Author Topic: Hi guys! I'm new here...  (Read 1984 times)

Offline rondg

Hi guys! I'm new here...
« on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 22:10:25 »
Hi guys! The breaking of my Razer Blackwidow blue switch keyboard led me here. And boy oh boy, I am glad it broke. It opened my eyes to this wonderful world. Now, I was in search of a replacement keybaord and was considering to buy the Corsair Strafe RGB mx browns, but I do not have the budget to buy one. I searched for other inexpensive alternatives, one click led to another and BAAAM!!! I can build my own keybaord?!? Yes please!!!

I registered so that I can learn stuff from the community. I hope that in time, I will learn enough to contribute to the community.

FYI, I hate my keyboard right now. It's a $5 Japanese layout dome keyboard. I am not Japanese. I hope I can replace this ASAP...  :-[

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
Re: Hi guys! I'm new here...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 23:12:25 »
Hi guys! The breaking of my Razer Blackwidow blue switch keyboard led me here. And boy oh boy, I am glad it broke. It opened my eyes to this wonderful world. Now, I was in search of a replacement keybaord and was considering to buy the Corsair Strafe RGB mx browns, but I do not have the budget to buy one. I searched for other inexpensive alternatives, one click led to another and BAAAM!!! I can build my own keybaord?!? Yes please!!!

I registered so that I can learn stuff from the community. I hope that in time, I will learn enough to contribute to the community.

FYI, I hate my keyboard right now. It's a $5 Japanese layout dome keyboard. I am not Japanese. I hope I can replace this ASAP...  :-[
Hey there, welcome :) Which keyboard are you planning to build? What kind of switches were you thinking about installing?
Chris Schammert

Offline rondg

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 23:41:17 »
Thanks!

To be honest, I'm not yet sure. I'm thinking of getting the parts from winkeyless, but I really like GON's keyboards. I am a bit worried though because I read that some orders from 2014 are still not yet fulfilled up to now. I am very curious about the Zealio Switches, but I would like to read some more before jumping the gun.

I would like a 104 ANSI, a TKL and a numpad (just because  ;D), but I haven't really thought about what to build first.

Do you have any recommendations?  :)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 23:49:40 »
Good options :thumb:

Filco Majestouch is a solid keyboard. Filco makes a numpad and there is a replacement controller for it to make it fully programmable.

Nothing like a GON or Winkeyless though.

Have you met Topre?
Chris Schammert

Offline rondg

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 23:54:32 »
Have you met Topre?

I have heard about Topre!!! I would like to try one in the future. The Realforce 104UG "High-Profile" looks very appealing, but comes with a high price tag...  :-\

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 00:47:05 »
Oh lawd yes :)) But not nearly as expensive as a GON keyboard
Chris Schammert

Offline rondg

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 03:30:41 »
True dat.. True dat..  :))

But I guess I will also be paying the experience of building a keyboard  ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 20:27:25 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Building a keyboard almost always turns out more expensive than buying one pre-built.  You also need a good soldering iron and lots of patience.

Also note that the Corsair Strafe RGB has a non-standard bottom row, so finding replacement keycaps will be slightly more difficult.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ