Author Topic: Bought a HHKB Pro2+ RF 23U!  (Read 4790 times)

Offline Azraelian

Bought a HHKB Pro2+ RF 23U!
« on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 16:31:35 »
Hi! I just managed to get a pair of used HHKB Pro2 and a RF 23U for what I think is a decent price.. $240 w/ shipping.. Please tell me it is a good deal (: Really need a num pad and have been lurking on the internet for really long to get a good deal on HHKB pro2 to try it out!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Bought a HHKB Pro2+ RF 23U!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 16:40:40 »
That's not a good deal, it's an absolute steal.  You basically got a free 23UB.

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 16:58:56 »

I thought so too but was still reluctant for some reason, thanks for putting my heart at ease. :P

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 16:59:51 »

Are you sure about that? A new HHKB Pro 2 goes for like $230 (maybe less). Used they're between $180-200. Assuming it's $180, the 23UB would then be $60 of the $240. Not a bad price, but not free.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 17:02:58 »

Are you sure about that? A new HHKB Pro 2 goes for like $230 (maybe less). Used they're between $180-200. Assuming it's $180, the 23UB would then be $60 of the $240. Not a bad price, but not free.

Good luck finding a used HHKB Pro2 for under $200 shipped.  It can happen, but it's rare.  You can sometimes score a new one for that much getting it imported, but still not with the numpad.  $40 for a numpad that's $120 + shipping is as good as free.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 18:53:29 »
Hi, welcome!

Amazing deal. Finding matching pieces for $240?! Free Realforce numeric keypad? Yes please! :eek:
Chris Schammert

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 19:17:55 »
Hi, welcome!

Amazing deal. Finding matching pieces for $240?! Free Realforce numeric keypad? Yes please! :eek:

Thank you! I'm glad that I am the lucky duck. Also according to the item info: "100% of the sale of this item will benefit Computers 2 SD Kids" charity group! So I couldn't be happier :D

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 19:47:07 »
Hi! I just managed to get a pair of used HHKB Pro2 and a RF 23U for what I think is a decent price.. $240 w/ shipping.. Please tell me it is a good deal (: Really need a num pad and have been lurking on the internet for really long to get a good deal on HHKB pro2 to try it out!

I paid 209$ for my HHKB Pro 2 new by itself....that's one hell of a deal you got there.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:33:45 »

I paid 209$ for my HHKB Pro 2 new by itself....that's one hell of a deal you got there.

I hope the conditions they are in are not too bad! The HHKB was manufactured in 2011

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 13:42:21 »
Welcome!

That's a very great deal. I've always wanted to try the 23u but haven't really been able to justify it. Hope it serves you well! Your board and keypad look to be in pretty good shape :)

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 10:42:28 »
Welcome!

That's a very great deal. I've always wanted to try the 23u but haven't really been able to justify it. Hope it serves you well! Your board and keypad look to be in pretty good shape :)

Thanks! From the photos seller provided, they both seem to be in good condition despite the 2011 manufacture date. (:

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 19:40:15 »
Welcome!

Thanks! From the photos seller provided, they both seem to be in good condition despite the 2011 manufacture date. (:

Looks in pretty darn good shape from here, i was fairly shocked when i bought mine it had been made so recently as 1/2016, figured they would have had some sitting around in a warehouse as not to have a date so recent.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 01:17:22 »
FACT: Topre have 10 million more clicks in them than Cherry MX.

I think. Anyway, the boards look really good in those pictures!  :thumb:
Chris Schammert

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 20:37:04 »

I just received them today! They are fantastic except the top number row on the hhkb seems softer than the other keys.. They feel like 35g or something .. Could this due to over use?

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:42:26 »
If you so desperately need a num pad, why did you decide for a HHKB in the first place,and not for a Realforce? Just curious.

Offline Olumin

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:47:09 »

I just received them today! They are fantastic except the top number row on the hhkb seems softer than the other keys.. They feel like 35g or something .. Could this due to over use?

I bought my HHKB, which was nearly unused,and also have the same inconsistency in the switch-feel, a few fell lighter or mushier then others. That just seems to be a "normal" inconsistency. I Could be wrong of course, I  hope I am.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • KA2 touchpad on top
    • csmertx.com
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:50:38 »
If you so desperately need a num pad, why did you decide for a HHKB in the first place,and not for a Realforce? Just curious.
Strange question to ask after the deal already went down. Did you check the price of the two items in question vs. the price of one full sized Realforce?

You can't detach the 104 Realforce's numeric keypad. Just sayin'  :p
Chris Schammert

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 23:56:14 »

I bought my HHKB, which was nearly unused,and also have the same inconsistency in the switch-feel, a few fell lighter or mushier then others. That just seems to be a "normal" inconsistency. I Could be wrong of course, I  hope I am.

15G +/- variance on any particular rubber dome within the sheet.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:23:38 »

Oh, I have a RF 87U 55g black. Just wanted to try out the 45g as well. I really like both so far to be honest :p

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:28:36 »
in those rare times when a numpad comes in handy. also re positioning of the numpad helps when space is limited.

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:34:05 »
 :-\
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:38:41 by Azraelian »

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:36:35 »
in those rare times when a numpad comes in handy. also re positioning of the numpad helps when space is limited.

Totally agree, I really like the re-positioning aspect and use it at work since I do a lot of excel number crunches off my laptop.

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 00:37:56 »

Yes I also see that on the box. But it seems like the RF 87U 55g has a way better consistency in between individual keys than this HHKB pro2, and it's just the top number row that are softer so I am wondering +/- 15g was intentionally just for that row since they are "further" to reach? I think a 30% margin on key weight would be pretty huge from a scientific or industrial point of view. I can't think of a thing that is manufactured and QCed with that kind of marginal span... Unless, of course that is how they want to make it to be hence "intentionally". Normal typing on the alphabetic row is awesome that doesn't feel like a 5 yo keyboard. I feel i can type slightly faster on the 45g but the 55g gives me a stronger force on the fingers like its talking back to me!! (45g is more like a whisper :P)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 04:28:21 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, that is a great deal!  I recall a time, not so long ago, then 23UB was rarer than hen's teeth, and someone here was so desperate to get one that they were offering a small collection of artisan keycaps just in exchange for information leading to a purchase!

So you're a Topre fan, eh?  Nice :)  Feel free to post your pictures in the post your Topre keyboard thread.

Btw I got my 2011-02 HHKB (white) for AUD$180 + shipping (around AUD$200 total) shipped a couple of years ago :p  In near perfect condition, but minus box, and with a little shine on the space bar.  I subsequently replaced the space bar with a PBT one.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Olumin

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 14:13:59 »

Yes I also see that on the box. But it seems like the RF 87U 55g has a way better consistency in between individual keys than this HHKB pro2, and it's just the top number row that are softer so I am wondering +/- 15g was intentionally just for that row since they are "further" to reach? I think a 30% margin on key weight would be pretty huge from a scientific or industrial point of view. I can't think of a thing that is manufactured and QCed with that kind of marginal span... Unless, of course that is how they want to make it to be hence "intentionally". Normal typing on the alphabetic row is awesome that doesn't feel like a 5 yo keyboard. I feel i can type slightly faster on the 45g but the 55g gives me a stronger force on the fingers like its talking back to me!! (45g is more like a whisper :P)

On my particular board its the ,. and J key which are "softer". The top number row seems fine, really seems to be a inconsistency, which is surprising considering the high quality standards of Japanese manufacturing, especially considering the price of such a keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 March 2016, 05:23:02 »

On my particular board its the ,. and J key which are "softer". The top number row seems fine, really seems to be a inconsistency, which is surprising considering the high quality standards of Japanese manufacturing, especially considering the price of such a keyboard.

I can't say I've noticed any variation across my HHKB.  OTOH I do type fairly heavily, and the 45g feels a bit too light all over :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Azraelian

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 10:31:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, that is a great deal!  I recall a time, not so long ago, then 23UB was rarer than hen's teeth, and someone here was so desperate to get one that they were offering a small collection of artisan keycaps just in exchange for information leading to a purchase!

So you're a Topre fan, eh?  Nice :)  Feel free to post your pictures in the post your Topre keyboard thread.

Btw I got my 2011-02 HHKB (white) for AUD$180 + shipping (around AUD$200 total) shipped a couple of years ago :p  In near perfect condition, but minus box, and with a little shine on the space bar.  I subsequently replaced the space bar with a PBT one.

Thank you! I do really enjoy typing on topre, more so than on cherry XD I will see if I can get a few artisan topre keycaps on my RF and HHKB for some photo ops (: I got my RF 87u from massdrop which came with the PBT spacebar and I swapped it with the stock one on HHKB right away.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:45:23 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you! I do really enjoy typing on topre, more so than on cherry XD I will see if I can get a few artisan topre keycaps on my RF and HHKB for some photo ops (: I got my RF 87u from massdrop which came with the PBT spacebar and I swapped it with the stock one on HHKB right away.

My HHKB was secondhand and did have a little shine on the space bar.

Currently sporting a white PBT space bar - makes a huge difference :)