Author Topic: Tenkeyless palm rest  (Read 4913 times)

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
Tenkeyless palm rest
« on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 09:58:32 »
Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good palm rest for the Filco tenkeyless?  I’d like something that’s low profile.  The Filco official one that’s selling at elitekeyboards seems perfect but it costs much more than I want to spend ($42!).

Thanks much
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline itlnstln

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 10:03:40 »
Take a "thick mousepad" type and cut it.  It'll set you back about $3 plus the cost of scissors if you don't already have any.

Offline rdjack21

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 10:52:49 »
That $42 wrist rest on EliteKeyboards is really nice though. I have 2 of them and really think that they are worth the money.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline bigpook

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 11:33:30 »
I will second the pricey wrist rest at elitekeyboards. They cost a bit much but are very nice.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 11:34:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;140476
Take a "thick mousepad" type and cut it.  It'll set you back about $3 plus the cost of scissors if you don't already have any.

Hmm I do have some spare mousepads, will experiment when I'm home.  My biggest issue is going to be that I need to use it for gaming and for the rest to stay inplace and not move around.

Quote from: rdjack21;140501
That $42 wrist rest on EliteKeyboards is really nice though. I have 2 of them and really think that they are worth the money.

No doubt I am sure it is quality judging by their keyboards; I mite spoil myself for Xmas and get it if I can't find an equivalent sometime soon.
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline itlnstln

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 11:58:16 »
Quote from: mljs54;140514
My biggest issue is going to be that I need to use it for gaming and for the rest to stay inplace and not move around.

This won't be an issue.  You will probably have a harder time keeping your keyboard in place.

Offline AndrewZorn

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 12:19:25 »
i also must say i really like the Filco rest.  i couldnt get myself to spend that much, and didnt, but after getting mine, it really is of very high quality.  how often do you still find real-leather products?  this should last longer than the keyboards.

Offline itlnstln

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 12:28:11 »
I might just have to pony up for a Filco pad myself.  I haven't been able to get myself to do it since I love my old-school one so much.  I was really hoping to get a hand-carved wood/leather rest from Lam.  When he things get better for him, I'll have to bug him about it.

Offline HungryPillow

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 20:00:09 »
Another vote for the Filco. I bought one with my 87U and it's fantastic. It's the first time I've ever used a palm rest and I don't think I will ever go without one again...
Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Filco Majestouch MX Blues | Corsair K70 RGB MX Browns | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clears / Browns | WhiteFox Aria MX Browns

Offline rdjack21

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 20:46:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;140537
I might just have to pony up for a Filco pad myself.  I haven't been able to get myself to do it since I love my old-school one so much.  I was really hoping to get a hand-carved wood/leather rest from Lam.  When he things get better for him, I'll have to bug him about it.

Once I get a few more tools I'm going to make some of those myself. I really like the wood HHKB Pro 2 rest I have and would like a longer one for my 87U and a thiner one for my MD01B0.

I have already found a supplier for the leather and will most likely use oak for the wood. If I was not planing on putting leather on it I would look at a different wood but seeing that I will be covering it I will stick with what I can get locally.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline bbranigin

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 December 2009, 23:56:21 »
bought the filco wrist rest with my tenkeyless blue - I use it backwards and it makes quite the difference in comfort.

Offline Rajagra

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 06:09:32 »
Has anyone tried PUK rests?
I keep telling myself they are silly, but part of me wonders if they might be good.

Offline didjamatic

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 07:28:23 »
Quote from: mljs54;140469
Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a good palm rest for the Filco tenkeyless?  I’d like something that’s low profile.  The Filco official one that’s selling at elitekeyboards seems perfect but it costs much more than I want to spend ($42!).

Thanks much

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline bigpook

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 10:15:01 »
twinkies! you can change the 'feel' of the twinkie wrist rest by swapping out the filling.
strawberry jam works great for me : )
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline rdjack21

Tenkeyless palm rest
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 December 2009, 10:28:30 »
Quote from: Rajagra;140860
Has anyone tried PUK rests?
I keep telling myself they are silly, but part of me wonders if they might be good.

Hmm that is an interesting concept but not sure I would like the shape of it. And the price is not to bad either. To bad I don't use a mouse if I did I might be tempted to get one and try it out.
Keyboards