Author Topic: Chromebooks...Any recommendations?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
Chromebooks...Any recommendations?
« on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 18:43:20 »
Used to have one of the very first Samsung models released and i liked it quite a bit.  However it got lost on a long trip and i have never since replaced it relying on my dated thinkpad and or iPad mini LTE.  Any recommendations on a reliable brand/model these days? So many to pick from it's insane!  Preferably one from Amazon since i have a good amount of gift card balance there still.

Cheers!
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Chromebooks...Any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 19:02:58 »
I have an ASUS C300 which has a 13.3 inch screen, and I quite like it. Before that, I had the Acer C710, and before that a Google Cr-48. The ASUS is pretty rugged, as I have dropped it several times with no ill effects. Of course, everything is solid state with a Chromebook, but the screen didn't crack, at least. And the processor is speedy enough for video playback and general browsing tasks.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 19:14:27 »
I have an ASUS C300 which has a 13.3 inch screen, and I quite like it. Before that, I had the Acer C710, and before that a Google Cr-48. The ASUS is pretty rugged, as I have dropped it several times with no ill effects. Of course, everything is solid state with a Chromebook, but the screen didn't crack, at least. And the processor is speedy enough for video playback and general browsing tasks.

Yeah my only plans for it really are browsing/Placing orders for work on a website/E-mail etc.  iPad mini would be fine however my only Mech that works with it is my pok3r and MX Blues truly bother me after getting used to Topre.  The Chromebooks however allow me to use Chrome OS for super basic tasks and beyond that can install Linux via crouton should i so choose and use my incoming HHKB.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 20:10:47 »
r/chromeos has a buyer's guide the put together every few months. They breakdown various options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/43npku/chrome_os_buying_guide_february_march/

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 03:00:25 »
r/chromeos has a buyer's guide the put together every few months. They breakdown various options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/43npku/chrome_os_buying_guide_february_march/

Nice, thanks will have to do some reading later today. =)
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:57:56 »
I have a Chromebook Pixel (1st gen). I generally consider it my most regrettable tech purchase. And I once bought a pager watch.

Moral of the story is, don't spend more than you have to on a Chromebook.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:02:25 »
I have a Chromebook Pixel (1st gen). I generally consider it my most regrettable tech purchase. And I once bought a pager watch.

Haha yeah, I thought about buying a Pixel. But for the same price, you can get a decent refurbished Macbook, and have something that both looks fancy, and will do some actual computing tasks. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:08:04 »

Haha yeah, I thought about buying a Pixel. But for the same price, you can get a decent refurbished Macbook, and have something that both looks fancy, and will do some actual computing tasks. ;)
The selling point for me was the Retina-class display. As a web developer I needed a way to test high-DPI. At the time you couldn't get that on a Macbook without spending an extra $1,000.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jalaj

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 19:19:16 »
Assuming you want a Chromebook for a low cost, beater laptop device.
Consider the Toshiba Chromebook2 13" with 1080p IPS display. The display and built-in speakers are excellent.
If you want to go with a larger screen, consider the Acer 15" Chromebook with 1080p IPS display. I believe the base model with 1080p comes with a Celeron 3205U.
At minimum, get a Chromebook with 4GB RAM.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 05:32:30 »

That's great advice and i don't intend to, i had one of the earliest chromebooks so i know what they are suited for and not...and a secondary beater device is a great description there of.  I'm just very out of date on which ones basically are not built like utter crap, and the insane amount of new models and brands.  I even saw a Hisense model at one point..seems like every brand out there is making one now.

At home i have two high powered desktops both built for different purposes, i have an iPad mini Retina with LTE for really basic needs...But for extended typing when i have to sit and type for more than a few moments i'd like something cheap i can use some of my 60% boards (and incoming HHKB on) for more comfort.  The iPad is incredibly picky which boards work with it's USB adapter and thus far only my pok3r with MX Blues has worked and that's a bit loud depending on where i am at the moment in time.
Current Daily Driver/s