of your trials along the way are getting progressively better.

(4) As for sculpting bases, I have an old set of Vortex caps I use, but ordering new ones is probably worth it.  If you want to sculpt with Sculpey or another bake-set clay, make sure your base cap is PBT because ABS will melt even at low temperatures.   Also, consider using a lower profile cap as your base so that the addition of sculpting material doesn't make it super tall or wide.

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you. Any reason why you recommend pressure over vacuum? I've heard both, so I'm confused.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 12:25:59 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 12:36:29 »
I think you should definitely wait for the $ynth.

You have great skills but limited to sculpting on top of a cap.

With the $ynth you will be able to get a much lower profile so that it looks more natural and less bulky on the keyboard.

On top of that you wont have to worry about the stem or filling the bottom with clay for thickness.

All you will have to do is let the creativity flow.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 13:02:00 »
The $ynth looks amazing, I will definitely be experimenting with it once it comes out.

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:22:53 »

With the $ynth you will be able to get a much lower profile so that it looks more natural and less bulky on the keyboard.

On top of that you wont have to worry about the stem or filling the bottom with clay for thickness.

The $ynth just got delayed though :/

Just like I said on Reddit, great job with the caps! I especially like the Saber, that scar over the eye looks really badass! :D

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:26:49 »

The $ynth just got delayed though :/

Just like I said on Reddit, great job with the caps! I especially like the Saber, that scar over the eye looks really badass! :D

Thanks for the kind words! Stuff like that gets me excited to come up with other designs. Maybe I'll try to sculpt one or two more caps that are related, and make it a themed set.

I'll have to keep watching the progress on $ynth and see what happens.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:26:58 »

Thanks! Means a lot coming from you. Any reason why you recommend pressure over vacuum? I've heard both, so I'm confused.

Pressure is more effective for preventing voids in your keycaps. Pouring vacuumed resin can still introduce bubbles into your mold in the pouring process, but pressure crushes them within the mold even after pouring. Ideally you use both for extra confidence, but in my experience pressure is more important. Also, pressure casting allows you to use faster-curing resins if you so choose.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:31:59 »

Pressure is more effective for preventing voids in your keycaps. Pouring vacuumed resin can still introduce bubbles into your mold in the pouring process, but pressure crushes them within the mold even after pouring. Ideally you use both for extra confidence, but in my experience pressure is more important. Also, pressure casting allows you to use faster-curing resins if you so choose.

Makes sense. Well the vacuum arrived this afternoon, so I'll try a couple of casts with it this weekend and if it's not satisfactory, I'll return it and order a pressure setup instead. Maybe I'll just keep both. Any tips on what pressure pot and compressor to get? I live in a condo, but I have a pretty large garage. However, my biggest worry is that the compressor is going to be super loud for hours while my molds and casts cure.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
Re: Sneaky Potato's KeyForge (plus Bar & Grill)
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:34:08 »

Makes sense. Well the vacuum arrived this afternoon, so I'll try a couple of casts with it this weekend and if it's not satisfactory, I'll return it and order a pressure setup instead. Maybe I'll just keep both. Any tips on what pressure pot and compressor to get? I live in a condo, but I have a pretty large garage. However, my biggest worry is that the compressor is going to be super loud for hours while my molds and casts cure.
Find a quiet one. Mine's fine to use indoors. Also the compressor doesn't need to be on except while you fill the tank for ~60 sec. or less. 

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:58:22 »

Find a quiet one. Mine's fine to use indoors. Also the compressor doesn't need to be on except while you fill the tank for ~60 sec. or less. 

Any tips on a good pressure pot?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 16:00:27 »
Search for one by Grizzly. Been good to me, but you'll have to make some modifications.

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 06:57:20 »
That Saber is looking mighty fine. Looking forward to see your casts & progress.
(and I hope the will be an MX version)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:47:56 »

Small update!

Bambino got me staying up late and thinking about my setup, so I went ahead and picked up a pressure pot, compressor, and a few new tools to pair with my new vacuum chamber this morning. I've gotten some pretty good feedback about the Saber cap, so I'm going to start testing with the new equipment this weekend and see what happens. I'm trying to get the sculpt perfect before I cross the point of no return, and I've got a little more work to do before I feel it's ready. I'll probably finish up the fine details tonight and get it ready for casting tomorrow. Now all I need is a work bench...

I haven't been happy with the results of my standard wooden sculpting tools, so I picked up some rubber-tipped shaper tools and some dental picks and carvers. The carvers have been excellent for achieving finer detail in my sculpts, and the rubber tipped tools are amazing for smoothing out the tiny tool marks that seem to be prevalent in my sculpting. I also bought a set of magnifying glasses that dentists wear around their head in order to see things closer. It's pretty helpful, but I look like a complete mad scientist while wearing it. Actually...I look like a mad dentist.  :o

130769-0

130771-1

I don't really need to use all of these tools, but it's nice to have options.

I really recommend the rubber shaper tools to anyone that is in sculpting. They're really, really useful. The glasses are really helpful, especially for cleaning up jagged edges. It also helps me see any spots that I need to smooth over. I've also found that it's easier to keep my hands steady when I can see the sculpt a little closer.

I'll get you guys an update on my process this weekend, and hopefully we see some great results! I'll post pictures of my work area once I get it set up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:52:57 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:51:26 »
Good luck with your new equipment.
Love how cap makers help each other out here :)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 15:57:36 »

Thanks! I got interested in this stuff because I saw other makers giving small tutorials, which pointed me in the right direction. Hoping that once I get more info on here, it will do the same for others.

That Saber is looking mighty fine. Looking forward to see your casts & progress.

Glad you like it! One of my goals next week is to get an MX version in the works!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:08:20 »
Wow very cool!  Looks like you have great sculpting skills.

Would you mind posting what vac setup and pressure pot you ended up with?  I'm always interested in what people are using.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:09:23 »

Thanks! I got interested in this stuff because I saw other makers giving small tutorials, which pointed me in the right direction. Hoping that once I get more info on here, it will do the same for others.

Glad you like it! One of my goals next week is to get an MX version in the works!
Cool! When I will have some more time and money I want to start making some of my own as well :)

Whatever happens just remember to have fun!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:20:55 »

Would you mind posting what vac setup and pressure pot you ended up with?  I'm always interested in what people are using.

I got a lot of help from some other geekhack artisan creators, who recommended a variety of equipment. Right now I'm using the following:

Vacuum Chamber: 1.5 Gallon Tall Stainless Steel Chamber (BestValueVacs)
Vacuum Pump: FJC 6912 Vacuum Pump 5.0 Cfm

Pressure Pot: Modified Harbor Freight Paint Tank (I turned it into a suitable pressure pot. I'll be testing with this and if I like it, I will move to a nicer pot)
Compressor: Small 3 gallon generic compressor

I don't claim to be using the best equipment, but it's suitable for the job. If I'm unhappy with the results of my current setup, I'll pick up some new stuff as I need it.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:23:54 »

I got a lot of help from some other geekhack artisan creators, who recommended a variety of equipment. Right now I'm using the following:

Pressure Pot: Modified Harbor Freight Paint Tank (I turned it into a suitable pressure pot. I'll be testing with this and if I like it, I will move to a nicer pot)

I don't claim to be using the best equipment, but it's suitable for the job. If I'm unhappy with the results of my current setup, I'll pick up some new stuff as I need it.

Cool, thank you so much for sharing. Is your vac hitting a full -30?
I'm back.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 16:30:45 »

Cool, thank you so much for sharing. Is your vac hitting a full -30?

It does! Takes a solid minute to get there, but it's not like I'm using a fast-curing silicone.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:33:34 »
MASSIVE UPDATE!

It's been a long and exhausting weekend, but I can finally say that I've got some great results to share with you guys. I'll give you a sneak peek real quick of Saber 1.0:

131051-0

Pretty sweet, right? I'll give you guys a quick rundown of the process and some of the issues I ran into. I'll post a more thorough guide once I get the process down to a science.

I spent last week planning and taking notes on the process, and the new equipment. I have a journal and I've been keeping notes of each of my casting sessions, which has helped me greatly with my error margin. This was my incomplete first page, but I will release some more of my notes to you guys for reference pretty soon.

131053-1

I ran into some initial issues with the equipment that I was working with. First, my air compressor was complete crap and leaked like crazy. I couldn't get my pressure pot even close to 45 psi. I ended up returning it the next day and buying a much nicer one at Home Depot. It ran much, much quieter and didn't leak at all. Next, I found that the psi gauge on my pot did not function at all, so I sped to Home Depot to buy a new pressure gauge (got there about five minutes before they closed). After installing the gauge, it worked without an issue. Armed with my new air compressor, I then found that my pressure pot would not hold a steady pressure for more than an hour, which sent me back to Home Depot for some higher-quality thread tape and some pipe dope. The combination of the two stopped all leaks, and my pot was able to hold a consistent pressure.

My vacuum chamber was able to pull the right amount of vacuum to degass my silicone and resin. I'm really happy with the setup.

Here was my first workspace, which was basically an old coffee table with plastic over the top. I was still putting together the pressure gauge and other parts, so the pressure pot is a bit bare.

131055-2

After killing my back because the coffee table was so low to the ground, I upgraded my workspace a bit:

131057-3

Having a large workspace really helps when you're trying to mix up silicone, or multiple colors of resin. Now, lets move onto the actual casting process.

Per my original design, I decided to try to make a mold box that would produce a clean silicone mold. I figured I wasn't skimping on other things, so I might as well try to make my mold the best I possibly could with the limited tools that I had. First, I bought some hard foam board, a sheet of soft foam, and a hot glue gun. Due to the fact that the topre stem is longer than the keycap itself, I had to make a base that would let the keycap sit flat on the surface. I tinkered with a few ideas, and made my first mold. I scrapped it before testing it, as I didn't like the idea of tearing my mold apart each time and then trying to build it back up.

131059-4

I opted for a large piece of PVC pipe, which I cut and then used it for the walls of the mold box. It releases the mold easily, and can be used over and over again. The mold had almost no leakage, but I secured it to the base with some Super Sculpey. Then, I stacked the second half of the mold on top, added some stems for vents, and poured the second half of the mold.

131061-5

131063-6

I didn't take any pictures of the resin process, but I'll update you guys on that soon. Here are some finished keycaps, and some attempts at colors.

131065-7

131067-8

131069-9

131071-10

I had a great time making these, and I'm extremely satisfied with my casts. Saber 1.0 and Mulder 1.0 have been a great success. No bubbling, and the stems came out perfect (which I was really worried about). I'm going to be coming up with some additional ideas for sculpting, and then I'll update you guys in a day or two on my progress. Thanks for taking a look!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:35:19 »
MASSIVE UPDATE!

It's been a long and exhausting weekend, but I can finally say that I've got some great results to share with you guys. I'll give you a sneak peek real quick of Saber 1.0:

(Attachment Link)

Pretty sweet, right? I'll give you guys a quick rundown of the process and some of the issues I ran into. I'll post a more thorough guide once I get the process down to a science.

I spent last week planning and taking notes on the process, and the new equipment. I have a journal and I've been keeping notes of each of my casting sessions, which has helped me greatly with my error margin. This was my incomplete first page, but I will release some more of my notes to you guys for reference pretty soon.

(Attachment Link)

I ran into some initial issues with the equipment that I was working with. First, my air compressor was complete crap and leaked like crazy. I couldn't get my pressure pot even close to 45 psi. I ended up returning it the next day and buying a much nicer one at Home Depot. It ran much, much quieter and didn't leak at all. Next, I found that the psi gauge on my pot did not function at all, so I sped to Home Depot to buy a new pressure gauge (got there about five minutes before they closed). After installing the gauge, it worked without an issue. Armed with my new air compressor, I then found that my pressure pot would not hold a steady pressure for more than an hour, which sent me back to Home Depot for some higher-quality thread tape and some pipe dope. The combination of the two stopped all leaks, and my pot was able to hold a consistent pressure.

My vacuum chamber was able to pull the right amount of vacuum to degass my silicone and resin. I'm really happy with the setup.

Here was my first workspace, which was basically an old coffee table with plastic over the top. I was still putting together the pressure gauge and other parts, so the pressure pot is a bit bare.

(Attachment Link)

After killing my back because the coffee table was so low to the ground, I upgraded my workspace a bit:

(Attachment Link)

Having a large workspace really helps when you're trying to mix up silicone, or multiple colors of resin. Now, lets move onto the actual casting process.

Per my original design, I decided to try to make a mold box that would produce a clean silicone mold. I figured I wasn't skimping on other things, so I might as well try to make my mold the best I possibly could with the limited tools that I had. First, I bought some hard foam board, a sheet of soft foam, and a hot glue gun. Due to the fact that the topre stem is longer than the keycap itself, I had to make a base that would let the keycap sit flat on the surface. I tinkered with a few ideas, and made my first mold. I scrapped it before testing it, as I didn't like the idea of tearing my mold apart each time and then trying to build it back up.

(Attachment Link)

I opted for a large piece of PVC pipe, which I cut and then used it for the walls of the mold box. It releases the mold easily, and can be used over and over again. The mold had almost no leakage, but I secured it to the base with some Super Sculpey. Then, I stacked the second half of the mold on top, added some stems for vents, and poured the second half of the mold.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I didn't take any pictures of the resin process, but I'll update you guys on that soon. Here are some finished keycaps, and some attempts at colors.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I had a great time making these, and I'm extremely satisfied with my casts. Saber 1.0 and Mulder 1.0 have been a great success. No bubbling, and the stems came out perfect (which I was really worried about). I'm going to be coming up with some additional ideas for sculpting, and then I'll update you guys in a day or two on my progress. Thanks for taking a look!
Great looking setup and caps!

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:38:01 »
Good stuff man. Did you have any gates for your stem? Or did you only have the two shown for the entire key cap?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:38:33 »
MASSIVE UPDATE!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

You most def went all in. This is great!

Love the note pad lol. Just your notes is 100% more artistic then anything I can do. Hence I stick to blanks =/

Love the work man. I am excited to see what you make when you get the synth.

Keep it up!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:42:18 »
Good stuff man. Did you have any gates for your stem? Or did you only have the two shown for the entire key cap?

Only the two gates. I thought about having one for the stem, but I was able to make it work by using a small brush and painting release and then resin into the cavities. In a future mold I will most likely add a gate.

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:44:26 »
Interesting process. You could potentially save yourself a lot of time by adding more small gates around the bottom perimeter.  No need to pre-prime the mold with resin or release. Just something you could try.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:52:08 »
Interesting process. You could potentially save yourself a lot of time by adding more small gates around the bottom perimeter.  No need to pre-prime the mold with resin or release. Just something you could try.

Appreciate the advice. I'll try to implement it into my next mold!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:12:48 »
Very nice and detailed process. Are you going to try your hand at other designs? Couldn't help but notice they're eerily similar to other designs already out there.  :thumb:

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 13:18:40 »

Very nice and detailed process. Are you going to try your hand at other designs? Couldn't help but notice they're eerily similar to other designs already out there.  :thumb:

I'll definitely be attempting other designs, however, I don't feel that these keys are copies of anybody else's work. Mostly these keys are test designs to get the process down, and then I will move to entirely different sculpts once I feel comfortable.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 14:43:10 »
RIP Beardy.  My favorite.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 14:44:06 »
RIP Beardy.  My favorite.

He lives on in your heart.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 15:09:41 »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 20:18:06 »
Wow what a great update!  Thank you so much for all the details of your process.

And +1 about that awesome notebook. So much more artistic than anything I could ever do.
I'm back.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 20:26:54 »
Wow what a great update!  Thank you so much for all the details of your process.

And +1 about that awesome notebook. So much more artistic than anything I could ever do.

Thanks for the support! I appreciate it.  The notebook has really helped out my process and not forget things (which I tend to do all the time).

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 02:57:15 »
wow, nice update, really like that you show your whole set-up and that notebook looks amazing.

Do you have any plans for an MX version? Or am I going to have to buy a topre board?

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 09:45:47 »

wow, nice update, really like that you show your whole set-up and that notebook looks amazing.

Do you have any plans for an MX version? Or am I going to have to buy a topre board?

MX version is being developed right now and will be available. But to answer your question...you need to buy a topre board. Just because.

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 09:58:55 »

MX version is being developed right now and will be available. But to answer your question...you need to buy a topre board. Just because.

This is amazing news. Already eagerly awaiting your first sale!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:00:46 »
Got a question that maybe somebody with better artisan skills can answer:

What's the best way to eliminate the keycap altogether, and make my own base to sculpt on? I'm really limited on space because of the fact that I have to work around an existing keycap. Anybody have ideas of how I can free myself from the bondage of the keycap canvas?

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:32:10 »

What's the best way to eliminate the keycap altogether, and make my own base to sculpt on? I'm really limited on space because of the fact that I have to work around an existing keycap. Anybody have ideas of how I can free myself from the bondage of the keycap canvas?

Somebody get this man a :-$ynth already.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:46:04 »

I'm sure I'll pick one up when they release...in the meantime I guess I'll have to design my own shoddily-rigged system  :(

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 17:02:02 »

I'm sure I'll pick one up when they release...in the meantime I guess I'll have to design my own shoddily-rigged system  :(

Check out Eat_the_food's thread on how he does it! Basically, take an existing mold and just re-make just the bottom of it. Then sculpt the cap around this mold. It is basically the same thought as the $ynth. Picture of what I mean:
More

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 17:39:32 »

Check out Eat_the_food's thread on how he does it! Basically, take an existing mold and just re-make just the bottom of it. Then sculpt the cap around this mold. It is basically the same thought as the $ynth. Picture of what I mean:
More
Show Image

You...are amazing. Thank you. Here I was drawing up plans when the easy way is right in front of me.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 17:21:20 »
SMALL UPDATE!

This week I had two goals, and I'm happy to say I'm making great progress. I'm pleased to announce that this weekend we'll be moving to Saber 1.2, which will bring a slimmer side profile, a more accurate mold for replication, as well as the creation of a beta MX mold. The face and general look of the Saber master has been retained, but I've added a few small details and faded the fur on the sides a bit for a better fit. After casting, I might potentially make more changes to the master if I'm unhappy with how it comes out. Photos of the newly-cast Saber will be posted in a couple of days.

Here's a list of my goals, and progress this week.

• Move Saber 1.0 to 1.2
  • Fix Saber Master - slim down sides a bit, ensure better fit all around (COMPLETE)
  • Add more fur detail, especially around neck (COMPLETE)
  • Taper down detail on sides to blend better with cap (COMPLETE)
  • Pour a new mold and move to Saber 1.2 (In Progress)
  • Create MX version of Saber 1.2 (In Progress)
  • Refine silicone and resin process
  • More accurate measurements (COMPLETE)
  • Firmer, less tacky resin and silicone (COMPLETE)
  • Record and reproduce accurate results (COMPLETE)
  • Pour silicone bases to sculpt the next low-profile design (In Progress)
I altered the master to be a better fit on the keyboard, and tapered down the fur on the sides to blend better. I added some fur under the chin and sides, which I feel makes the key look more substantial. I poured a new mold, which will take us to Saber 1.2, and that much closer to a finished product.My next challenge was to refine my casting process as a whole, as my molds were not coming out 100% consistent in terms of color and hardness. I called up Smooth-On, and got some more information. They recommended that I pour OOMOO 30 by weight if I want more consistent results, and they helped me out with ratios for my resins as well. Here's a those ratios, if you're interested.
  • OOMOO 30 Silicone - 100A : 130B
  • Smooth-Cast 300 -    100A : 90B
  • Smooth-Cast 325 -    115A : 100B
After knowing these ratios, I got much, much better results. My first keys had a very slight tackiness to them, and you could actually make small marks if you pushed hard enough with your thumbnail. Now they're much harder, and the silicone that they came from was much more firm. Extremely happy with the results. If any of you are having issues with the above materials, mix them according to the ratios. Even if you're eyeballing it, you will have much better results if you keep the ratios in mind. I was able to pour several successful molds both by weight and by eye that were much better than my previous attempts.

I'm also pleased that I've consistently able to produce working Topre stems and keys without any bubbling or imperfections of any kind. Casting isn't exactly time-consuming if you have a system down, but the preparation and planning is what makes it go smoothly. I haven't wasted a drop of silicone or resin, as each mold and key has taught me something big about the casting process. I've also begun making some silicone bases in order to sculpt my future designs in a much lower profile and a variety of shapes. Big shoutout to Zorberema (making me aware it was a thing) and Eat_the_food (for making the thing).

In closing, I was able to make a ton of headway this week, and MX testing should start next week so that they're up to standard and fit well on a variety of boards.

I will post photos of the completed Saber 1.2 once I get some time to pour resin tomorrow evening. I'm going to further experiment with colors and see how it goes. So far I've been able to create and replicate the following colors, and I've tried my best to match the colors online (Not perfect, but close enough) :

- Blueberry Sour Cream
131377-0

- Pepto Pink
131378-1

- Mint Meringue
131379-2

- Plum Wine
131380-3

Let me know what you think. We're making great strides towards a small Saber sale, so thanks for your continued support! I'll update you guys in a few days!
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 March 2016, 17:49:46 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:26:51 »
SMALL UPDATE!

Over the weekend I started having some trouble with my Harbor Freight pressure pot. :( The outside metal started developing small waves and ridges, almost like stretch marks! It really freaked me out, seeing as how so many people have had explosions and stuff while using the Harbor Freight pot. I decided to retire the pot and order something that was higher quality, simply because I'm pretty fond of my fingers and toes. I ordered a CA Technologies pressure pot today, which is almost five times as expensive as the Harbor Freight pot. However, it's a much, much better quality piece of equipment that I think will be a solid investment.

131797-0

131799-1

The lighting in the pictures really don't do it justice, but the ridges become alarmingly deep while under pressure. The surface was very smooth when I bought it, but not anymore. At first I thought I was crazy, but then I marked the tank and watched as the ridges spread and eventually were around the whole thing. The stress of worrying about the tank exploding is enough to make me go ahead and buy something better instead of just trading it in for a new one.

I'm quite disappointed with the situation, but I suppose you get what you pay for. However, I would still recommend Harbor Freight route for a beginning artisan that is looking to make a few caps on a budget, or test the waters. It seems like the defect that is happening with my pot isn't a common one at all, so it's a safe bet that you probably won't run into that issue if you decide to grab one. I've been casting several times a day in that pot, so it's probably a good idea for me to get something more solid anyway.

This situation will set me back about a week while I wait for my new pressure pot to arrive, but it should give me some time to reflect on my notes and refine my process. I'll also get to working on some new designs if I have time. I get some non-casting updates to you guys soon!

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:52:29 »
Woa good call, wouldn't want to risk anything as well

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 16:03:59 »
DO NOT EVER RECOMMEND A HARBOR FREIGHT PRESSURE POT.

This is something mentioned in thread after thread after thread.  It is never worth cheaping out on a pot.   Even if it doesn't maim or kill you, if it goes, it can cause substantial property damage.  The risk to yourself is not worth the cost savings.  If you can't afford a proper pot, explore other options.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:23:55 »

This is something mentioned in thread after thread after thread.  It is never worth cheaping out on a pot.   Even if it doesn't maim or kill you, if it goes, it can cause substantial property damage.  The risk to yourself is not worth the cost savings.  If you can't afford a proper pot, explore other options.

+1
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:28:19 »

+1

Yeah, you guys are right. I've retired the pot and won't be using it again, but I'm looking forward to my CA Tech pot. It's going to be a great feeling not constantly worrying about explosions. Thanks for the advice guys!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:50:52 »
That Saber cap is so nice.

Subd for progress