Author Topic: Seeking advice for restoring faded red double shot keycap  (Read 3170 times)

Offline lot_lizard

Seeking advice for restoring faded red double shot keycap
« on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 18:11:07 »
I have a rare IBM 3279 beamspring with a faded red double shot that is part of the secondary panel to control the legacy console itself.  It runs off a separate controller with a completely independent cable coming into the board.  I was just curious if anyone had suggestions for bringing the bright red back.  I would sacrifice texture for color if the results could be excellent.  Thoughts welcomed

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Seeking advice for restoring faded red double shot keycap
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 18:28:55 »
Maybe retrobrite?

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 18:39:38 »
I should have mentioned...  I've tried all the conventional methods.  This is actually faded on the surface, and not a film.  Afraid the only real option is "cutting" into the surface with either chemical or abrasive, but there really hasn't been much information on any of those attempts that I can find.  All poor man's testing (water buoyancy and acetone) would suggest this is PBT plastic

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 18:41:44 »
I don't know if this would help in your case but I remembered seeing a post about someone sand blasting keys to get rid of the shine. Maybe you can use a similar method to remove the faded layer?

Here's a link to the image gallery

imgur.com/gallery/4eYLT
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 19:00:37 »
Actually...  This is very clever, and something I hadn't even consider using on plastic.  I have a blaster cabinet, and a few mediums on hand to experiment with, along with some PBT keycaps from a Wheelwriter that I could practice on.  I would still welcome other thoughts, but this would be hard to beat I think.  Thanks again

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 20:18:51 »
Glad I could help :)

Also, here's the original deskthority thread

https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/keycap-sand-blasting-t12946.html

Probably has a lot more info than the Imgur gallery.
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 20:57:27 »
just drop it into some paint thinner 10/10

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 15:09:38 »
The results...  I had the advantage of having a completely flat top, and decided to wet sand using 400, 600, 1000, 1500.  I originally anticipated that I would sandblast to just to texturize at the very end (and might still) but wanted it as flat as possible before I did.  The UV fade was deeper than expected, and I might just pass on the additional texture since the 1500 leaves an unpolished look and this cap is literally irreplaceable

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 17:00:25 »
Now hit it with a UV protecting sealant so you don't run into it fading again.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 20:48:54 »
The results...  I had the advantage of having a completely flat top, and decided to wet sand using 400, 600, 1000, 1500.  I originally anticipated that I would sandblast to just to texturize at the very end (and might still) but wanted it as flat as possible before I did.  The UV fade was deeper than expected, and I might just pass on the additional texture since the 1500 leaves an unpolished look and this cap is literally irreplaceable

That looks great, considering where you started!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline lot_lizard

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 21:15:57 »
Appreciate that...  I was pleased.  I finally worked up the courage to completely tear this one down, clean, and add the xwhatsit controller and solenoid driver.  I took quite a few pictures along the way and will write something up in the coming week (or so)... After I wire up the lamps at the top of the board for capslock, numlock, and the "Lamp Test" switch.  The beamspring really is a fun animal. I have a couple, and this one has always been my favorite for layout and appearance.

Re: nubbinator...  Great idea on the UV sealant

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 00:25:52 »
Making stuff together would be a great place for a restore log :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ